U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:19 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I consider them half Asian, half Spanish. A lot of the words are the same with Spanish.

They will get mad if you call them Pacific Islander.
Ethnically, If you will check there's also a lot of immigrants from other countries. include the 50,000 forgotten children left by the ship of US Navies born in the Philippines but a lot of them still don't know who their father or even gain their supposed to be "US citizen" rights and aside from Intermarriages of Filipinos to foreigners.

Now through the Administrative Naturalization Law, foreigners can now file a petition to become naturalized Filipino citizens. Since 2000, over 350 foreigners have already been declared naturalized Filipinos, including radio DJ and TV host Sam YG, who became a naturalized Filipino in 2010.

DJ Sam YG

Old 09-26-2011, 05:22 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,111,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Filipinos are Asians (of the Austronesian type) not Hispanic in the slightest.
Hispanic = Mexican, Salvadorian, Purerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, etc.

Spanish is the language derived from Spain.

Filipino's have both Spanish & Chinese influence. They are a mix of Asian & Spanish cultures. A Chinese person would not know what Menudo is, but Mexicans eat it all the time. It is slightly different however, but basically the same type of soup.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM

618 posts, read 2,639,926 times
Quote:
Hispanic = Mexican, Salvadorian, Purerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, etc.

Spanish is the language derived from Spain.

Filipino's have both Spanish & Chinese influence. They are a mix of Asian & Spanish cultures. A Chinese person would not know what Menudo is, but Mexicans eat it all the time. It is slightly different however, but basically the same type of soup.

But they do not speak Spanish, unlike the others.

Are people from Equatorial Guinea Hispanic? They have a better claim of being Hispanic than Filipinos do.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
But they do not speak Spanish, unlike the others.

Are people from Equatorial Guinea Hispanic? They have a better claim of being Hispanic than Filipinos do.
Spanish: Como esta? = How are you?

Tagalog: Kumusta? = How are you?

Spanish/Tagalog - Bano = Bathroom

1 - Uno
2 - Dos
3 - Tres

And so on.

Yes, Filipinos do indeed have a healthy dose of Spanish influence in them. While they are not Spanish entirely you'd be a fool to say they don't have some of the culture inbedded in them from when Spain concoured the Phillipines for many centuries.

Even the cities & architecture reflect that.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:02 PM

I was going by ethnicity. They do not have Spanish genetic heritage for the most part, unlike Latin Americans (even though Latin America also has other ancestries depending).

Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I was going by ethnicity. They do not have Spanish genetic heritage for the most part, unlike Latin Americans (even though Latin America also has other ancestries depending).
You're getting it all twisted dude.

I've seen some Filipino soap operas where the actors look like they could be straight from Spain or even America with light colored white-ish skin while your typical Fillipino looks Mexican (dark brown skin) or Chinese (yellow skin).

Spanish culture in the Phillippines is a major part of their genetic heritage & culture as a whole.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
You're getting it all twisted dude.

I've seen some Filipino soap operas where the actors look like they could be straight from Spain or even America with light colored white-ish skin while your typical Fillipino looks Mexican (dark brown skin) or Chinese (yellow skin).

Spanish culture in the Phillippines is a major part of their genetic heritage & culture as a whole.

Never judge a country's population by its television stars. Most Mexican tv stars look 100% European, for instance.. but go to Mexico and look around.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 PM

It's nice to hear a Latina singing in Tagalog .. she gave justice to the song and
it sounds so nice too..

We Love Thalia

singing our tagalog love song "Nandito ako" [I'm Here]

Julio Iglesias singing in tagalog "Dahil Sa'yo" [Because of you]

Charlie (Puerto Rican) from Menudo band singing "Di Na Natuto"

Filipino Spanish Antonio "Junior" Morales father of Shaila Durcal
Singing in Tagalog "Yakap" (Embrace)

FILIPINAS - Trio Los Panchos

Last edited by pinai; 09-27-2011 at 12:35 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,155,425 times
I don't think it has anything to do with language, are Algerians who speak French, French? They're part of the Francophone world but they aren't any kind of French. I don't think it has much to do with culture either. Being hispanic is a question of ethnicity. Filipino culture can be highly Latinized, that doesn't make the people hispanic, even if the culture would be.

Edit: You know, Algerians might be a bad example, I don't know. But you get my point.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 AM

Here's some rich Filipinos who still spoke Spanish

Mi Ultimo Adios [from the poem of our national hero Dr. Jose Rizal]
sang by Joey Ayala

Our Women during Spanish-Era

Last edited by pinai; 09-27-2011 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or