U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,458,887 times
Reputation: 4442

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I personally think that's one of the best posts in this thread.

Over three and a half centuries of Spanish rule has left undeniable footprints.

Also thank you for explaining why Spanish as spoken language didn't come to be that widespread in the Philippines.
The british left their mark in hong kong, does this make hong kongers british?
Many other analogies

My famiky was cnsidered upper class and yes we spoke spanish at home, but there was no affinity to spain, nor did the family identify with Spain or any other hispanic country

 
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The british left their mark in hong kong, does this make hong kongers british?
Many other analogies

My famiky was cnsidered upper class and yes we spoke spanish at home, but there was no affinity to spain, nor did the family identify with Spain or any other hispanic country
Bad analogy. There's no British equivalent to the term "Hispanic" If there were, then Hong Kong would fall under that term, along with India, Australia, US, etc.
 
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,277 posts, read 5,167,111 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The british left their mark in hong kong, does this make hong kongers british?
Many other analogies

My famiky was cnsidered upper class and yes we spoke spanish at home, but there was no affinity to spain, nor did the family identify with Spain or any other hispanic country
The Spanish influence on the Philippines is leagues bigger than the British influence on current Hong Kong.
 
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The Spanish influence on the Philippines is leagues bigger than the British influence on current Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has changed a lot since 1997. The Philippines has of course changed vastly since the days of Spanish rule. Nowadays it's more influenced by the US and it's American legacy than Spanish. HK actually has a lot of British influence - their system of government/law and order/street names/buildings. Although English fluency is lower than expected, well below Singapore where I feel the British legacy is actually more deep-seated, despite Singapore becoming a republic in 1965 (and 1957 as part of Malaysia).
 
Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,277 posts, read 5,167,111 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hong Kong has changed a lot since 1997. The Philippines has of course changed vastly since the days of Spanish rule. Nowadays it's more influenced by the US and it's American legacy than Spanish. HK actually has a lot of British influence - their system of government/law and order/street names/buildings. Although English fluency is lower than expected, well below Singapore where I feel the British legacy is actually more deep-seated, despite Singapore becoming a republic in 1965 (and 1957 as part of Malaysia).
I'm well aware there is a British influence on Hong Kong. I'm also well aware that there is an American influence on the Philippines. However, there is still a whole lot of Spanish influence on in that is deeply ingrained in the Filipino culture.
 
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm well aware there is a British influence on Hong Kong. I'm also well aware that there is an American influence on the Philippines. However, there is still a whole lot of Spanish influence on in that is deeply ingrained in the Filipino culture.
I disagree that the Spanish influence on the Philippines today is higher than the British influence in Hong Kong. Have you even been to either country?
 
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,458,887 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm well aware there is a British influence on Hong Kong. I'm also well aware that there is an American influence on the Philippines. However, there is still a whole lot of Spanish influence on in that is deeply ingrained in the Filipino culture.
Your missing my point.

Are filipinos hispanic bec of a past Spanish conquest?
People would not say the same about HongKongers, despite a strong British influence which was there until even more recently than the spaniards in the philippinres.

I
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 AM
 
985 posts, read 3,261,851 times
Reputation: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Bad analogy. There's no British equivalent to the term "Hispanic" If there were, then Hong Kong would fall under that term, along with India, Australia, US, etc.
You're right. I can't think of any British equivalent to the term "Hispanic".
 
Old 05-29-2012, 02:32 AM
 
355 posts, read 1,038,693 times
Reputation: 307
Hispanics is not a race, but a culture.
 
Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 AM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,458,887 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The Spanish influence on the Philippines is leagues bigger than the British influence on current Hong Kong.
How would you know? You cant measure it. Do you have an academic study you can provide a link to to justify your claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top