U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think it's rather unfortunate that the Philippines, at least as illustrated on this forum, seems to have the same issues and obsessions with race and post-colonial mentality that Latin American nations seem to suffer from that is absent in eastern Asia. What a nice legacy the West left behind for the Philippines, it's pretty sad.
The obsession with lighter skin is all over Asia and the world, so the Philippines isn't unique in that aspect. And in East Asia, there is an obsession with having bigger, more Western eyes, and that is totally absent in the Philippines.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:17 PM

282 posts, read 606,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
to answer the title of this, I said that the Filipinos is a Southeast Asian people with a background in the Eroupean Spanish colonial , and has the language Tagalog and English.
Let's define the word Hispanic first...

Hispanic (Spanish: hispano, hispánico, Portuguese: hispânico, Galician: hispánico, Basque: hispaniar, Catalan: hispŕno)[1][2] is an ethnonym that denotes a relationship to Spain or, in some definitions, to ancient Roman Hispania, which roughly comprised the Iberian Peninsula including the contemporary states of Andorra, Portugal, and Spain and the Crown Colony or British Overseas Territories of Gibraltar.[3][4][5] Today, organizations in the United States use the term as a broad catchall to refer to persons with a historical and cultural relationship either with Spain, or with Spain and Portugal, regardless of race.[6][7] The U.S. Census Bureau defines the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American (except for Brazil), or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race.",[8] and states that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race, any ancestry, any ethnicity.[9] Generically, this limits the definition of Hispanic or Latino to people from the Caribbean, Central and South America, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race, distinctly excluding all persons of Portuguese origin.
Due to the technical distinctions involved in defining "race" vs. "ethnicity," there is confusion among the general population about the designation of Hispanic identity. Currently, the United States Census Bureau defines five race categories:[10]
  • White
  • Black or African American
  • Native American or Alaska Native
  • Asian
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
According to census reports, of the above races the largest number of Hispanic or Latinos are of the White Race, the second largest number come from the Native American/American Indian race who were the indigenous people of the Americas. The inhabitants of Easter Island are Pacific Islanders and since the island belongs to Chile they are theoretically Hispanic or Latinos. Because Hispanic roots are considered aligned with a European ancestry (Spain), Hispanic/Latino ancestry is defined solely as an ethnic designation (similar to being Norse or Germanic). Therefore, a person of Hispanic descent is typically defined using both race and ethnicity as an identifier—i.e., Black-Hispanic, White-Hispanic, Asian-Hispanic, Amerindian-Hispanic or "other race" Hispanic.
The term "Hispanic" broadly refers to the culture, peoples, or nations with a historical link to Spain. The term commonly applies to countries once colonized by Spain, particularly the countries of Latin America that were colonized by Spain. It could be argued that the term should apply to all Spanish speaking cultures or countries, as the historical roots of the word specifically pertain to the Iberian region. It is also difficult to label a culture with one term, such as Hispanic, as the customs, traditions, beliefs and art forms (music, literature, dress, architecture, cuisine or others) vary widely depending on country and even within the regions of said country. The Spanish and culture is the main cultura.[6][7]

Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So as defined in standard perspective by the world today, I therefore say the Filipinos and the Philippines is HISPANIC. "ASIAN HISPANIC", Same case with East Timorese Brothers

Claro en punto senor

Last edited by Coach Rajko; 07-24-2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM

621 posts, read 381,929 times
Filipinos aren't that much obsessed with being white, in fact its the other way around. Caucasians wished they were brown-skinned, correct me if I'm wrong. It is rather the culture that we are clinging to since its already part of our national identity. We are just grateful we've had both the western and eastern influences fused and personalized in a very filipino way which makes it very peculiar in all the world.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Filipinos aren't that much obsessed with being white, in fact its the other way around. Caucasians wished they were brown-skinned, correct me if I'm wrong. It is rather the culture that we are clinging to since its already part of our national identity. We are just grateful we've had both the western and eastern influences fused and personalized in a very filipino way which makes it very peculiar in all the world.
Agree... It is the culture and it has been the culture we Filipinos have been talking about since the start of this thread !

Non Hispanics and other Asians just always go right away to the race. If only clueless people would just stop talking about race and location, then end of discussion.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 07-25-2014 at 12:29 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 12:16 PM

188 posts, read 186,483 times
Filipinos are Latin-Asian like Brazilians are Latin-American and Italians are Latin-European

K, Next question.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:03 AM

376 posts, read 742,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Rajko View Post
Let's define the word Hispanic first...

So as defined in standard perspective by the world today, I therefore say the Filipinos and the Philippines is HISPANIC. "ASIAN HISPANIC", Same case with East Timorese Brothers

Claro en punto senor
yeah I think right Filipino has close cultural, name, religion shared by Spanish. unlike in Indonesia ,our country colonized for hundreds of years ( 350 ) "from 1600 - 1945 by the Dutch, but the religion, the name and culture of Indonesia is still less than the influence of the Dutch, probably in the Netherlands have a lot of influence from their former colonial ( Indonesia ) .
whatever form I would agree if American latin is closer to the European nations than Philipines and I see a lot of white blonde in their country and culture has a lot of big European influence.^^^

Old 07-26-2014, 01:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,470,982 times
Quote:
yeah I think right Filipino has close cultural, name, religion shared by Spanish. unlike in Indonesia ,our country colonized for hundreds of years ( 350 ) "from 1600 - 1945 by the Dutch, but the religion, the name and culture of Indonesia is still less than the influence of the Dutch, probably in the Netherlands have a lot of influence from their former colonial ( Indonesia ) .
whatever form I would agree if American latin is closer to the European nations than Philipines and I see a lot of white blonde in their country and culture has a lot of big European influence.^^^
East Timor is heavily Portuguese influenced!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:00 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,144,521 times
^^ Actually so does Ambon, Maluku... well the Dutch makes the population converts to Protestanism and change their name to more Dutch sounding name like Albertus, Georgius, Hendri, Jansen or Jevon, which is common Christian names in the country but some of the Portuguese names survives. Also in the Nusa Tenggara islands where its almost all Catholics where the Dutch expelled the Catholics to when they refuse Protestanism.

Nama Indonesia - Ambon 6. Arti Nama Bayi, Anak, Laki, Perempuan

Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 AM

376 posts, read 742,424 times
oh yes you are right, I forgot that in Indonesia there are also population who have Dutch names such as William, David, Arnold, Bryan, Ricard , Nicolaus, Wilhelmina etc.
Oh yes I also know some famous Indonesian people who has the name of Dutch or dutch descent like : Olivia Jensen, Kimberly Ryder, Steven William,Stuart Collin etc .

Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 AM

282 posts, read 606,397 times
Quote:
Well it says all there in that definition of Hispanic. again, it's not about the color etc.. it's more on the influence and culture. take a look at the Cubans, dominated by blacks but part of the latinos.

Would it be a problem to call/consider Pinoys, East Timorese, or even Macau Citizens as Asian Hispanic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or