U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM

118 posts, read 446,587 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm going to be in Egpyt from 2/10-2/27 and I'm having difficulty finding a cheap option to Jerusalem. One of my co-workers from Egypt told me not to ride the bus because it's dangerous. Another person told me to try EL Al airlines, but they only have a flight going to Cairo from Tel Aviv. I've researched plane multi-city plane fares and it around an extra $800 to go! I was told I could get a cab from Mt.Sinai to Jerusalem, but it would cost a fortune (I'm on a backpacker budget).

Ahhh!!!! Help me! I really reallly really want to visit Israel while I'm in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 05:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Swim across the meditteranean

Sorry I have no idea. Does Israel even have a train system? I don't recall seeing one when I was there.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:52 PM

Well...there's no train to anywhere in Israel from Cairo. Swim huh? Maybe I could walk there and record my journey? Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Swim across the meditteranean

Sorry I have no idea. Does Israel even have a train system? I don't recall seeing one when I was there.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:58 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,299,438 times
Quote:
Another person told me to try EL Al airlines, but they only have a flight going to Cairo from Tel Aviv.
That's really not a problem. Ben Gurion airport is less than 50 miles from Jerusalem, and you can simply take a bus there. I'm pretty sure Egged bus company has a route going from the airport right into Jerusalem's central bus station.

Anyhow, Israel only has two international airports, and the other one is way down south near the city of Eilat.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Israel does have an internal commuter train system (see route map Route Map in English). Israel main bus company Egged: www.egged.co.il/Eng has buses all over Israel including a route from Eilat (which is near Aqaba in Jordan on the Red Sea). Perhaps you find a flight from Cairo to Aqaba, which borders Israel & Eilat (Eilat & Aqaba are just a few miles apart!) and then cross the border there at the Wadi Araba Crossing/South Border, located in the south, 324 kms away from Amman, connecting the two Red Sea resorts of Eilat and Aqaba. These are open Sun – Thurs 06:30hrs – 22:00hrs and Fri – Sat 0800hrs – 20:00hrs. At these crossing, visas for most nationalities can be obtained at the border; prior permits are not needed except for restricted nationalities. Wadi Araba Crossing closes on Islamic New Year day and Yom Kippur. Once you are on the Israeli side you could take an Egged bus up to Jerusalem or fly from Eilat to Tel Aviv & take a bus or train from the Tel Aviv area to Jerusalem.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Thank you! I'm going to check this out. One of my co-workers told me not to take the bus because they go around dangerous curves. Any truth to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Israel does have an internal commuter train system (see route map Route Map in English). Israel main bus company Egged: www.egged.co.il/Eng has buses all over Israel including a route from Eilat (which is near Aqaba in Jordan on the Red Sea). Perhaps you find a flight from Cairo to Aqaba, which borders Israel & Eilat (Eilat & Aqaba are just a few miles apart!) and then cross the border there at the Wadi Araba Crossing/South Border, located in the south, 324 kms away from Amman, connecting the two Red Sea resorts of Eilat and Aqaba. These are open Sun Thurs 06:30hrs 22:00hrs and Fri Sat 0800hrs 20:00hrs. At these crossing, visas for most nationalities can be obtained at the border; prior permits are not needed except for restricted nationalities. Wadi Araba Crossing closes on Islamic New Year day and Yom Kippur. Once you are on the Israeli side you could take an Egged bus up to Jerusalem or fly from Eilat to Tel Aviv & take a bus or train from the Tel Aviv area to Jerusalem.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:16 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
Thank you! I'm going to check this out. One of my co-workers told me not to take the bus because they go around dangerous curves. Any truth to this?
I haven't taken a bus between Cairo & Tel Aviv as I can't tell you about that.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:09 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,342,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-townChica View Post
Hello all,

I'm going to be in Egpyt from 2/10-2/27 and I'm having difficulty finding a cheap option to Jerusalem. One of my co-workers from Egypt told me not to ride the bus because it's dangerous. Another person told me to try EL Al airlines, but they only have a flight going to Cairo from Tel Aviv. I've researched plane multi-city plane fares and it around an extra $800 to go! I was told I could get a cab from Mt.Sinai to Jerusalem, but it would cost a fortune (I'm on a backpacker budget).

Ahhh!!!! Help me! I really reallly really want to visit Israel while I'm in the area.

i understand your frustrations! i did the same thing last winter (ended up not going to egypt after all that though).

anyway how much was the flight from tel aviv to cairo? whenever i looked, they were insanely expensive. anyway like someone said tel aviv isnt that far from jerusalem so you could just take a bus from jerusalem to tel aviv and then from tel aviv fly into cairo.

its a long trip to cairo from israel. what you would have to do if you go by bus is a route like this:
1. jerusalem to eilat LONG TRIP (have done that)
2. eilat to taba (taba is the border town from israel into egypt) which is a short trip
3. then taba into somewhere by the red sea like sharm(really want to do this). not that long of a trip, but forgot the time sorry.
3. sharm to cairo which takes forever. this should give you an idea
Egypt bus timetables

in any case, when getting on the bus into cairo it is very confusing figuring out which bus is yours unless you know a little arabic or have someone there that can help you. i would love to go to egypt one day.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:29 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Forget about what people say about "dangerous busses". If you're really a backpacker, you''ll see a lot more dangerous busses than that. Wait till you get to Bolivia.

Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are only an hour apart, there will be busses every few minutes. I'm not sure, but I doubt if they have separate airports. Most Isreali's hitchhike arouind the country.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,342,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Forget about what people say about "dangerous busses". If you're really a backpacker, you''ll see a lot more dangerous busses than that. Wait till you get to Bolivia.

Tel Aviv and Jerusalem are only an hour apart, there will be busses every few minutes. I'm not sure, but I doubt if they have separate airports. Most Isreali's hitchhike arouind the country.
hmm i dont know if i would recommend 100% taking the buses into egypt and i have stayed in hostels around the world. i went to israel when conflict skyrocketed and many tourists had drills in their hotels and had to leave areas close to gaza.
i was planning to go from eilat to egypt just went all this happened. most israelis i met said they wouldnt recommend me going to egypt during this time (im a jewish american young woman and traveled solo). i was disappointed but glad with my decision and i am a risk taker when i travel.

i did however hitchhike around israel and had no problems. its pretty much the norm there.

personally i dont know the op's situation. as a young woman though i wouldnt go to egypt alone and there are few places i would say this about. i had constant harassment in parts of israel and some people i got friendly with (all different religions) said it would be a million times worse in egypt if i were to go solo. i am not into tours, and hate the idea of traveling with other people, but for safety reasons i definitely would go to egypt one day if i had a boyfriend who would take me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or