U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:44 AM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,899,895 times

Advertisements

I saw an episode of House Hunters International last night and it was about Chiang Mai. It followed a guy who moved from San Diego to Chiang Mai. There are some great deals on very decent places to live there. He chose a location/place that was $203/month and very close to the shops, restaurants, etc. The place wasn't bad at all. He had another choice a bit further out that was $603/month and it was very modern...really nice, but he finally decided on the apartment/townhouse closer to the action! The episode was new, so it wasn't posted on their site yet. How do the prices for apartments in Chiang Mai compare to Bangkok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 11:52 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,773,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I saw an episode of House Hunters International last night and it was about Chiang Mai. It followed a guy who moved from San Diego to Chiang Mai. There are some great deals on very decent places to live there. He chose a location/place that was $203/month and very close to the shops, restaurants, etc. The place wasn't bad at all. He had another choice a bit further out that was $603/month and it was very modern...really nice, but he finally decided on the apartment/townhouse closer to the action! The episode was new, so it wasn't posted on their site yet. How do the prices for apartments in Chiang Mai compare to Bangkok?
bkk might be more expensive, but honestly accom is not a significant part of the budget over there. when i first moved there i was staying in lower sukhumvit, wanted to be in the center of the action, was 12,000b/month for a 1 br. eventually ended up moving to victory monument area, got a nice studio for 5,000b/month.

accom is one area where thailand wins hands down over philippines. accom is a RIP OFF in the PI.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,773,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
I won't lie, my skin just crawls when I see fat old white men living in Thailand, surrounded by a bevy of skinny 20 year old Thai beauties.

Aha.
most mongers aren't even white, much less fat or old.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:27 PM

5,097 posts, read 8,079,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Prices in Chiang Mai tend to be generally lower than they are Bangkok. In fact almost anywhere around the country is usually lower than BKK. The reason is largely because BKK is the economic and international business center of the country. There are other factors as well. Once in a while, there are some decent bargains to be found in BKK, but it generally means locating around the outskirts and away from the city center which may not always be convenient for getting around. Such bargains are getting harder to find though, and it really takes some intensive searching as well as luck to find them.

We've been eyeballing a new house in Chiang Mai. 2 stories, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, very tiny yard, nice district, fairly convenient to shopping and the airport, for 1.3 million baht (roughly around US $41,000). A friend of mine bought a house in the NE part of BKK and said about 5 years ago his place was about 4 times the price at the time compared to what we're looking at in Chiang Mai right now. I'm not really sure how large his house is, but it's not a luxury house. Regardless, there are certainly places around Chiang Mai that can be pretty expensive. Even so, it's still cheaper than for something similar in BKK. To be fair though, the house we're thinking about seems to be lower than other similar sized houses around CM, and we've been looking at houses in the CM area for about 2 decades. Average prices for similar new houses around CM tend to be closer to 2 to 2.5 million baht.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:50 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,127,450 times
I loved Chiang Mai when I was there a few years ago and would not mind, at all, moving there. Alas, it is too late now. <s>

Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,464,371 times
If I ever lived in Thailand it sure wouldn't be Bangkok. I think I'd take Malaysia anyway.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 AM

314 posts, read 542,419 times
The corruption in the Philippines is out of control, foreigners are targeted constantly and no investigation on foreigners being murdered in the country. You get into a confrontation with a local and you are always wrong, even when a child could see they are wrong, and the police will say everything is your fault. Thats why they drive around without insurance, if they get in an accident, the police just blame the foreigner.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:15 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,771,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
The corruption in the Philippines is out of control, foreigners are targeted constantly and no investigation on foreigners being murdered in the country. You get into a confrontation with a local and you are always wrong, even when a child could see they are wrong, and the police will say everything is your fault. Thats why they drive around without insurance, if they get in an accident, the police just blame the foreigner.
If it was so dangerous there, why do so many foreign men live there with their filipina wife? Certainly there is a corruption problem, other countries have the same problem, One could argue that we have corruption in government in the states, with high dollar lobbyists and politicians in it for power and themselves. Reference the danger question.
HOW MANY AMERICANS ARE BEING MURDERED?

Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,160,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Kob khun krub means thank you and Thai's appreciate good manners.
You can also say Kha Pun or Kha Pun Moc for thank you. Don't try substituting Vietnamese words if you get stuck; they may understand it but they get insulted.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,444,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
You post shows the problem right off, why would anyone get into a confrontation with anyone anywhere in the world. Live and let live. Better to walk away than argue.

It is actually quite safe for those of us who do not exhibit our first world countries attitudes. The loud mouths can eventually have problems, those who look down on the locals can eventually have problems, but those of us who treat others as we wish to have others treat us, rarely if ever have any issues. I have spent a lot of time in the Philippines in the last two decades and have never had a problem and I often walk around the streets.

First and foremost a person needs to check their first world attitude before entering the Philippines. Take public transportation or have a Filipino drive for you. It is so inexpensive to hire a driver once a person knows their way around, that it does not even pay to drive. If you must drive then give the right of way. I have many friends who have driven for many years in the Philippines and have never had an accident or even come close by using common courtesy. I drive in the US that way, so why should I change when in the Philippines.

Most foreigners who get themselves murdered are in business or are flashing their cash in one way or another, or are abusing and taking advantage of the locals. There are also those who marry the wrong woman who was only out for their money or starts out as a good loving wife but gets fed up of their cheating all the time, then she or a relative has them killed and she usually gets caught for that but that has happened in the US and other countries many times too.

Try walking down the streets of Chicago to name one area or any other area with lots of poor people and see how long before they part you with your cash and probably with your life, well the Philippines for the most part is poor, so we stand out enough without our loud mouths, gold chains, flashy watches, large rolls of cash because some of us have to show how rich we are, etc. I have seen it first hand way too often where a loud mouthed westerner has to cop an attitude with a local because he expects the Philippine people to bow to him since he think he is a some sort of king and feels he is better than them.

When forums tell a person they can live like a king on a low amount of money in a foreign country, they do not mean that they have to act like one.

When in the Philippines act nice and fit into THEIR culture and a person will be safe for the most part. How many times have you seen a local yelling or even raising their voice, rarely if ever and I do not ever recall seeing it even once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or