Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:18 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

I don't consider them Hispanics on two grounds:

1. The vast majority of Filipinos don't even speak as their mother tongue nor do they understand Spanish. That's the technical definition of Hispanic and they don't qualify. This doesn't mean there are no Hispanic Filipinos, just that they are not even remotely a sizable minority. Maybe in Manila they might have some demographic weight, but I doubt it. The Philippines is not like the typical Hispanic American countries where most of the people speak Spanish as their mother tongue.

2. The average Filipino has 0% of Spanish blood mixed and this would had been their saving grace in lieu of speaking Spanish, but they fail miserably again. Similar to the language definition, thus doesn't mean there are no Filipino Hispanics because many have Spanish blood, they simply don't have much weight from a demographically point of view. The Philippines is not like Mexico, Colombia, Chile; Argentina, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic; El Salvador, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico; or several other countries where most people do have Spanish lineages that can be confirmed in DNA tests. Phillipines is more like Equatorial Guinea in the genetic sphere, but even those Africans speak more Spanish than the Philippines, heck Spanish is still one of their official languages and it's the language of government which is something that doesn't exist in the Philippines.

With this said, I did met a Hispanic Filipino. He was mixed with Spanish blood even though he doesn't speak much Spanish. But he's more of an exception among Filipinos and he even acknowledged that. He doesn't consider himself Hispanic, but I do.

The one thing Philippines has in common with the rest of the Spanish world is the history of being a part of Spain for various centuries and that it was governed from Mexico City. Obviously the extensive adherence to Roman Catholicism is another connection, but beyond that the Philippines is very much its own special world unlike anywhere else in the former Spanish Empire.

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-11-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 10:33 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK Brown. View Post
Spanish Made Easy and Practical For Filipinos

It is important for the Filipino community to start the use of the Spanish language.
Many doors can be opened when a language is used, specially one that is on massive expansion and growing importance.

Filipino brothers don't behind.

Saludos,
I would like for this to take place, but I'm not Filipino and its up to them to decide. I think the Philippines should make an effort to get closer to all the former overseas provinces of Spain, mainly Hispanic America. They were all one gigantic country for centuries, it would be a shame to now pretend as if that means nothing or that the connection between the Philippibes and all those countries is a thing if the past. 500 more or less years as part of Spain is not something to be written off with ease.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Is ceviche a common dish in the Philippines or do they have something similar to ceviche?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Is ceviche a common dish in the Philippines or do they have something similar to ceviche?
There is Kinilaw, I don't know how popular it is throughout the islands. This site localizes it to the Visayas

Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
We have Kinilaw. It is very similar to Ceviche but we use vinegar instead of Lime.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Just looked for some kinilaw recipes online, I'm going to try to make some weekend.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 PM

38,862 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No, they're Asian.

That's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
No. They are Asians. That is ridiculous.
^^^ I agree with these statements.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:24 PM

570 posts, read 490,838 times
Filipino brothers, you are not the only ones that the world refuse to recognize their links to the Spanish world comunities.

Ecuatorial Guinea.
Interesting that our brothers in Africa speak a Spanish called "old Spanish", notice that they use the Z and C sounds like the Spaniards do, not like Latinoamerica who don't uses them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhWKsV7Hax4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BKO2_bcqcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8-FMMar3ok

But, you guys will prevail!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
People need to stop reviving this dying topic. Let it die like it's supposed to, no one cares about it anymore, not with 70% voting against.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:56 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times

I agree, this thread has run its course and is now closed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia