U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,704,056 times

Advertisements

In my book, Hispanic = Speak Spanish or parents speak Spanish, meaning that the kids are familiar with Hispanic culture and language.

Anybody else is not Hispanic.
When your grandfather is Hispanic, is very unlikely that that person knows Spanish or anything about Hispanic culture

Old 06-13-2014, 12:43 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
In my book, Hispanic = Speak Spanish or parents speak Spanish, meaning that the kids are familiar with Hispanic culture and language.

Anybody else is not Hispanic.
When your grandfather is Hispanic, is very unlikely that that person knows Spanish or anything about Hispanic culture
so most Filipinos were Hispanic 100 years ago, but not anymore

Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 AM

110 posts, read 106,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post

I agreed with this one.

I wouldn't tied Filipino with either hispanic or East Asian. Saying that Filipino are Hispanic just because of their culture or saying that Filipino are East Asian because of the coordinated the country located are both ignorant.

What is matter is the "race" of the people who live in the Philippines. Majority of people living in the Philippines are historically considered to be Austronesian race.

So Austronesian are the best way to define Filipino.

Are Filipinos Hispanic? Not 100% but Filipino CULTURE is a mixture of Asian, Hispanics, Western and Indigenous....But I think culturally Filipinos are Hispanics (Asian Latinos)...However, when it comes to race or ethnicity, Filipinos are Austronesians.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 AM

110 posts, read 106,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
so most Filipinos were Hispanic 100 years ago, but not anymore
They still are...they may not speak Spanish but their culture and traditions are Hispanic...yup with some other asian, western and indigenous heritage.

differentiate their culture with Malaysia or Singapore...these two are majority Asian in culture and traditions because of evident Chinese, Indian and indigenous Malay traditions..Indonesia is also the same.
Can you observe any significant British or Dutch dances, songs, food or customs in these countries...none predominantly.

But Philippines is different Spanish traditions are still predominantly observed...religious fiestas, churches, food, songs, etc are still significantly celebrated...They may not look Spanish Caucasians but they maintained the culture....again Hispanicized=Hispanic=Latin in culture.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:46 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post
They still are...they may not speak Spanish but their culture and traditions are Hispanic...yup with some other asian, western and indigenous heritage.

differentiate their culture with Malaysia or Singapore...these two are majority Asian in culture and traditions because of evident Chinese, Indian and indigenous Malay traditions..Indonesia is also the same.
Can you observe any significant British or Dutch dances, songs, food or customs in these countries...none predominantly.

But Philippines is different Spanish traditions are still predominantly observed...religious fiestas, churches, food, songs, etc are still significantly celebrated...They may not look Spanish Caucasians but they maintained the culture....again Hispanicized=Hispanic=Latin in culture.
Agree 100 % !

Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wrong choice of words then, meant to say as Hispanic as me. I still maintain that the Philippines is only part Hispanic, or semi-Hispanic as I voted on. It's not as Hispanic as Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc. Spanish is barely spoken anymore in the country by the native born, which is the most important part in defining a society, along with customs and religion. Which, seems as you agree with me that the Philippines is semi-Hispanic, I suppose you agree with me then? AFAIK, the only "Hispanic" things in the Philippines are the Roman Catholic Church and the fact that a large portion of the population have Spanish last names (how many % wise?)
To say that the only Hispanic things in the Philippines are the religion and Spanish last names simply means you do not know anything about Filipino culture at all. Whatever practises, traditions and foods you have in Puerto Rico that were influenced by the Spanish are also practised and eaten in the Philippines. When you become friends with Filipinos, you will understand what Filipino culture is and what we are all talking about here.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 06-18-2014 at 11:31 PM..

Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 PM

76 posts, read 262,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot09 View Post

So I am kinda curious now. What I want to know is "Do Filipino today are generally proud of their hispanic culture or no?"

Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 PM

55 posts, read 99,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
So I am kinda curious now. What I want to know is "Do Filipino today are generally proud of their hispanic culture or no?"
If it's the culture they have practiced for long, felt comfortable with it, felt it fit them, they adopted it as their own. No reason to be insecured about it. Are Thai-Lao proud of their Khmerized culture?

Old 06-20-2014, 01:29 AM

4,277 posts, read 5,169,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wrong choice of words then, meant to say as Hispanic as me. I still maintain that the Philippines is only part Hispanic, or semi-Hispanic as I voted on. It's not as Hispanic as Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, etc. Spanish is barely spoken anymore in the country by the native born, which is the most important part in defining a society, along with customs and religion. Which, seems as you agree with me that the Philippines is semi-Hispanic, I suppose you agree with me then? AFAIK, the only "Hispanic" things in the Philippines are the Roman Catholic Church and the fact that a large portion of the population have Spanish last names (how many % wise?)
There is definitely more than Catholicism and last names. However, I don't consider Filipinos to be Hispanic, and I also wouldn't like to classify them as Asian. They really have their own unique mixture of cultural traditions.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 AM

76 posts, read 262,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_allen View Post
If it's the culture they have practiced for long, felt comfortable with it, felt it fit them, they adopted it as their own. No reason to be insecured about it. Are Thai-Lao proud of their Khmerized culture?
Are you a Filipino?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or