U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 AM

282 posts, read 607,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Actually I heard it is not only in college but will be reintroduced in highschool which is better as I think it should have the same importance as English to think that Spanish is closer to the Filipino language having absorbed so many Spanish words that are already considered Filipino and not foreign any more, also it has more role in our history having been the official language of the country from the turn of the 16th century up to the 19th century. I don't really see why it has taken the backseat. Anyway, the problem is that from what I heard, there are only 64 teachers learning Spanish. Actually Madre Espana has offered help to welcome some Filipino teachers in Spain. They can avail free Spanish course in one if the universities in Madrid. Some are also having Spanish lesson in Instituto Cervantes in Manila. Chile has also volunteered to help and in return Filipinos will also teach them English.
Yes indeed!

That way, we can re-integrate our nation to the Spanish world.. 18 countries right?
I remember, Chile is trying to extend / connect to the Phl... they feel that we got lot of similarities with them, though they don't know where to start with.. (he he he wishing to see Chilean than those Brazilians everywhere in those gimmick places at night) I see so Chile is not that good in English.

I guess Instituto Cervantes and the Chabacanos of Zamboanga are working slowly for that re-introduction,
special case in that region they are starting to revive spanish literature and language in their school at all levels.

Also, pretty good if Philippines could use it as tool to reconnect to the south americans.. for trade opportunities, gov't to gov't, people to people, religions etc.

anyways here is what i'm saying about chile:
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...re-cooperation

[MOD CUT/copyright violation] PHL, Chile bilateral meeting during APEC summit in Russia. Chilean President Sebastian Piñera shares stories about his country to Philippine President Benigno Aquino III during a bilateral meeting on Saturday in Russia, where the APEC summit is currently being held. Gil Nartea/OP

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-28-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 AM

With due respect to our asean brothers, Being a Filipino catholic, somehow I feel more comfortable to the latinos side, even though I'm not that good in spanish or not even a spanish speaker. I don't know.. I'm not a mestizo, but the feeling that i should somehow greet or try my best to approach spanish people. sort off.. when i see them around.

I feel that if i had a chance to work with them abroad we could share the same taste buds, same faith / religion, same siesta habbit after lunch =), feeling at home etc.

just saying btw.

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 06-27-2014 at 06:06 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 03:43 PM

9 posts, read 14,376 times
LOL!

Seriously, we should have NOT dropped Spanish as another MAJOR language Filipinos should be speaking. The language is part of our heritage and at this point in time, will benefit our kababayans more if we're also fluent in the language. There's just too many opportunities in Latin America presently.

I'm learning of the importance now that I regularly visit Mexico. In Mexico alone, the field of opportunity is still wide open for Filipinos - because there's not too much adjustment to make to interact with the people. They are almost us in many ways.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,864,415 times
Filipinos just don't value so much history that's why they took Spanish for granted and dropped it.
Filipinos would have been speaking 3 languages, 2 are the most widely spoken in the world and we would for sure still have allies in Latin America but most of all, Filipinos won't be confused with their identity.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,021,775 times
^ Yes, Filipinos live very much in the present. It's rare to know your own family history. And Filipinos quickly adopt whatever is "in" at the moment. Recently, I've noticed that Filipinos are using American slang words/phrases that are very current. Blame twitter and facebook.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:33 AM

Filipino folk song in Spanish released in 1890.
Sounds very Latin American.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a4A9AVyhfQo

Old 07-23-2014, 06:47 AM

675 posts, read 443,069 times
Lets be real people. Pinoys are NOT Asian in any conventional sense. They are only Asian by geographic location.

Filipinos are so vastly different than all other Asian people due to the HEAVY Spanish and American history / influence.

That for which I am glad!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Shinde View Post
So you are glad that Spain and USA looted and plundered the natives for more than a century.
The average Filipino is deluded by this colonial mentality which make them think that whites are superior and the natives are inferior by virtue of their skin colour.The more you keep thinking like this the more backward you will remain
Here is the thing..

If Spanish and Americans didn't colonize our country.. We are probably majority Muslims by now, we might have King and Queen that to be treated as next to God, or we might not have any idea of freedom and democracy, etc. And personally I'm not comfortable with those possible scenarios. pardon me, with due respect to other religions

Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannizul View Post
LOL!

Seriously, we should have NOT dropped Spanish as another MAJOR language Filipinos should be speaking. The language is part of our heritage and at this point in time, will benefit our kababayans more if we're also fluent in the language. There's just too many opportunities in Latin America presently.

I'm learning of the importance now that I regularly visit Mexico. In Mexico alone, the field of opportunity is still wide open for Filipinos - because there's not too much adjustment to make to interact with the people. They are almost us in many ways.

Yes maestro!
Gov't should help the effort of Instituto Cervantes in Manila, Zamboanga and Cebu to reintroduce Spanish again in our education system.

Actually there are some BPO Call centers in Metro Manila that catered to Spanish accounts around the globe, and it's growing more..

There was an effort few years ago, that Chile wanted to have ties with the Ph. In terms of culture, people to people, exchanges of teachers, etc..

Anyway, That's interesting.. bossing can you share us more about Mehico? That sounds good..
Looking at the google, Mxco is big economy as well, emerging.. Aside from Pacman, what's their idea about us? he he he

Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Shinde View Post
So you are glad that Spain and USA looted and plundered the natives for more than a century.
The average Filipino is deluded by this colonial mentality which make them think that whites are superior and the natives are inferior by virtue of their skin colour.The more you keep thinking like this the more backward you will remain
We have our culture and religion to be thankful for, so we owe these to Madre Espana.
They gave us their religion, names, food, traditions and of course taught us to be civilised. If not for them we would not know how to use a cutlery, we would probably be pooping and peeing everywhere and would probably not use a toilet bowl.

Also Filipinos were the very first ones in South East Asia to be educated as Madre Espana built the first university in Asia in the 16th century.

If not for them, we would not be Catholics.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 07-23-2014 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or