U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayawlex View Post
tagalog is not the main language to all filipinos. cebuano (visayan language) is spoken 70% of the population of the Philippines. tagalog was made national language by the people in manila through the president but most of the people from the visayas and mindanao can't speak it properly or have an awkward accent. I for a fact am not good with speaking tagalog, i grew up with cebuano and english, although I can understand tagalog but I'm not used to speaking.

and we are South East Asians (malaysian, indonesian, filipino), not East Asian (chinese, japanese, korean) which is why some people refer themselves as pacific islanders and budhism was never the dominant religion. If the spaniards didn't come, We would be most likely muslims as malaysia is a muslim country. Spanish were our national language prior to the americans, most of our laws were in spanish. our national heroes speak spanish, Jose Rizal's book were in spanish.

So all the news you see is just in manila, the so called "whole Philippines", when there's a Philippine revolution, it's only happening in manila (3% of the total population)
stats are kinda off. Visayan languages are spoken by about 30% of the population. They're separate language though, but closely related. Comparable to the relationship between Catalan, Spanish, and Portuguese. I think Tagalog has about the same number of speakers as all the Visayan language combined. And Metro Manila is 1/8th of the population of the Philippines. Manila itself is much smaller, but almost no one considers just Manila city as Manila because it's tiny

Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,853,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniana View Post
Filipinos are Austronesian people. End of.

If you don't know what Austronesian is, read the Wikipedia entry
Austronesian peoples - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or just google it. It's the genetically/anthropologically accepted grouping.

And the politically correct term now for anyone who may be Filipino, Indonesian, Malay, Timorese, Madagascan, Melanesian, Formosan, Polynesian or Micronesian.

Doesn't matter about culture, or how they view themselves, but rather how history and science sees the "Filipino". And according to science: Filipinos simply represent a very early offshoot from the great Austronesian maritime migration, starting in Luzon and ending up in Polynesia, Madagascar and New Zealand. Same group of people. Austronesians. Different times in the migration and history account for the slight differences in height or stature, culture and appearance, but all are near identical genetically.. give or take a bit of Papuan here, a bit of Indo-European there, a bit of Chinese here, and a bit of whatever there...

Fact. Deal with it.

... If you still are too stubborn to get rid of these irrelevant and erroneous "Asian race or Hispanic race " definitions in relation to the Philippines and her many varied Austronesian people, please read the above again, deal with the truth, and have a nice day.
Why are you talking about Race ???

Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Why are you talking about Race ???
Americans always have a problem distinguishing between race and cultural background. Anyway, best to ignore that poster, they won't be coming back anyway.

Still, I don't see how the Philippines is more than semi-Hispanic, and I think that is being generous.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Americans always have a problem distinguishing between race and cultural background. Anyway, best to ignore that poster, they won't be coming back anyway.

Still, I don't see how the Philippines is more than semi-Hispanic, and I think that is being generous.
Why ? The Philippines and all Spanish colonies had the same history... Colonised at the same time. Puerto Rico and the Philippines were both the last Spanish colonies left before 1898.
Spanish was once the official language of the Philippines during the Spanish time. I can only think of two things that make the Philippines different from other Spanish colonies ... Being in Asia and not speaking Spanish any more.
Anyway, Hispanic or Semi Hispanic is the same for me but not at all is really unacceptable because it is already denying our history and culture.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Why ? The Philippines and all Spanish colonies had the same history... Colonised at the same time. Puerto Rico and the Philippines were both the last Spanish colonies left before 1898.
Spanish was once the official language of the Philippines during the Spanish time. I can only think of two things that make the Philippines different from other Spanish colonies ... Being in Asia and not speaking Spanish any more.
Anyway, Hispanic or Semi Hispanic is the same for me but not at all is really unacceptable because it is already denying our history and culture.
I really fail to see how Filipinos are more Hispanic than me. Maybe I'm just ignorant on what Filipino society is like, but it seems like the Philippines managed to hold on to their own culture better than Puerto Rico's, also considering the fact that none of Puerto Rico's natives are alive today (I am from Puerto Rico, btw), and we only speak Spanish, unlike in your country where Spanish is reduced to just a legacy language with no useful day to day applications. Think about it this way, the Korean peninsula has been colonized by China and Japan for a long time throughout their history, that doesn't make the Korean people Chinese or Japanese, you see? Yes there is some overlap of the two cultures in Korea, but Korea is still distinctly Korean. You can't mistake it for something else.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 06-12-2014 at 11:56 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I really fail to see how Filipinos are more Hispanic than me. Maybe I'm just ignorant on what Filipino society is like, but it seems like the Philippines managed to hold on to their own culture better than Puerto Rico's, also considering the fact that none of Puerto Rico's natives are alive today (I am from Puerto Rico, btw), and we only speak Spanish, unlike in your country where Spanish is reduced to just a legacy language with no useful day to day applications. Think about it this way, the Korean peninsula has been colonized by China and Japan for a long time throughout their history, that doesn't make the Korean people Chinese or Japanese, you see? Yes there is some overlap of the two cultures in Korea, but Korea is still distinctly Korean. You can't mistake it for something else
If you're Puerto Rican, then nobody is arguing that Filipinos are more Hispanic than you

and Koreans can't be Chinese or Japanese because those are all nationalities. Therefore if you're Korean, you're not Chinese or Japanese. On the other hand, Hispanic is not a nationality, and nobody is arguing that Filipinos are part of some other nationality

Old 06-13-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
If you're Puerto Rican, then nobody is arguing that Filipinos are more Hispanic than you

and Koreans can't be Chinese or Japanese because those are all nationalities. Therefore if you're Korean, you're not Chinese or Japanese. On the other hand, Hispanic is not a nationality, and nobody is arguing that Filipinos are part of some other nationality
Wrong choice of words then, meant to say as Hispanic as me. I still maintain that the Philippines is only part Hispanic, or semi-Hispanic as I voted on. It's not as Hispanic as Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc. Spanish is barely spoken anymore in the country by the native born, which is the most important part in defining a society, along with customs and religion. Which, seems as you agree with me that the Philippines is semi-Hispanic, I suppose you agree with me then? AFAIK, the only "Hispanic" things in the Philippines are the Roman Catholic Church and the fact that a large portion of the population have Spanish last names (how many % wise?)

Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Wrong choice of words then, meant to say as Hispanic as me. I still maintain that the Philippines is only part Hispanic, or semi-Hispanic as I voted on. It's not as Hispanic as Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc. Spanish is barely spoken anymore in the country by the native born, which is the most important part in defining a society, along with customs and religion. Which, seems as you agree with me that the Philippines is semi-Hispanic, I suppose you agree with me then? AFAIK, the only "Hispanic" things in the Philippines are the Roman Catholic Church and the fact that a large portion of the population have Spanish last names (how many % wise?)
How about the food, the traditions- from weddings to debuts (quinceaneras) to religious and some non-religious festivals. Arguably the mindset is Hispanic-influenced (Mexican) but that's hard to quantify.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I really fail to see how Filipinos are more Hispanic than me. Maybe I'm just ignorant on what Filipino society is like, but it seems like the Philippines managed to hold on to their own culture better than Puerto Rico's, also considering the fact that none of Puerto Rico's natives are alive today (I am from Puerto Rico, btw), and we only speak Spanish, unlike in your country where Spanish is reduced to just a legacy language with no useful day to day applications. Think about it this way, the Korean peninsula has been colonized by China and Japan for a long time throughout their history, that doesn't make the Korean people Chinese or Japanese, you see? Yes there is some overlap of the two cultures in Korea, but Korea is still distinctly Korean. You can't mistake it for something else.
We are not saying we are more hispanic than you or than other hispanics. We are not competing especially since we no longer speak Spanish. We are simply just talking about our history and culture.
Yes, we have maintained some of our Malay culture same thing as with Latin America that have also maintained their amerindian culture but it cannot be denied how influential Spain was to the Philippines and how they have contributed so much to the culture that we have today. Have you never been with Filipinos ? Because there were already some Mexican posters who have been good friends with some Filipinos and have agreed about how similar Mexicans and Filipinos are.
If you come to the Philippines and spend some time with the people, then you would understand.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Wrong ! Religion and Spanish last names are not the only legacies Spain left to the Filipino people.
Our customs and traditions are mostly influenced by Spain.
Fiestas ? We have that too all over the Philippines all through out the year.
Semana Santa traditions of holy images procession ? We have it too and even got further by crucifying ourselves like the Mexicans.
Lechon ? We also have it and is considered a symbol of the Philippines.
Empanada ? Paella ? Picadillo ? Flan de Leche ? Dulce de Leche ? Tamales ? We have these foods too.
Weddings ... We also have lazos and Aras ( 13 coins given by the groom to the bride )
Quincinera ? We also have only that ours is celebrated at 18.
Just because we are in Asia doesn't mean all our practises and traditions are Asian... The Philippines was under strict Spanish rule for 4 centuries so just imagine how it changed our culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or