U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 PM

4,383 posts, read 5,552,202 times

Advertisements

No, they are Asians. However they have hispanic in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,018,231 times
No, but they do have cultural similarities due to the long era of Spanish rule.

However, some cultural aspects, like the (historical) status of women, make them more similar to Malay peoples like Indonesians and Malaysians. And the muslim peoples in the south of the country do have more in common with their fellow brethren in Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei than they do with the rest of the Phillipines.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,532,413 times
Not Hispanic. Filipino culture has been heavily influenced by the Spanish rule, as other posters have mentioned, but they're not Hispanic.

One of my closest friends is Pinay and she identifies as a "Pacific Islander" NOT as an Asian. I think that term is more accurate.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 AM

10,330 posts, read 13,718,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That "look" is not Hispanic but more Polynesian although they can look similar. My little brother is Filipino. When he's in Hawaii people assume he's a native Hawaiian. Interestingly in NC where he lives a lot of people assume he's Mexican.
That's funny b/c I'm half Mexican, half Filipino and whenever I am in Hawaii people always assume I'm a local even though on the mainland no one ever assumes I'm Filipino or anything else but Mexican.

I would agree that Filipino's have a more Polynesian/Pacific Island influence in both looks and culture more so than anything Hispanic imo.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 AM

517 posts, read 764,110 times
Yea I live in The Bay Area which has the 2nd largest population of Filipino's and I don't think I have EVER heard them refered to as Hispanic. They were a former colony of Spain so ofcourse some of that rubbed off on the culture. Stanford did a research study on Filipinos and they found that they share a Y Chromosome that is also predominat among Chinese, Koreans, and Vietanmese. The study also concluded that only about 3.6% of the population actually had European ancenstry from Spain and The United States colonization. So I think it's more appropriate to consider them Asian than Hispanic.

Filipino people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 AM

2,520 posts, read 2,534,390 times
Filipinos use Spanish words, but then again they also English words, so you might as well call them Anglos. Which points at the problem: you don't hear people ask "are Kenyans Anglos"? Because there isn't such a thing as an Anglo category. Eventually Hispanics is Bravenewworldian for "them spics". It doesn't make any more sense than saying "Anglos".

Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 AM

2,520 posts, read 2,534,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Yea I live in The Bay Area which has the 2nd largest population of Filipino's and I don't think I have EVER heard them refered to as Hispanic. They were a former colony of Spain so ofcourse some of that rubbed off on the culture. Stanford did a research study on Filipinos and they found that they share a Y Chromosome that is also predominat among Chinese, Koreans, and Vietanmese. The study also concluded that only about 3.6% of the population actually had European ancenstry from Spain and The United States colonization. So I think it's more appropriate to consider them Asian than Hispanic.

Filipino people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hispanicity has nothing to do with DNA. If you go to the Andes you'd sooner find a submarine than a drop of Spanish blood. Stanford could as well have saved that money to buy a water cooler.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,222,640 times
i went to school with a girl with a first and last "hispanic name." she looked like your "stereotypical hispanic" female from the caribbean (such as pr, dr, cuba...not mexico or central america).

take a wild guess where she was from?

you would swear on your life that she wasn't asian. this would be like me telling you j lo was from the phillippines. it would blow a lot of ppl's minds.

anyway, with that said, filipinos are asian. some refer to themselves as pacific islanders but they are asian. are japanese ppl pacific islanders? etc. etc.
in order to be hispanic, you have to speak spanish or come from spanish speaking ppl. filipinos don't speak spanish they speak tagalog, so...

also, yes, some africans migrated to (or however you want to say it) the phillippines because of a war. they didn't believe in the war, iirc, and left and mixed with the population. i don't know the amount of black ppl but yeah...learned that in history class.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 AM

438 posts, read 638,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any citizens of a country where Catholicism/Christianity was "forced" upon the conquered land, to me, will never truly be Christians or Catholics.

I work with any number of Philipino's and I see right through their Christian talk and see a Bhuddist that will never die.

The same with Mexicans. I see right through them.

I spent 12 years in Catholic parochial schools and I know a Catholic when I see them.

And it even makes me wonder about my ancestral religions, and how much influence they are having on me to this day.

You are mistaken. Catholicism was not forced on either the Phillipine islands or Mexico. Filipinos today who choose to be Catholic are not coerced and neither are Hispanics.

I have spent almost a half century in the Catholic Church and that trumps your twelve years of Catholic schooling.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 AM

1,645 posts, read 2,087,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i went to school with a girl with a first and last "hispanic name." she looked like your "stereotypical hispanic" female from the caribbean (such as pr, dr, cuba...not mexico or central america).

take a wild guess where she was from?

you would swear on your life that she wasn't asian. this would be like me telling you j lo was from the phillippines. it would blow a lot of ppl's minds.

anyway, with that said, filipinos are asian. some refer to themselves as pacific islanders but they are asian. are japanese ppl pacific islanders? etc. etc.
in order to be hispanic, you have to speak spanish or come from spanish speaking ppl. filipinos don't speak spanish they speak tagalog, so...

also, yes, some africans migrated to (or however you want to say it) the phillippines because of a war. they didn't believe in the war, iirc, and left and mixed with the population. i don't know the amount of black ppl but yeah...learned that in history class.
Hispanic is a broad cultural term that has come to define the offspring of the Spanish conquistadors and the Amerindians of South and Central America. Speaking Spanish as a first language is not enough, as Spaniards themselves are white, not Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia