U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 02:01 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Gusto mo sa akin upang sumulat sa tagalog ? After all, this is an English-language forum.
Gringo words are words like Latino and Hispanic, and Latin America. Words invented by Americans (in the case of Latin America, the French) to describe the non-Anglo countries in the Americas.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Gringo words are words like Latino and Hispanic, and Latin America. Words invented by Americans (in the case of Latin America, the French) to describe the non-Anglo countries in the Americas.
Yea, in the English language. If your language doesn't calque or loan it, so what? This kind of thing exists among all languages out there. I don't see why it's somehow more pointed here. Things even loan back such as your use of the word gringo within the context of an English language conversation which you use with the expectation that other people understand it. Also, why quote my question if you aren't answering it?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,176,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, in the English language. If your language doesn't calque or loan it, so what? This kind of thing exists among all languages out there. I don't see why it's somehow more pointed here. Things even loan back such as your use of the word gringo within the context of an English language conversation which you use with the expectation that other people understand it. Also, why quote my question if you aren't answering it?
Sorry, don't even know the purpose of you writing in tagalog.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
That is just a bad Tagalog translation. I can't even understand it.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:35 AM

22,142 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
Sorry, don't even know the purpose of you writing in tagalog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
That is just a bad Tagalog translation. I can't even understand it.
I know, right? So stick with the gringo words when you're in a gringo language forum based in gringo-land. What did you expect?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 AM

376 posts, read 743,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
There was an important Spanish colony in the Philippines, but they were wiped out by Japanese (and they were supposed to be allies).
Not only philipines, Japan also held several other southeast Asian region, including Indonesia .. I know a little about the history of it but not it sounds less like the former colonial Dutch occupied Indonesia for hundreds of years,do not even sound at all, so that our society is too familiar with DUTCH colonial than Japanese occupation .

Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,472,550 times
Quote:
Seeing as 72% of the forum thinks Filipinos are partly Hispanic or not at all, the debate is pretty much settled. I, as a born and raised Latin American, do not, and never have, thought of the Philippines as a Hispanic nation. Semi-Hispanic at most, but not Hispanic. The biggest disqualifier is the majority of the population not being able to speak Spanish. Spanish was never adopted as the official, de facto, AND cultural language of the majority of the population like it has in Latin America. It is uncommon to find a Latin American south of the US border that can't speak Spanish. Filipinos today are about as Hispanic as the indigenous peoples of Latin America that only know how to speak their indigenous language. To me, they are not Hispanic. If an Aztec Mexican only speaks Nahuatl (there are such people still alive), how are they different from Filipinos who speak their own indigenous language and nothing else? They aren't Hispanic either, in that case. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, cause I don't deny the Philippines was a part of the Spanish Empire, just very odd some on here crave colonialism again....even though Puerto Rico is a lot more Spanish than the Philippines is today, you'd be hard pressed to find any Puerto Rican who wants to be identified as Spanish. We are ALL Boricuas on the island, not Spanish.

Edit: This is more of a rant here, but to the Filipinos on here who droll over the Mexican connection. Who was with you until the very end? Mexico ceased being part of your territory in the 1800s. Who stuck alongside you until 1946? Who were you united with for the longest time in Spanish history? Yeah.....it wasn't Mexico. It was.....PUERTO RICO. We were, along with Cuba, the last Spanish possessions until 1898, long after Mexico became independent. Puerto Rico and the Philippines were all under one flag from the time the Spanish settled Manila, until 1946.
That's not true up until the 1990s up to 90% of Philippines populations spoke and/or utilized and/or understood Spanish

Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Here is a blog about Filipinos and Latinos, the similarities between them that make them Primos ( Cousins ).

10 Reasons Why Latinos and Filipinos Are Primos | Article | Remezcla | Remezcla.com
Awesome!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK Brown. View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-wLo4pnlQc

Coyuca, Guerrero, Mexico.
This is were the majority of Filipinos settled the most.
Francisco Mongoy was native of this town and served also in the armies of Morelos and Guerrero.
María Faustina Benítez de Álvarez, was the spouse of Juan Alvarez.
Juan Alvarez was in charge of the movement when Vicente Guerrero was assassinated.

Both Mongoy and Faustina were Filipinos.

For those who don't know Guerrero's accomplishments, he was the one that abolished slavery in the New Spain(Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Guam, Islas Marianas, Filipinas and Republica Dominicana) back then.
He also went and arrange the movement of American indian tribes into Mexican Territory, those tribes meet at San Antonio Texas(back then was Coahuila, and before that it's name was Nueva Filipinas).
Kikapues, Cherokees, Seminoles and others that were hustled by American troops.

All of these done in one short term: April 1, 1823 – October 10, 1824, beat that Obama!

His whole name: Vicente Ramón Guerrero Saldaña.
The first Mexican president of African decent.
Second president of Mexico.
Actually it was Haitians that abolished slavery in Dominican Republic after 1821/1822, and it wasn't part of New Spain at the time.

Slavery was not abolished in Puerto Rico until 1873 and it was NOT part of New Spain at all the time either.

Slavery was not abolished in Cuba until 1886 and it was NOT part of New Spain at all at the time either.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
English is a universal language so it is important to learn it, however I don't think it should be given more importance than Spanish because Spanish played a more important role in the history of the Philippines. Having removed it took away a big part of the Philippine history, Filipino culture and Filipino identity. Look at the big mess now of Filipinos not really knowing so much about their culture and history. Our dialects could never be completed without the use of the Spanish words. Spanish should not just be an elective subject in schools but SHOULD be one of the major subjects in schools like the way it used to be.

English is a universal language yes, but would it be better to be able to speak two of the most widely spoken languages in the world instead of just one ? I don't know why Americans and English only think that it's enough to be able to speak English. Most Europeans speak atleast 3 languages. My husband speaks English, French, Spanish and his own language plus he can understand a little Italian. If Filipinos are still able to speak Spanish, they can still relate more to Latin America for business and trade and there will also be more Filipinos working in Latin America and Spain. It would still make Filipinos ahead of everyone because they of speaking two of the most important languages in the world.
Would you support the re institution and reimposition of Spanish as an official language of the Philippines again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or