U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 AM

9,334 posts, read 19,470,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
btw, here's another thread that shouldn't have been forcefully shutdown, http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...hispanics.html .

pinai, keep posting! I love you comments. You're doing fine. You haven't done any mistakes.
she just hs to be careful with copyrighted material

Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 PM

192 posts, read 645,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
It was already a country of 3 languages preivouusly. I have no idea why the Philippine government will pursue adding Spanish when it was removed in the 1987 constitution due to lack of usage. But speaking Spanish does not necessarily make one hispanic no more than speaking English makes one British or American.

Spain: thats their perspective (former colony and all), any place they plundered is hispanic

California: there is even a race category for Laotions, Hmongs, etc. etc. I looked at the CSU application online.
My guess is that Spanish was removed in the 1987 constitution because the Philippines need to show it's pro-American stance to the U.S.A after the overthrow of Ferdinand Marcos. The U.S. is more important as an ally than Spain during the Cold War. Plus, the U.S. still has those important military bases in the P.I. during the Cold War and the U.S. will do about everything to keep them there including installing another puppet government. The Philippines is careful not to anger the U.S. Btw, the Spaniards are ecstatic about reintroducing their language in the P.I.

Fast forward, former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is a fluent Spanish speaker. She reintroduced the effort to bring Spanish back in the Philippines, rightfully in my opinion. Philippines is nothing without the Spaniards. The Spaniards created the Philippines and stayed there for 330 years. The United States is only around 230 years old just to give you an idea how much influence the Spaniards have in the country. Spanish, the language, is crucial to Philippine identity. It's the missing link to a big part of it's national culture. So, in my book, I'm siding with the Spaniards that the Filipinos/Filipinas are hispanic. You can call them Asian Hispanics. Btw, there are black hispanics, too.

Filipinos/Filipinas are both Asians, Hispanics and Polynesians. The Hispanic and Polynesian part of the Filipinos have been erased in modern grade school history by the European and American colonizers. To add to your confusion, the Philippines is historically open to immigrants. Now, there's a wave of South Koreans, Persians and Brazilians moving in the P.I. In the U.S., at least half of the Filipinos I know are a product of an interracial marriage. Filipinos just like to mix with other races...it's part of the culture.

Put aside your definition of Hispanic with race or physical features. Hispanic is a cultural identity that traced back to Spain and it's language, Spanish.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,470,374 times
Quote:
My guess is that Spanish was removed in the 1987 constitution because the Philippines need to show it's pro-American stance to the U.S.A after the overthrow of Ferdinand Marcos. The U.S. is more important as an ally than Spain during the Cold War. Plus, the U.S. still has those important military bases in the P.I. during the Cold War and the U.S. will do about everything to keep them there including installing another puppet government. The Philippines is careful not to anger the U.S. Btw, the Spaniards are ecstatic about reintroducing their language in the P.I.

Fast forward, former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo is a fluent Spanish speaker. She reintroduced the effort to bring Spanish back in the Philippines, rightfully in my opinion. Philippines is nothing without the Spaniards. The Spaniards created the Philippines and stayed there for 330 years. The United States is only around 230 years old just to give you an idea how much influence the Spaniards have in the country. Spanish, the language, is crucial to Philippine identity. It's the missing link to a big part of it's national culture. So, in my book, I'm siding with the Spaniards that the Filipinos/Filipinas are hispanic. You can call them Asian Hispanics. Btw, there are black hispanics, too.

Filipinos/Filipinas are both Asians, Hispanics and Polynesians. The Hispanic and Polynesian part of the Filipinos have been erased in modern grade school history by the European and American colonizers. To add to your confusion, the Philippines is historically open to immigrants. Now, there's a wave of South Koreans, Persians and Brazilians moving in the P.I. In the U.S., at least half of the Filipinos I know are a product of an interracial marriage. Filipinos just like to mix with other races...it's part of the culture.

Put aside your definition of Hispanic with race or physical features. Hispanic is a cultural identity that traced back to Spain and it's language, Spanish.
You do know the bases are long gone correct? If the Philippines wanted to kiss America's bum, they would hve kept the bases open.

Its nice that Arroyo can speak Spanish, but the great majority of Filipinos don't speak the language, so it should be an uphill battle to reintroduce it.

How much time have you spent in the RP? I don't associate Hispanic with race or language. As someone who is half Filipino and has spend mny years there, I still say they are culturally asian.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,225,702 times
Quote:
Considering that Gloria Macapagal Arroyoʻs ancestor, Juan Macapagal, helped the Spanish to suppress the Philippines during the 17th Century and was handsomely rewarded by the Spanish crown for his efforts, it's not surprising...

Quote:
Filipinos/Filipinas are both Asians, Hispanics and Polynesians. The Hispanic and Polynesian part of the Filipinos have been erased in modern grade school history by the European and American colonizers.
While Pilipinos and Polynesian have a few distant ancestors in common, Pilipinos are not descended from Polynesians.

Quote:
Before the Spanish came to the Philippines, Muslims were there. Sheik Karim ul-Makhdum (a 14th Century Arab trader and scholar) and other Muslims had an enormous influence on the culture of the Philippines that rivals that of the Spanish and the Americans.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Quote:
btw, here's another thread that shouldn't have been forcefully shutdown, http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...hispanics.html .

pinai, keep posting! I love you comments. You're doing fine. You haven't done any mistakes.
Another reason why the mods should have closed this thread a long time ago. Basically a duplicate thread. I think some people just want to prove how Spanish Filipinos are.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Quote:
The Philippines will eventually become a country with three official languages - Tagalog, English (American not Australian) and Spanish (from Spain, of course). There's serious effort by the Philippine government to integrate Spanish as a 3rd language.

In California, there's a separate race category for Filipinos .
In Spain, Filipinos are considered Hispanics. Something I learned from this site. So please DO NOT SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD. If you don't like it, skip it.
If you're hoping for that you're disappointed...Spanish might be useful for Filipinos looking to immigrate to the United States, or if they want to live and work in Latin America, but within the islands themselves Spanish is becoming of less and less importance. Spanish has not been the language of the common people since the early 20th century in the Philippines - already a diverse mix of ethnic/tribal groups with their own languages. Even today, no one language maintains a plurality in the Philippines. Unlike English, Spanish only really has benefit in one half of the world. I personally do think Spanish has it's uses, but not for the average Filipino villager or urbanite in Manila.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,225,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Polynesians are descended from Filipinos, at least partly. So it's the other way around.
According to DNA evidence, that's not correct either. Here's a link to a PDF of study on the origins of Polynesians...
http://www.pnas.org/content/97/15/8225.full.pdf

Although modern-day Pilipinos and Polynesians have some distant ancestors in common, neither group is descended from the other.

Quote:
So traditionally, Filipinos have more in common with Pacific Islanders, but that's changed because of outside influence from Mainland Asian (Chinese, Muslim, and Indian). But you can find many things in common between the languages of the Philippines and the languages of the Pacific. Just look at the words for numbers.
Pilipinos have more in common with other Southeast Asians, such as Malaysians and Indonesians, than they do with Pacific Islanders. The "family tree" of Austronesian languages supports this as well...
Austronesian Basic Vocabulary Database: Research

However, the DNA of ancient and modern pigs in the Pacific sheds further light on the actual migration patterns of humans...
Pig DNA Suggests Alternate Origin of Malayo-Polynesian People | Fox News

Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
According to DNA evidence, that's not correct either. Here's a link to a PDF of study on the origins of Polynesians...
http://www.pnas.org/content/97/15/8225.full.pdf

Although modern-day Pilipinos and Polynesians have some distant ancestors in common, neither group is descended from the other.

Pilipinos have more in common with other Southeast Asians, such as Malaysians and Indonesians, than they do with Pacific Islanders. The "family tree" of Austronesian languages supports this as well...
Austronesian Basic Vocabulary Database: Research

However, the DNA of ancient and modern pigs in the Pacific sheds further light on the actual migration patterns of humans...
Pig DNA Suggests Alternate Origin of Malayo-Polynesian People | Fox News
I didn't completely understand the first link. But what I gathered was that they're saying that the point of origin was in Mainland Southeast Asia. That wouldn't change the fact that both Filipinos and Polynesians have the same point of origin. But it seems like Mainland Southeast Asia doesn't have much left of Austronesian culture/language. Whereas in the rest of Austronesia, you can see similarities in the language/culture, even from Taiwan all the way out to the far reaches of the Pacific and to Madagascar. How did Austronesian culture & language just disappear from Mainland Southeast Asia (with the exception of the Chams, a later migration from Indonesian)

And the second link you posted agrees with the generally accepted thought that Polynesians are descended (partially) from Taiwanese Aborigines, like Filipinos are. It shows a map that looks similar to the one I posted. That still seems to be the accepted theory.

I agree that the Philippines has much in common with Malaysia & Indonesia, but not really the rest of Southeast Asia. Linguistically, they're completely different. I'd also add that it has a lot in common with Micronesia, especially Guam, Palau, and the Mariana Islands. But since the Philippines is associated with being Asian, people fail to realize that other areas close by, like Micronesia, have a lot in common with it as well.

Last edited by Smtchll; 02-08-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,755 times
Default disagree

Quote:
yes many Filipinos want to be America, but not Spanish. Anytime I brought up anything about Spanish when I was in the Philippines, people would act like they didn't know. Most don't even realize that some of the words they use are Spanish loanwords, they just think they're Filipino words. Nobody in the Philippines really cares about Spain anymore. Even the old Spanish families speak English rather than Spanish.
your quote
Nobody in the Philippines really cares about Spain anymore.

Thats very illogical and untrue. youve only met a small number of filipinos in your life and you try and make a grand assumption appllying to 80 million people, how could you possibly know that no filipino cares about spain anymore, you cant, thats is your pro american prejudice being expressed, which is subjective . your trying to push more american influence like many of the other posters here.

Many filipinos want to be americans, true there is a pro american group of filipinos, many of them are the filipnos who migrated to the us or are children of ameri-filipna relatiosnhips. But theres also an anti american group of filipinos as well who strongly advocate the filipino influence and spanish influences. the filipino culture without any american influence is the strongest thing in the philipines> i dont go for kiss arsing anyone, unlike some of the other people here.

The spanish influences saved many filipnos from the slavery of the muslim way, its not hard to see the far greater freedoms of christianity compared to islam

They also established the beautiful roman catholic religion , some magnificent churches, architecture
and the wonderful festivals which is another spanish influence.
favourite foods come from spanish influence too and some lovely churches which are to this day still important community focal points across the phillipines. the spanish are one of the few artistes of europe. Im not spanish by the way

The american influence english language, hollywood movies, boxing, basketball, american music, fast foods, jeepneys everywhere but transformed by filipino art and negatives like guns, mass murders of filipinos in the wars and military bases and its promotion of violent culture and american exploitaion creating prostitution set up by american militaries ,so the american influence was positive and negative, parts of the US culture are horrible and the filipinos were lucky indeed to get free of the usa.

what is your own ancestry by the way?

The philipines expats locations is very diverse and filipinos live in a dozen countries besides the usa.

The philipines is very diverse and has influences from a handful of places,
but the influence of the spanish has been better in the philipines than the infuence of the americans, except for english which is not really american anyway but british.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 AM

192 posts, read 645,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
You do know the bases are long gone correct? If the Philippines wanted to kiss America's bum, they would hve kept the bases open.

Its nice that Arroyo can speak Spanish, but the great majority of Filipinos don't speak the language, so it should be an uphill battle to reintroduce it.

How much time have you spent in the RP? I don't associate Hispanic with race or language. As someone who is half Filipino and has spend mny years there, I still say they are culturally asian.
Of course, it's going to be an uphill battle to learn Spanish but not impossible. Spanish is an easy language to learn if you're Filipino. I spent many many years in the P.I. and in fact, grew up in Pampanga. I used to speak Kapampangan and Tagalog. If you meant Filipinos being culturally Asian , yes, that's partly true. They are also culturally Hispanic and American. So obviously, you haven't been in the P.I. enough to realized the Hispanic influence.

Yes, the bases have been destroyed by the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. They're gone. And the U.S. and the P.I. , despite the rough history between them, like to kiss each other's 'bum' (as you call it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or