U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:56 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Certainly the Spanish language played a big part in Filipino history. It should be something that people can learn if they want to but not mandatory. I think English is fine. English is the language that basically the rest of the world wants to learn. It's good to know your history. But Filipino's have their own languages. Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Waray-Waray, Tausug, Hiligaynon, and more. The fact that these languages have survived and are still widely spoken should be celebrated. These language are your true roots.
These languages are already spoken at home.
If English is a major subject in schools, I do not see any reason why Spanish shouldn't be, afterall, the status of English in the Philippines used to be the status of Spanish 80 years ago. There is also Latin America and Spain where Filipinos can work. The US and the UK are so tough on emigration, not everyone can go there.

Not everyone just have indigenous roots.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
These languages are already spoken at home.
If English is a major subject in schools, I do not see any reason why Spanish shouldn't be, afterall, the status of English in the Philippines used to be the status of Spanish 80 years ago. There is also Latin America and Spain where Filipinos can work. The US and the UK are so tough on emigration, not everyone can go there.

Not everyone just have indigenous roots.
They teach that the indigenous are the only real Filipinos instead of teaching everyone regarding their nationality that is why there are Filipinos who are experiencing identity crisis or identifying their culture and their own fellow Filipinos arguing who are the real Filipinos.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,196,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
They teach that the indigenous are the only real Filipinos instead of teaching everyone regarding their nationality that is why there are Filipinos who are experiencing identity crisis or identifying their culture and their own fellow Filipinos arguing who are the real Filipinos.
Well, guess we found our reason why some pinoys on here are having an identity crisis.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 AM

22,175 posts, read 23,705,057 times
Quote:
The ones who voted for " Not At All " or the ones saying there is no hispanicness in the Philippines.
I think there's reasonable argument for how those are not equivalent.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think there's reasonable argument for how those are not equivalent.
Really like how reasonable ?

Is it reasonable to say not at all because majority look Asian ? Or because The Philippines is in Asia ? What people do not know about Hispanicness is, it is not about race, it is a culture.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I saw the School Anthem of Colegio de San Juan de Letran as I was curious because they officially replaced the name of my former school in the province of Manaoag, Pangasinan. The new name is Colegio de San Juan de Letran Manaoag. Wondering if Spanish class will be part of the subject and this hymn in Spanish language.
The school hymn in my school is also in Spanish, we sing it everytime we have a gathering in school like Flag Ceremony.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Really like how reasonable ?

Is it reasonable to say not at all because majority look Asian ? Or because The Philippines is in Asia ? What people do not know about Hispanicness is, it is not about race, it is a culture.
No, it's in how people are defining what Hispanic is. If you set up the construct as a binary where you can only be in or out rather than as quantifiable property, then I can understand why someone would say that.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:18 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, it's in how people are defining what Hispanic is. If you set up the construct as a binary where you can only be in or out rather than as quantifiable property, then I can understand why someone would say that.
But there are three options in the poll.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
But there are three options in the poll.
Yea, I understand that. If your conception of it is basically binary, then basically you wouldn't vote for the middle option at all--just all or nothing.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:10 AM

Here is a blog about Filipinos and Latinos, the similarities between them that make them Primos ( Cousins ).

10 Reasons Why Latinos and Filipinos Are Primos | Article | Remezcla | Remezcla.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or