U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM
 
Location: La Muy Noble Leal Ciudad de Iloilo
190 posts, read 187,282 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think it's interesting that in the 1990 US Census, 1 in 8 Filipino-Americans marked Hispanic. I think Filipinos identified more closely with Hispanics back then. Filipinos also used to watch Latin American telenovelas back then, now it's "Koreanovelas" The identity is shifting more and more towards Americans and other Asians. I think most Filipinos have forgotten or simply don't care about their cultural connection with Hispanics. But that doesn't mean that the cultural connection is not there

I mean, does this typical Filipino town fiesta remind you more of Latin America or of Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g96cB4HzXc

I think nowadays, Filipinos definitely have a lot of Hispanic culture, but they dont necessarily identify with Hispanics much
We don't identify with Hispanics that much anymore because majority of Hispanics don't consider us one of them.

 
Old 08-31-2014, 12:36 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
The Filipinos in the US grew up having a different culture than the Filipinos born and raised in the Philippines.
Filipinos in the Philippines grow up going to fiestas, semana santa activities etc. I don't know about the Filipinos in America but for sure there are no town fiestas there and no Semana Santa reenactment and processions.
Present day Filipinos are not really so aware any more about the origin of their customs and traditions unlike the Filipinos from a hundred years ago. Most of them think their practises are originally Filipino or the foods they eat are really Filipino like yesterday I was watching a Senator cooked Paella and he said he just cooks Filipino foods, he probably didn't know that Paella is not Filipino but Spanish. He probably thought it's Filipino as it has been cooked and eaten in the Philippines since ever, many are like him who think that Empanadas, Picadillo, Caldereta, Menudo, Lengua Estufada, Callos, Mechado, Afritada, Pastillas de Leche, Yemas, Ensaimada, Pan de Leche, Pan de Sal, Champorado, Lechon , Flan de Leche and many more are not really Filipino but Spanish and Mexican. These foods have been a part of the Filipino culture that present day Filipinos think these are really Filipino, same as the traditions and practises which is why present day Filipinos are not aware of their hispanic culture, especially the Filipinos in the US.

Yes there are also Filipinos who have indigenous names but they are less compare to Filipinos with Spanish names.

Unbrainwashed, there is no competition between Filipinos and Puerto Ricans like you. Both of our countries had the same history, both were colonised at the same time so both countries absorbed Spanish culture. The only difference is the Philippines is in Asia and didn't get so much Spanish ancestry because there weren't as many Spanish who went to the Philippines as the number of Spanish who went there. But, both countries were colonised at the same time and both countries were the last colonies left to Spain before the US came.
The bold'd is quite an understatement which probably goes a long way in why the vast majority of people don't consider Filipinos hispanic.
 
Old 08-31-2014, 12:50 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The bold'd is quite an understatement which probably goes a long way in why the vast majority of people don't consider Filipinos hispanic.
I don't think that matters because nobody has to take a blood test to be considered Hispanic. Many Hispanics probably have no Spanish blood at all. And most Hispanics I've talked to about this just assume that Filipinos have Spanish/Latino blood just because they were colonized by Spain. The main factor in why Filipinos arent considered Hispanic is that Filipinos dont speak Spanish. That's all. If Filipinos spoke Spanish, I don't think we'd be having this discussion
 
Old 08-31-2014, 01:13 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,172,752 times
Reputation: 11619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I don't think that matters because nobody has to take a blood test to be considered Hispanic. Many Hispanics probably have no Spanish blood at all. And most Hispanics I've talked to about this just assume that Filipinos have Spanish/Latino blood just because they were colonized by Spain. The main factor in why Filipinos arent considered Hispanic is that Filipinos dont speak Spanish. That's all. If Filipinos spoke Spanish, I don't think we'd be having this discussion
I have this discussion with Puerto Ricans born and raised here that don't speak Spanish. To me, you are not Hispanic, you are American. What about the Asians born and raised here that don't speak their parents' language? They are American. They may celebrate, for example, Chinese New Year and eat Chinese food on occasion, but they are still American. What I don't understand, is why don't you Filipinos that are living in the Philippines, just accept you are Filipino? Most of you speak a Philippine language and celebrate traditionally Hispanic traditions that have been modified for the Philippines? Your people are semi-Hispanic in the sense that you have some Spanish and LatAm traditions in your culture, but you are not fully Spanish/Latin American. You are Filipino, it's as simple as that. Why can't any of you accept that? NOBODY in Latin America, except the ones who have lived abroad or are in regular contact with foreigners, considers themselves "Hispanic" or "Latin American". These are terms invented by gringos, for gringos. Same with Asian. Just stop with this non-sense. If you're from the Philippines, you are Filipino. I don't care if you are Spanish, a Negrito, Chinese, or somewhere in between, you're Filipino. If you're a Filipino born in the US, you're American.
 
Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I don't think that matters because nobody has to take a blood test to be considered Hispanic. Many Hispanics probably have no Spanish blood at all. And most Hispanics I've talked to about this just assume that Filipinos have Spanish/Latino blood just because they were colonized by Spain. The main factor in why Filipinos arent considered Hispanic is that Filipinos dont speak Spanish. That's all. If Filipinos spoke Spanish, I don't think we'd be having this discussion
It matters in the sense that having such a relatively small population settle in the Philippines and being a further away outpost meant that the Spanish language was relatively easy to uproot. There doesn't need to be much of a blood test--yes, many hispanic people have none or almost no Spanish ancestry, but every one of those countries have a large contingent of people who do and were all to some extent settler colonies with some much more so than others. Even the ones who were less so weren't far away from others that were and so had overlapping cultural spheres.

It sort of all makes sense since the voyage from Spain to Latin America is a far less extreme one than one to the Philippines, though it probably would have been appreciated by some people if the Spanish had been more set on having the Philippines as a settler colony as well. Maybe the Philippines should give benefits to Spaniards to settle there and have children? I think it'd certainly make some people happy.
 
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK Brown. View Post
Amigo Boriqua, LOS FILIPINOS SON NUESTROS HERMANOS, they were part of the Nueva España just like Puerto Rico.
What we need is to read more about our history, the real one not the one written and missing lots of information.

Hermosa, Pinay and others are right on this, because they have investigated and gotten information that is not provided in regular history books.

Just because they look Asian doesn't mean they are, take the example of REPUBLICA DOMINICANA, They are basically black and they are hispanic.

Sure they don't speak Spanish, but is not their fault, remember the US force them to learn English and force them to absorb their culture too... I suppose you know that, if not I suggest you to read about it.

As a Mexican I hope Filipinos understand that IGNORANCE is the factor here, and I know that as soon as people learn the true history they will embrace you!


Saludos hermanos Filipinos... y tu tambien hermano boriqua.
Well, since you're that into it, why not read historical demographics data, trade volumes, and port of entry calls? DR are a lot of things--but they certainly did have a large settler population from Europe and it definitely completely supplanted and exterminated the indigenous population there. The vast majority of Dominicans are of mixed ancestry with European being the largest contributor, then African, then the indigenous population (Taino). Though, culturally, the mix is skewed way closer towards that of the European settlers.

Remember the US also never succeeded in making English the primary language of the Philippines. The primary language of the vast majority of Filipinos in the Philippines are Filipino languages (albeit with a lot of loanwords). You can make the argument that it was a good thing they weren't as thoroughly culturally exterminated by Europeans as the native cultures of the Americas, but I can see an argument for why someone would wish they had been as thoroughly exterminated and replaced.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-31-2014 at 04:08 PM..
 
Old 08-31-2014, 04:10 PM
 
1,266 posts, read 2,478,961 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have this discussion with Puerto Ricans born and raised here that don't speak Spanish. To me, you are not Hispanic, you are American. What about the Asians born and raised here that don't speak their parents' language? They are American. They may celebrate, for example, Chinese New Year and eat Chinese food on occasion, but they are still American. What I don't understand, is why don't you Filipinos that are living in the Philippines, just accept you are Filipino? Most of you speak a Philippine language and celebrate traditionally Hispanic traditions that have been modified for the Philippines? Your people are semi-Hispanic in the sense that you have some Spanish and LatAm traditions in your culture, but you are not fully Spanish/Latin American. You are Filipino, it's as simple as that. Why can't any of you accept that? NOBODY in Latin America, except the ones who have lived abroad or are in regular contact with foreigners, considers themselves "Hispanic" or "Latin American". These are terms invented by gringos, for gringos. Same with Asian. Just stop with this non-sense. If you're from the Philippines, you are Filipino. I don't care if you are Spanish, a Negrito, Chinese, or somewhere in between, you're Filipino. If you're a Filipino born in the US, you're American.
What is so wrong with them wanting to shown the similarities they have with Latin Americans. I don't see nothing wrong with that. There are hundreds upe hundreds of millions of people all around the world trying to "act" American even though there is no connection. The Philippines was under Spaifor hundreds of years. Go fige. Knoan rule for hundredss of years. Hispanic is not a culture not a race. Culture trandecence all boundaries. There is alot of prove of spanish customs in the phts. Here in the U.S you have American running around with certificates showing how they are 0.35% Cherokee. Because they want to feel a deeper connection to these lands that have been in natives hands for thousands of years. Yet no one says how ridiculous it is Even more so when those same people are trying to kick out people who are more native than them and whose ancestors roamed all through the United States for hundreds of years
 
Old 08-31-2014, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Sanjo, Califas.
570 posts, read 371,070 times
Reputation: 116
My friend, CULTURE IS ONE THING, RACE IS ANOTHER.
Don't mix magnesium with gimnasium.

If you want to find out the race count in a place for the the hell of it, is ok, but in terms of culture it won't give you any usable data.

You said:
Remember the US also never succeeded in making English the primary language of the Philippines. The primary language of the vast majority of Filipinos in the Philippines are Filipino languages (albeit with a lot of loanwords). You can make the argument that it was a good thing they weren't as thoroughly culturally exterminated by Europeans as the native cultures of the Americas, but I can see an argument for why someone would wish they had been as thoroughly exterminated and replaced.


But they, tried didn't they?
My ancestors(Mexicans) didn't impose them our culture, they show them the way we do things(good or bad), they took our ways and adopted them.
My ancestors mix with them, laugh, cry, enjoy and many things with them... not the Japanese, not the Americans, only us.
Thats why they are ours as we are theirs, capiche.
 
Old 08-31-2014, 04:48 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It matters in the sense that having such a relatively small population settle in the Philippines and being a further away outpost meant that the Spanish language was relatively easy to uproot. There doesn't need to be much of a blood test--yes, many hispanic people have none or almost no Spanish ancestry, but every one of those countries have a large contingent of people who do and were all to some extent settler colonies with some much more so than others. Even the ones who were less so weren't far away from others that were and so had overlapping cultural spheres.

It sort of all makes sense since the voyage from Spain to Latin America is a far less extreme one than one to the Philippines, though it probably would have been appreciated by some people if the Spanish had been more set on having the Philippines as a settler colony as well. Maybe the Philippines should give benefits to Spaniards to settle there and have children? I think it'd certainly make some people happy.
The Spanish missionaries in the Philippines learned the languages of the people instead of teaching the people Spanish. Spanish was the lingua franca of the Philippines though. Filipinos used it as a second or third language to communicate with Filipinos from other regions. This role was replaced by English. If the Americans never took over, Spanish would be the 2nd official language, along with Tagalog. Filipinos simply identify more with their most recent colonizers, the Americans.
 
Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I have this discussion with Puerto Ricans born and raised here that don't speak Spanish. To me, you are not Hispanic, you are American. What about the Asians born and raised here that don't speak their parents' language? They are American. They may celebrate, for example, Chinese New Year and eat Chinese food on occasion, but they are still American. What I don't understand, is why don't you Filipinos that are living in the Philippines, just accept you are Filipino? Most of you speak a Philippine language and celebrate traditionally Hispanic traditions that have been modified for the Philippines? Your people are semi-Hispanic in the sense that you have some Spanish and LatAm traditions in your culture, but you are not fully Spanish/Latin American. You are Filipino, it's as simple as that. Why can't any of you accept that? NOBODY in Latin America, except the ones who have lived abroad or are in regular contact with foreigners, considers themselves "Hispanic" or "Latin American". These are terms invented by gringos, for gringos. Same with Asian. Just stop with this non-sense. If you're from the Philippines, you are Filipino. I don't care if you are Spanish, a Negrito, Chinese, or somewhere in between, you're Filipino. If you're a Filipino born in the US, you're American.
I don't know how it is for other nationalities, but a Filipino is a Filipino no matter where he/she goes in the world. By Philippine law, if you are born to a Filipino parent, you are a Filipino citizen, no matter where you were born. So a Filipino born in the US is a dual citizen of the Philippines and the US. The Filipino mindset follows this as well. It's not like a Filipino born abroad is viewed as a non-Filipino. I know that many Mexicans have this mindset about Chicanos. But with Filipinos it's not like that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top