U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,495,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
My opinion, but I've read that Tagalog is 25% Spanish-derived vocabulary. As for English, who knows. But no doubt, English is rapidly replacing a lot of native words. And it's also gonna replace many of the Spanish words. Of course, those words will still be there, but in conversational Tagalog it'll be more like 50% native words, 30% English, 20% Spanish.

Celebs already talk like this. It's very annoying. I think normal people will follow (many already do)

KC Concepcion in Sharon Mother's Day Special Part 1 of 2 - YouTube
Thanks. Thought you had come across an academic study, I'm interested in the origins of languages.
Agreed its annoying when people mix the languages, and it seems English is predominant. Then again, I would not understand what the are saying without english.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,979,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post

These Malagasy people are pretty much indistinguishable from most Indonesians.
Austronesian speaking people of Southeast Asia specially the
Island Southeast Asia or Maritime Southeast Asia & Pacific islander
& Austronesian from Madagascar.

Last edited by pinai; 03-06-2012 at 01:07 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 04:09 PM

986 posts, read 1,181,742 times
I find it maarte and funny at the same time! I grew up in California at the age of 7 and forgotten the Tagalog language over time, but picked it up again in my young adult yrs when I was in the military and was stationed in the Philippines in the late 60s! When I retired at age 49 in 1997 and retired in the Philippines, I learned to speak the Tagalog language again fluently, but no Taglish please, because it still sounds funny and maarte to me!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 PM

985 posts, read 3,267,619 times
Lightbulb Austronesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Check this one..

Wow! I didn't know that Chamoru would be so similar to Malay/Indonesian! It's even slightly more similar than Tagalog!

In Malay/Indonesian:

ash = abu
roof = atap
road = jalan
fish = ikan
fire = api
what = apa
sky = langit
[in maori "rangi"]
bird [in some dialects] = manuk / manok
moon = bulan
ear = telinga, talinga [dialect]
eye = mata
vomit = muntah
thin = tipis [become thinner = menipis]
land = tanah
name = nama
people [dialects] = tou
breast = susu [also "milk"]
star = bintang
rain = ujan
me = aku
you = kau
s/he = dia, ia
we = kita
we = kami
you = kamu

The prefix "men-" is also very active in Malay/Indonesian and the changes following the next sound are almost identical to chamoru.
men + cari = mencari, nyari [dialect]
men + pilih = memilih
men + tahan = menahan

Malagasy:

o is pronounced like u [roa, telo, fito, valo, folo, volana, vohitra are pronounced like rua, telu, fitu, valu, fulu, vulana, vhiT]

tr is a single sound which shifts the stress. So efatra, vohitra sounds like faT, vhiT.

final i is written as y, as in the case of dimy, sivy, and Malagasy.

isa 1
roa 2
telo 3
efatra 4
dimy 5
enina 6
fito 7
valo 8
sivy 9
folo 10

moon = volana
eye = maso
fire = afo
mountain = vohitra
star = kintana

Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 PM

Philippines was included to the 1st spanish constitution along with the other spain colony regarding the Viva La Pepa in Cadiz, Spain. The Philippines sent 2 delegate to signed the constitution from that 303 people who signed the 1st Spain Constitution.

It was 1812 when the Spain government declared all people of the Philippines including the natives as Spanish Citizens along with Ibero-America that ended till 1898. This is one of the shared history of the Philippines to the other Spanish colonies to Spain.

They just celebrated the Bicentenial celebration 1812-2012 last March 19.

Last edited by pinai; 04-02-2012 at 12:33 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 AM

986 posts, read 1,181,742 times
Me, I'm a Fil/Am and don't speak a word of Spanish, but my Tagalog is a bit rough though around the edges since I've just picked up the Tagalog language again after retiring in the Philippines in 1997!
I now blend in with the locals just fine!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 AM

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482170_10150625868892635_47261762634_9257176_12499 01332_n.jpg (broken link)

During the Bicentennial Cadiz Constitution 1812-1898 celebration in Cadiz, Spain last March 19, 2012. The 1st Spain Constitution. Spain flags together with the Ibero-American and Philippine flags who shared the historical link to the Cadiz Constitution.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305556_10150631593887635_47261762634_9277781_15456 66629_n.jpg (broken link)

Mr. Ventura de los Reyes was the Filipino signatory of 303 people and 2 other Filipino asisted him.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Israelis Asian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
NO

I would consider them Asian, why? Because it's in Asia.
But I know a few who wouldn't consider themselves Asian, so you might be on to something
Following that logic,

Yemenis
Lebanese
Israelis
Turks
Russians from Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg, Omsk, Chelyabinsk, etc.

are Asians.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM

491 posts, read 1,335,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Following that logic,

Yemenis
Lebanese
Israelis
Turks
Russians from Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg, Omsk, Chelyabinsk, etc.

are Asians.
I can't argue with that, you have a point.
Map of Asia, Asia Map, Asian Country Maps, Countries, Landforms, Rivers, and Geography Information - Worldatlas.com

Specifically Turkey, which is officially, politically, and geographically both part of Asia and Europe. The largest part, Anatolia, is part of Asia. So yes, by the other posters logic, Iranians, Iraqis, Turks, Pakistanis are Asians.

So, bottom line, it's not that simple to put the country in a category because the Philippines was rulled by Spain for almost 356 years. One cannot categorically deny their Spanish culture. It has been influenced by a number of cultures, Muslim Arabs in the 1300s, the Chinese merchant traders, the Rule of Spain for 356 years, and the most recent the United States. But, to deny their Spanish culture of 356 years is just silly.

As an expat that worked in the Philippines, I saw the Spanish culture everywhere from their religion to their food to the name sake of the country from King Philip of Spain. Heck, even their currency today is the peso. The Filipino culture is predominantly Spanish in almost every way and comparable to the Latin countries. The original national anthem was written and sang in Spanish. The flag that they raised during their revolution had "VIVA LA REPUBLICA FILIPINA" written on it. Traditions and celebrated holidays and important days are the same as the days celebrated in Spanish speaking countries.

What makes it difficult for people to understand and easy to deny their Spanish culture is that Spanish isn't widely spoken throughout the country, only by the upper class of society and every generation it's even less. There are also full blooded Spaniards in the Philippines that cannot Speak Spanish unlike their parents generation.

One reason why Spanish wasn't widely Spoken is because the Spanish Friars made it a point that the masses should not learn to speak and read Spanish. The Friars kept things in secrecy and it was advantageous for the Friars to keep the masses with as little knowledge of Spanish as possible even though it was the official language. The upper class and educated were the group that ultimately spoke the Spanish language. Well, one might asked, how can a country not speak Spanish after 356 years of Spanish rule. Well, just look at the native Americans in the US and Canada, only 3 Native American laguages in the US and Canada are expected to survive into the next 40 years, despite the many different Native American Languages that has survived for thousands of years. The past policy of the American government by promoting English and banning the native language has to do with it. In the Philipines case it was the other way around, they kept Spanish in secrecy and not widely taught, the results are the same, when a ruling power promotes one language over the other, it will succeed.

When the Americans took over the country in 1898, Spanish was banned completely and English promoted, as a result of that, English is widely spoken in the Philippines today. With the exception of the poor communties in the provinces, the mode of instruction in the Philippines is the English language, meaning if you attend a math class in high school or college, the class is taught in English. When people from a different provinces can't speak Tagalog, even though Tagalog is one of the official language, the other English, they speak in English to communicate.
It is this reason, why Spanish is not widely spoken today in the Philippines today but one cannot deny their Spanish heritage of 356 years.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 AM

Thumbs up Filipinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
I can't argue with that, you have a point.
Map of Asia, Asia Map, Asian Country Maps, Countries, Landforms, Rivers, and Geography Information - Worldatlas.com

Specifically Turkey, which is officially, politically, and geographically both part of Asia and Europe. The largest part, Anatolia, is part of Asia. So yes, by the other posters logic, Iranians, Iraqis, Turks, Pakistanis are Asians.

So, bottom line, it's not that simple to put the country in a category because the Philippines was rulled by Spain for almost 356 years. One cannot categorically deny their Spanish culture. It has been influenced by a number of cultures, Muslim Arabs in the 1300s, the Chinese merchant traders, the Rule of Spain for 356 years, and the most recent the United States. But, to deny their Spanish culture of 356 years is just silly.

As an expat that worked in the Philippines, I saw the Spanish culture everywhere from their religion to their food to the name sake of the country from King Philip of Spain. Heck, even their currency today is the peso. The Filipino culture is predominantly Spanish in almost every way and comparable to the Latin countries. The original national anthem was written and sang in Spanish. The flag that they raised during their revolution had "VIVA LA REPUBLICA FILIPINA" written on it. Traditions and celebrated holidays and important days are the same as the days celebrated in Spanish speaking countries.

What makes it difficult for people to understand and easy to deny their Spanish culture is that Spanish isn't widely spoken throughout the country, only by the upper class of society and every generation it's even less. There are also full blooded Spaniards in the Philippines that cannot Speak Spanish unlike their parents generation.

One reason why Spanish wasn't widely Spoken is because the Spanish Friars made it a point that the masses should not learn to speak and read Spanish. The Friars kept things in secrecy and it was advantageous for the Friars to keep the masses with as little knowledge of Spanish as possible even though it was the official language. The upper class and educated were the group that ultimately spoke the Spanish language. Well, one might asked, how can a country not speak Spanish after 356 years of Spanish rule. Well, just look at the native Americans in the US and Canada, only 3 Native American laguages in the US and Canada are expected to survive into the next 40 years, despite the many different Native American Languages that has survived for thousands of years. The past policy of the American government by promoting English and banning the native language has to do with it. In the Philipines case it was the other way around, they kept Spanish in secrecy and not widely taught, the results are the same, when a ruling power promotes one language over the other, it will succeed.

When the Americans took over the country in 1898, Spanish was banned completely and English promoted, as a result of that, English is widely spoken in the Philippines today. With the exception of the poor communties in the provinces, the mode of instruction in the Philippines is the English language, meaning if you attend a math class in high school or college, the class is taught in English. When people from a different provinces can't speak Tagalog, even though Tagalog is one of the official language, the other English, they speak in English to communicate.
It is this reason, why Spanish is not widely spoken today in the Philippines today but one cannot deny their Spanish heritage of 356 years.
I personally think that's one of the best posts in this thread.

Over three and a half centuries of Spanish rule has left undeniable footprints.

Also thank you for explaining why Spanish as spoken language didn't come to be that widespread in the Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or