Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,134,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Alcohol is very expensive in Thailand.
I can live for a month on what some people spend on a weekly bar bill.

I'll be retiring there in a few years.
I am not at all interested in the sex trade and most ex-pats aren't either.

I also think it's presumptuous to lump all expats into sextrade visitors.
The % of Thai women in the sex trades is about 5%; about the same as every other country in the world.

I prefer the Thai culture, history and "mai b(p)en lai" attitude.
I'm Buddhist as are most Thais.
Well I hope to meet you in person when I also retire there with my wife. Like you I have no interest in the sex trade.
Most Farrang that I know who live there do so because of how cheaply you can live as compared to the states. Your retirment money will buy a lot more.
Beer isn't to expensive, even the german brands.
As a non-Thai national you can never own property. You can own the home but not the land it sits on.
Like Chiel I love the culture, the food and the people of Thailand. I am struggling to learn to be a better Buddhist, lol my wife is doing her best.
Thai's are nonconfrontational. They opt to get along. That said they can gossip with the best of us.
They love to negotiate prices and its all part of the culture.
Yes many foreigners travel to Thailand for the promise of cheap, yet attractive prostitutes. I am sure more than a few come home with a good case of herpes too. But I would wager that most folks travel to Thailand because it is such a wonderful place to visit. Rich in history and traditions, a 4 star hotel can be had for anywhere between $45.00 a night and up depending on season and location. A continental breakfast which is more like Buffet style is the norm. Public transportation abounds and many of the people speak passable english. Kob khun krub means thank you and Thai's appreciate good manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 AM

633 posts, read 1,728,404 times
Alcohol is very expensive in Thailand ?????? Stayed 3 times in Phuket and 2 times in Bangkok and i never had such CHEAP alcohol before. Cocktails at the poolbars (Caipirinha 2$) a 500ml bottle of thai whisky ( Mekong) 6$, bottle of tiger beer or singha 50 ct, - THESE ARE THE MINI BAR PRICES IN A 4 star beach hotel!!!!-

One of the expensive places was the rooftop bar @ the lebua @ state tower in Bangkok. Incredible view over the city, about 62 floors high. With rooftop restaurant. Ok - i had a glass of champagner for 30 $ ... that was really expensive... but worth it...

My parents in law stay in Rawaii ( Phuket Island) every year from November to March since 3 years. They rented a longterm vacation rental, nice little house, 10 minutes to the beach, for 400 $ rent per month. but you can get cheaper one`s right on the beach for 250 - 300 $.

Live like a king... with 1000 Dollar per month... easily....

Melanie

Old 07-03-2010, 12:28 AM

291 posts, read 748,727 times
I 'd rather retire in Latin America

Old 07-03-2010, 05:54 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,855,026 times
no ones mentioned the ladyboys......

Old 07-04-2010, 12:56 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,058,565 times
My husband is 18 and lived in Quezon City, Philippines until he was 17. He absolutely hates the country and doesn't even want to go visit there. Why? He doesn't really go into detail. I think a lot of it has to do with how poor people are and other things. I tell him that I want to visit sometime, especially once we have kids. His response is always, "Do you want to get kidnapped?" The Philippines does have a lot of kidnappings. Mindanao has terrorists. Oh yeah, he also hated the weather with a passion. It was way too hot for him. While he lived in the city, he visited the province (country) because his mom lived out there. He didn't like it there, either. There has to be a reason all 8 of his sisters have come here, and his only brother also wants to come here.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times
^there are so many Americans living there, and plenty of other Americans & Filipino-Americans who visit every year. If you're in the city (even in the province) you will see Americans every day. I doubt that they're all getting kidnapped. I can see how someone wouldn't want to live there, but a visit would be harmless.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,058,565 times
They're not all getting kidnapped. I know that. I know that my husband is overstating it. I just think that sometimes the picture painted is rosey. My husband lived there and here. His sisters lived there and here. None of them would ever live there again.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,426,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
no ones mentioned the ladyboys......
All part of the fun! Play with your mates is it a he or is it a she!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 PM

983 posts, read 3,587,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
All part of the fun! Play with your mates is it a he or is it a she!
In pretty much all major Asian languages* except the Semitic languages, there's no distinction between he/him/his and she/her.

*including Turk languages, Armenian and Indo-Iranian languages.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:05 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,503,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
In pretty much all major Asian languages* except the Semitic languages, there's no distinction between he/him/his and she/her.

*including Turk languages, Armenian and Indo-Iranian languages.
Uh, yeah. Well, thank you for coming out to play all the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia