U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:23 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,031 times

Advertisements

here's one of the strong influence of Spain. Our Strong Catholic Faith...
one of the festivals in the Philippines is the Black Nazarene "

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzEqpP2ngs[/youtube]

Old 09-25-2011, 08:36 PM

20,976 posts, read 16,258,860 times
People from the Philippines are Asian.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,227,179 times
Not in the slightest. Phillipinos are associated with the French, which completely kills this argument altogether.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 AM

286 posts, read 350,656 times
The Filipinas has a strong spanish background
however I would not consider it a "hispanic country" I feel the Filipinos are not brothers in the hispanic family but sort of first cousins

Filipinos must also realize that just the same as they were colonized by Spain but kept many traditions an language the same can be said of Latin America, most countries have kept their native cultures alive to different degrees but they all agreed the are part of the hispanic community mostly because the unifying factor of the language and geography
and that is not case with the Filipinas.

But still I think that a Filipino will feel more at home in Mexico City, Santiago de Chile or Madrid
than in Taipei, Tokyo or Burma.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,101,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Again, I reiterate:

As a Filipino-American, I don't consider myself in any way, shape, or form 'Latin'. First of all, I'm not Catholic but Muslim with my name being of Arabic origin except for my middle name, which is Spanish. Second of all, not ALL Philippine languages are replete with Spanish words and most Philippine languages are linguistically part of the same family as Bahasa Indonesia or Bahasa Melayu (Malay). It depends how much contact that certain ethnic group had with the Spanish, and mine had very little until the 1870s when they were finally able to take over that part of the Philippines.

Ethnologue report for Malayo-Polynesian

In fact, I don't know any Filipino or Filipino American who consider themselves Hispanics.

Even though on the surface, our culture seems to look a lot like Hispanic culture, there are still very many differences. Simply being part of the same empire doesn't mean that you have a lot in common. After all, India and the United States were both under the British Empire. Look how much the US has in common with India.

Anyways, most Filipino Muslims don't even want to be identified with the Philippines, much less with a foreign country that only managed to take us over in the late 1800s. The only thing that us Muslims have in common with the Filipino Christians is that we were administered under the same territory as the Catholics. In fact, there's really no such thing as a unifying Filipino culture to be honest other than the Philippines was administered as one unit. A lot of Filipino nationalism is based off of Catholicism, which is antithetical to my identity as a Muslim. In my opinion, its a colonial invention imposed on us by the Spanish and the Americans due to administrative conveniences. How can Muslims call themselves 'Filipino', considering the "Philippines" was named after a King who helped continue the Spanish Inquisition as a vehemently Catholic king? What does an Illocano speaker, a Tagalog speaker, and Visaya speaker have in common anyways, besides being relatively close to each other? Much ado about NOTHING really.

I'm sorry, but I sooner rather consider myself an American than a Filipino. At least being an American doesn't carry a religious identifier as much as being Filipino does.
Muslim Phillipinos are a VERY small minority & are isolated in a small region of the Phillipines where they kidnap Americans & hold them for randsom or kill them. (at least that's what all my Phillipino friends tell me). Most have never set foot there & have no desire to.

They have more in common with neighboring Muslim Indonesia & India than the Phillipino people.

Even the language & cultures are completely different.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Muslim Phillipinos are a VERY small minority & are isolated in a small region of the Phillipines where they kidnap Americans & hold them for randsom or kill them. (at least that's what all my Phillipino friends tell me). Most have never set foot there & have no desire to.

They have more in common with neighboring Muslim Indonesia & India than the Phillipino people.

Even the language & cultures are completely different.
do not generalize them.. there's only few group of people that don't actually respect the true meaning of being a muslim or sometimes forgot that we are all Filipinos. we are actually against on this act, i hope this will stop and let the peace reign for everyone to live peacefully in some areas of mindanao afterall we are all living in a very small country and we belong to 1 race which is us being a FILIPINOS even if we have different beliefs.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,396,020 times
They were Westernized/Latinized to a certain degree but I wouldn't say they are Hispanic. Prior to contact with the Spanish, their culture was more akin to the aboriginal Taiwanese(not the ethnic Han Chinese that dominate Taiwan today). Linguistically they have something in common with some of the surrounding areas, but Filipinos are fairly culturally unique.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:51 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,101,057 times
I consider them half Asian, half Spanish. A lot of the words are the same with Spanish.

They will get mad if you call them Pacific Islander.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
They were Westernized/Latinized to a certain degree but I wouldn't say they are Hispanic. Prior to contact with the Spanish, their culture was more akin to the aboriginal Taiwanese(not the ethnic Han Chinese that dominate Taiwan today). Linguistically they have something in common with some of the surrounding areas, but Filipinos are fairly culturally unique.
I agree about our culture being a unique one, because if you will check each places in the Philippines you will find out all our different culture and tradition, There are indigenous Filipino tribes like in the North of Luzon particularly in Batanes they are Ivatans

Ifugao or "Igorots" in Mountain Province

In Pangasinan there is a story-telling about Princess Urduja (a muslim warrior princess during 1500's) but most of the Population in Pangasinan are already Christians for example at my hometown in Pangasinan there was a story about muslim filipinos tried to burnt catholic churches when they were still against the christian religion but they failed. So since that the culture in Pangasinan are more on christian catholic related with strong faith although we reserved our local dialect and spoke 2 dialects which is Pangasinense and Ilocano from our neighbor provinces.

A lot of Spaniards from priest and spaniard families came to our place since late 1500's and some of the well-known spaniards from our place were buried inside the church and their names were engraved at the wall of the church as part of the history of the church when they rebuilt it during 1605 when it was burnt and destroyed by the past earthquakes. They even built a catholic school next to our church during 1942 by the late Spanish priest Fr. Cajigal who chose to stay and buried to our hometown in the Philippines. First the Augustinians managed the church then they past it to Dominicans.

One of the people who came to our place was the 2 brothers who sailed from France (who exiled due to religious war between catholics and huguenouts to avoid the persecution), one of those 2 was my great great grandfather who were married to a spanish mestiza then generations to generations they married to local residents till no more trace of being a European except some of our relatives shown some features. my 3rd cousin tried to search the baptismal of her great grandfather (brother of my great grandfather) found in a Mormon church through a microfilm and check if there's a chance to get or regain our forefathers citizenship. But the new law of France only allow the grandchildren not the great grandchildren. that's how we traced and I guess we are the only one in the Philippines with that Surname if you translated in English it "refer to an individual with red hair or a ruddy complexion" it's also a name of the popular based-sauce in France. I always get asked question with my family Middle Name because it's not a common Spanish surname every time i filled up my full name. I am a FILIPINO (but of course we have to thank our forefathers/ancestors) for who we are today.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:18 PM

618 posts, read 2,637,819 times
Filipinos are Asians (of the Austronesian type) not Hispanic in the slightest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or