Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 12:05 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times

Advertisements

Ive posted this in the Travel forum, but thought maybe it would find more people in the World forum.

I will be traveling alone to Japan in September. Its only the 2nd timeIve never set foot out of the Southeast (Minus Texas for a week in high school, and Pennsylvania when I was 10, which I dont remember well at all), much less the United States, and Im both excited and scared at the same time. Im hoping ya'll will help me by answering a few questions (any question answered or imput given would be greatly appreciated)

1. Can anyone recommend an airline for me? Any airlines I should absolutely avoid flying with?

2. When I change planes ( Most likely in Chicago), will I have to go through the baggage collection/checking process again?

3. Whats the most important thing to remember so I dont get totally lost in the airport?

4. Am I allowed a pen/pencil on my flight so I can do some schoolwork? (I'll be missing a few classes to make this trip, and dont want to fall behind. Its an 18 hour flight so..yeah. lol)

5 What papers should I have on me at all times (besides passport)?

6. Is my purse (just a average-size purse, nothing huge) considered carry-on luggage? If so, do they charge me extra for it now, even if its light?

Sorry for all the questions...so much planning to do and Ive never done this before. He's in the Navy so its all up to me to plan the getting-there part. Any help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
When I change planes ( Most likely in Chicago), will I have to go through the baggage collection/checking process again?

No, your bag will be transfered to the correct plane for you, if everything goes right. Make sure your bags have a tag with your contact info and destination, in case they get lost.

Whats the most important thing to remember so I dont get totally lost in the airport?

Get there early, at least 1 hour, and read the signs.

Am I allowed a pen/pencil on my flight so I can do some schoolwork?

Yes, but still check the tsa and airline's website for what is allowed and what is not.

Is my purse (just a average-size purse, nothing huge) considered carry-on luggage? If so, do they charge me extra for it now, even if its light?

Most airlines allow a "personal bag" (purse, laptop case, backpack, etc.) and one carry-on bag. Check your airline's website to be sure, but I've never heard of one not allowing it.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 PM

118 posts, read 485,551 times
Your'e a person after my own heart! lol I travelled to Tokyo, Japan...alone... for two weeks. Please see my answers below. PM me if you need more info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Ive posted this in the Travel forum, but thought maybe it would find more people in the World forum.

I will be traveling alone to Japan in September. Its only the 2nd timeIve never set foot out of the Southeast (Minus Texas for a week in high school, and Pennsylvania when I was 10, which I dont remember well at all), much less the United States, and Im both excited and scared at the same time. Im hoping ya'll will help me by answering a few questions (any question answered or imput given would be greatly appreciated)

1. Can anyone recommend an airline for me? Any airlines I should absolutely avoid flying with? JAL Airlines or just check www.orbitz.com, play with the dates to get a cheap fare.

2. When I change planes ( Most likely in Chicago), will I have to go through the baggage collection/checking process again? No.

3. Whats the most important thing to remember so I dont get totally lost in the airport? Research the best options of getting to your hotel befroe hand. Narita Airport isn't that confusing. I took the airport bus into Shinjuku and paid around $25. Well worth it. I was too scared to navigate the train system after a 17 hour flight. Now I can do it.

4. Am I allowed a pen/pencil on my flight so I can do some schoolwork? (I'll be missing a few classes to make this trip, and dont want to fall behind. Its an 18 hour flight so..yeah. lol) Yes.

5 What papers should I have on me at all times (besides passport)? I cannot stress this enough...MAKE COPIES OF ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS AND PUT THEM IN EVERY BAG YOU HAVE!!!! Put your passport in the hotel safe. There's NO reason to carry it around with you in Japan unless you're trying to get into nightclubs. In that case they will check your passport to verfiy your age.

6. Is my purse (just a average-size purse, nothing huge) considered carry-on luggage? If so, do they charge me extra for it now, even if its light? Check the airline's site.

Sorry for all the questions...so much planning to do and Ive never done this before. He's in the Navy so its all up to me to plan the getting-there part. Any help is much appreciated!
You're going to have a ball!!!! Check out Tsukiji Fish Market @ 5am and enjoy the best sushi breakfast ever!!!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:47 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:

1. Can anyone recommend an airline for me? Any airlines I should absolutely avoid flying with?

2. When I change planes ( Most likely in Chicago), will I have to go through the baggage collection/checking process again?

3. Whats the most important thing to remember so I dont get totally lost in the airport?

4. Am I allowed a pen/pencil on my flight so I can do some schoolwork? (I'll be missing a few classes to make this trip, and dont want to fall behind. Its an 18 hour flight so..yeah. lol)

6. Is my purse (just a average-size purse, nothing huge) considered carry-on luggage? If so, do they charge me extra for it now, even if its light?

Question 1: You could try Japan Airlines or JAL. I think they’re pretty good. Otherwise, most US airlines would be okay to fly with

Question 2: You won't have to on the way out to Japan but you will on the way back if you're changing flights in Chicago. But it's a very simple procedure. Most international airports have a carousel in the baggage claim area where you can pick up your suitcase, quickly pass thro immigration and customs and then drop your suitcase onto another carousel for transfer to your next, domestic, flight. All without having to go out into the Arrivals area and queue at the ticket counter. And if you get confused, just ask someone for help. Most airport officials are actually quite helpful, especially if you're a US citizen .

Question 3: For international flights you usually have to arrive 2.5-3 hours ahead of the flight. I would arrive as early as possible giving you plenty of time to get checked in, pass thro Security, grab something to eat and drink, etc.

Question 4: I’ve never had any problems taking thro writing implements

Question 5: Your ticket and boarding pass. Keep them somewhere safe like an inside zipped pocket, but close to hand so you’re not digging thro your bag desperately trying to find them while people are queueing behind you or the TSA agent is getting impatient.

Question 6: See above. You should be fine with a bag and “wheelie” (one of those small overnight bags with wheels and pull-out handle). It’s people who try to bring dozens of plastic shopping bags and a suitcase-sized carry-on that usually tick off the TSA agents.

One last note re your travels: 1) Wear comfortable shoes that you can loosen as your feet will swell on the long-haul flights. Running shoes or even sandals would work, although a lot of flights are very cold so also bring socks if you take your shoes off. 2) Wear layers. It can get very warm and very cold on those planes and there may not be enough blankets to go around. 3) Be prepared to take off your jacket, shoes and belt when going thro Security – another good reason to wear socks! 4) Are you a light sleeper? If so, a visit to the Dr for some Ambien might be a good idea as long-distance flights are horrendous for getting any sleep. And I always pack an eye-mask, travel-size toothpaste and brush for freshening up before we land and some eyedrops as the A/C makes the planes very dry.

Good luck and have fun! Here's hoping the flight goes well and you have a great time in Japan.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM

209 posts, read 679,980 times
Quote:

You've already had a couple of informative responses to your query, so I'll just add one piece of advice:

Scan and make copies of all of your personal documentation (passport and driver's license) and carry them in a safe place at all times.

Save the scanned documentation to your email, that way if you lose everything you just need internet access to regain control of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia