U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,605,111 times
Reputation: 7605

Advertisements

I have connections to the Philippines via my sister's in laws. My sister recently visited down there for the first time.

It might be cheap if you live as a local, but anything "western" and the prices are about the same, maybe with a slight discount.

Armed guards are everywhere and crime and kidnapping is quite common. If you don't look like a local you are a prime target for kidnapping and ransom.

The police are definitely corrupt. My BIL paid a bribe to get his drivers license back for making a small mistake while driving. It was done under the table with hints and winks.

The noise and traffic in Manila is 24 hours a day with no let up. The heat and humidity never really go away either.

The countryside is a lot better and more scenic but there are some no go areas for foreigners so be aware.

The family unit is interesting. Often there are a few people that earn money and then a swath of relatives mooches off of that. If you marry a filipina you better be prepared for people lining up at your door, even if you are in the USA. Also it's a matriarchal society, so the girls might be easy to get at first but they like to trap men and once they do it's screaming meemie time with a lot of drama and control by the woman. They also don't think much about personal space, so they wouldn't care if 20 people moved in with you.

All in all, it sounds like something you better know what you are getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,277 posts, read 5,178,294 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I have connections to the Philippines via my sister's in laws. My sister recently visited down there for the first time.

It might be cheap if you live as a local, but anything "western" and the prices are about the same, maybe with a slight discount.

Armed guards are everywhere and crime and kidnapping is quite common. If you don't look like a local you are a prime target for kidnapping and ransom.

The police are definitely corrupt. My BIL paid a bribe to get his drivers license back for making a small mistake while driving. It was done under the table with hints and winks.

The noise and traffic in Manila is 24 hours a day with no let up. The heat and humidity never really go away either.

The countryside is a lot better and more scenic but there are some no go areas for foreigners so be aware.

The family unit is interesting. Often there are a few people that earn money and then a swath of relatives mooches off of that. If you marry a filipina you better be prepared for people lining up at your door, even if you are in the USA. Also it's a matriarchal society, so the girls might be easy to get at first but they like to trap men and once they do it's screaming meemie time with a lot of drama and control by the woman. They also don't think much about personal space, so they wouldn't care if 20 people moved in with you.

All in all, it sounds like something you better know what you are getting into.
This is pretty much how my husband describes the place. I think that expats with money and locals have extremely different views of the place, which is expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,086,823 times
Reputation: 2625
Hot girls in both countries. I would be a player there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 PM
 
985 posts, read 3,266,251 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Uh, yeah. Well, thank you for coming out to play all the same!
I don't know what you mean, but you're welcome nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,037,756 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
All part of the fun! Play with your mates is it a he or is it a she!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
In pretty much all major Asian languages* except the Semitic languages, there's no distinction between he/him/his and she/her.

*including Turk languages, Armenian and Indo-Iranian languages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Uh, yeah. Well, thank you for coming out to play all the same!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I don't know what you mean, but you're welcome nevertheless.
Either the linguistics lesson was a poor attempt at being funny or you're not following the ball, professor. Did you lose something in translation here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,021,775 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Hot girls in both countries. I would be a player there.
actually the girls would be more likely to play you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 PM
 
86 posts, read 301,960 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
My husband is 18 and lived in Quezon City, Philippines until he was 17. He absolutely hates the country and doesn't even want to go visit there. Why? He doesn't really go into detail. I think a lot of it has to do with how poor people are and other things. I tell him that I want to visit sometime, especially once we have kids. His response is always, "Do you want to get kidnapped?" The Philippines does have a lot of kidnappings. Mindanao has terrorists. Oh yeah, he also hated the weather with a passion. It was way too hot for him. While he lived in the city, he visited the province (country) because his mom lived out there. He didn't like it there, either. There has to be a reason all 8 of his sisters have come here, and his only brother also wants to come here.
Filipinos goes to US because they can earn more and live better there but I don't see Filipinos with enough money leaving the country. On the other hand, Foreigners visits Philippines and some live there because they already have the money.

When you say Philippines has lots iof kidnappings then it is really subjective. What's a lot to you? 3? 5? 10 in a year? I see and known many expats and no one has been kidnapped yet. I mean if you can pull out a figure on how many foreigners visit the Phils in a year and how many are kidnapped...do think it will even amount to 0.001 percent? That's 1 for every one hundred thousand...which I doubt its even that amount.

I think your husband is over exaggerating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,277 posts, read 5,178,294 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrej View Post
Filipinos goes to US because they can earn more and live better there but I don't see Filipinos with enough money leaving the country. On the other hand, Foreigners visits Philippines and some live there because they already have the money.

When you say Philippines has lots iof kidnappings then it is really subjective. What's a lot to you? 3? 5? 10 in a year? I see and known many expats and no one has been kidnapped yet. I mean if you can pull out a figure on how many foreigners visit the Phils in a year and how many are kidnapped...do think it will even amount to 0.001 percent? That's 1 for every one hundred thousand...which I doubt its even that amount.

I think your husband is over exaggerating.
It was on a list I saw of the countries with the most kidnappings. Is he over exaggerating? Of course he is. Sure Americans move there once they have money. It's a cheap country. None of his sisters were that hard up when they decided to come to the US. His brother is now going to come over. That makes all ten of the siblings leaving the country. If they had a lot of money would any of them move back? Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2010, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,235,881 times
Reputation: 9496
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrej View Post
When you say Philippines has lots iof kidnappings then it is really subjective. What's a lot to you? 3? 5? 10 in a year? I see and known many expats and no one has been kidnapped yet. I mean if you can pull out a figure on how many foreigners visit the Phils in a year and how many are kidnapped...do think it will even amount to 0.001 percent? That's 1 for every one hundred thousand...which I doubt its even that amount.
As a blue blond american guy who has been to the Philippines over ten times, been to over 30 islands, and even been to Mindinao a small handful of times....kidnappings are WAY exaggerated.

Even having took a bus across Mindinao (Mindinao is the large southern island, that if a kidnapping were to occur, would probably be the place, but only in about 20% of the island, not the entire island). It's the island that most Filipinos associate with kidnapping, and even they are scared to go there.

Nontheless, having taken a bus across Mindinao...and having taken extensive buses across SOUTH AMERICA....I always always felt much more nervous on buses in South America....every bus I've ever taken anywhere in the PHilippines has always been incredibly uneventful, the people so nice (unlike the many suspicious characters you see in South America), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 AM
 
12,671 posts, read 21,086,823 times
Reputation: 2625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
actually the girls would be more likely to play you
Makes it more challenging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top