U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM

15 posts, read 29,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
OF COURSE Japan and Taiwan are not hispanic...

BUT/PERO:
1. Equatorial Guinea is the only Spanish speaking country in Africa (1968)
2. Western Sahara was Spanish territory until taken over by Morocco (1976/1979)

so if they are not considered Hispanic country, why would the Philippines be considered Hispanic? Is it because people from Eq Guinea and W Sahara are black?
Also just like the Philippines, a citizen of Eq Guinea only needs 2 years of residency in Spain to become a citizen.

-----

Guinea Ecuatorial is considered Hispanic concerning the Spanish Naturalization Law, so are Sephardic Jews.

Saharauis are not black by any chance.

Last edited by Pimpinel; 02-06-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 29,935 times
[quote=Stumbler.;22868546]Isn't Hispanic in the most common way I hear it here, a really US-centered concept that might not be thought of as the same in other parts of the world. The American or New World-centered definition has really shaped our perception.

-----

In Spain, Hispano is a very old fashioned term with certain jingoist/fascist smell to some liberals that refers to any inhabitant of Spain, Portugal and the former empire in America.

Hispano is a word related with "empire" and all the typical Francoist speech, so the term was not specially in vogue until Americans started to use the word in their media.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:59 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
The overwhelming majority here feel, quite rightly, that Filipinos are not Hispanic. I wouldn't be surprised if Hispanics agreed. This thread has run it's course imo.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The overwhelming majority here feel, quite rightly, that Filipinos are not Hispanic. I wouldn't be surprised if Hispanics agreed. This thread has run it's course imo.
I think it's a bit ridiculous to say that Filipinos aren't even semi-Hispanic. You'd have to erase 300 years of history for them not to be.

I've watched several of these videos about Spaniards traveling to the Philippines and I get the sense that they can feel a connection with the culture in many ways. Whereas in episodes where they travel to other parts of Asia, the culture seems completely foreign.

Callejeros Viajeros en Manila (Filipinas) [1x04] - YouTube

Madrileños por el Mundo - Madrileños por el Mundo: Filipinas - YouTube

Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,455,420 times
I saw nothing Hispanic in the videos. Except a few playing (basque) pelota, and interview with spaniards on holiday.

The Philipines is pretty much Asian, not Hispanic, I am one.
Agree with Tri, thread has run its course

Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 AM

192 posts, read 645,156 times
This is such an interesting thread and one of the most popular in this site. I like it. I used to think that Filipinos and Filipinas are just Asian because of the physical features of most of it's citizens and of course of it's geographic location in Asia. Now, come to think of it, Filipinos and Filipinas are both Asians and Hispanic.

Love this site! Keep talking folks. Don't get discourage because a very few disgruntled regulars would like it shut down.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 AM

btw, here's another thread that shouldn't have been forcefully shutdown, http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...hispanics.html .

pinai, keep posting! I love you comments. You're doing fine. You haven't done any mistakes.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I saw nothing Hispanic in the videos. Except a few playing (basque) pelota, and interview with spaniards on holiday.

The Philipines is pretty much Asian, not Hispanic, I am one.
Agree with Tri, thread has run its course
Nah! It hasn't run it's course.... This thread will continue.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM

The Philippines will eventually become a country with three official languages - Tagalog, English (American not Australian) and Spanish (from Spain, of course). There's serious effort by the Philippine government to integrate Spanish as a 3rd language.

In California, there's a separate race category for Filipinos .
In Spain, Filipinos are considered Hispanics. Something I learned from this site. So please DO NOT SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD. If you don't like it, skip it.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,455,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
The Philippines will eventually become a country with three official languages - Tagalog, English (American not Australian) and Spanish (from Spain, of course). There's serious effort by the Philippine government to integrate Spanish as a 3rd language.

In California, there's a separate race category for Filipinos .
In Spain, Filipinos are considered Hispanics. Something I learned from this site. So please DO NOT SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD. If you don't like it, skip it.
It was already a country of 3 languages preivouusly. I have no idea why the Philippine government will pursue adding Spanish when it was removed in the 1987 constitution due to lack of usage. But speaking Spanish does not necessarily make one hispanic no more than speaking English makes one British or American.

Spain: thats their perspective (former colony and all), any place they plundered is hispanic

California: there is even a race category for Laotions, Hmongs, etc. etc. I looked at the CSU application online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or