U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Exactly. And some of us like to put people in boxes and make them choose. We are unfortunately often conditioned to think in terms of
"either Y or X or .."
instead of
"Y as well as X as well as ..".

Some folks like to insist that Philippines are either Pacific Islander or Asian, assuming that PI and Asian are mutually exclusive, even though Philippines are unquestionably linguistically and phenotypically much closer to Pacific Islanders than to East or South Asians, as pinai and the videos show us.

So to the question "Are Philippines .. ?", one can answer:

Pacific Islander ~ Yes

Asian ~ Yes

Hispanic ~ [see poll options ]
Agreed. The Philippines is where Asia meets the Pacific Islands. The original culture was much more related to the Pacific Islands (especially Micronesia) than to Mainland Asia, but because of it's close proximity to the Mainland, it got a lot of direct and indirect influence from China & India, making it more and more Asian. Then of course the Spanish came and stayed for 333 years, then the Americans stayed for a few decades but I feel like their influence still continues today.

So really, a Filipino could feel reasonably comfortable in Thailand, Latin American, Spain, Micronesia, or in the US.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:35 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Here's a video clip that has resemblance to Mexico and Philippines connection

There is also Jose Rizal monument in Mexico, There is also one in Lima, Peru

Last edited by pinai; 07-14-2012 at 03:57 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Do you think some of my ethnic cultural dance has similarities to other Asian countries?
I came from the province of Pangasinan.

The following Pangasinan Folkdances are:
  1. Maliket A Polka
  2. Immunan
  3. Wasiwas/Oasioas
  4. Sayaw Ed Tapew na Bangko
  5. Pasikat na Baso
  6. Binasuan
  7. Jota Pangasinan
  8. Konan
  9. Habanera Soltera
  10. Habasinan
  11. Lanceros de Lingayen
  12. Binislakan
  13. Valse Vieja
  14. Pampilpilalekan
  15. Pandanggo sa Tapis
  16. Nilistonan
  17. Tupaan
  18. Binuyugan
  19. Tubong Kalatong
  20. Sigsilew
  21. La Simpateka
  22. Mariposa
  23. OntanAy
  24. Balangbang
  25. Mazurka Val
  26. Panangabalayan
  27. Kumakaret
Here are some of the videos:

Konan (It's a coin dance)

Wasiwas (using candle which is similar folkdance in Mindoro "Pandanggo sa Ilaw")

Sayaw sa Bangko (Sayaw ed tapew na Bangko)

Habasinan (wedding dance)

Maliket A Polka

Binoyugan

Jota Pangasinan

Tubong Kalatong (Bamboo Tube)

Last edited by pinai; 07-14-2012 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 AM

98 posts, read 234,075 times
A Rizal monument all over including Madrid? Never thought. thanks pinai and smtchll, i'm learning something new about the P.I.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Jose Rizal monument in front of Louis Weiss Memorial Hospital, Chicago Il.
Now, that's a surprise! It's a nice statue...bold looking.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 PM

yeah they're usually in Filipino areas, or areas that have something to do with Filipinos. In Madrid, it's on a street called "Avenida de Filipinas"

Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,055,205 times
I guess it is not strange to find Jose Rizal's statue in front of a hospital in Chicago where more than 40% of all nurses in the city are either from the Philippines or are Filipinos born in the US. The Filipinos in Chicago are very well integrated into the mainstream society here so there is no "Little Manila" like you find on the West Coast, They also tend to marry out of their own ethnic group more than other Asians in this area. The Filipino people also have great musical talent. In Chicago the Ponce brothers and Paul Serrano have been pillars of the Chicago jazz scene for decades. When I lived in Asia what ever five star hotel you went to the orchestra was almost always from the Philippines. They are a very talented people.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Here's a video clip that has resemblance to Mexico and Philippines connection

This is a great video, even if you can't understand Tagalog, you'll get the idea. The Philippines is even more similar to Mexico than it is to Spain. After all, it was ruled through Mexico

Old 07-14-2012, 03:53 PM

^ would you say there's a difference between "kayumanggi" and "moreno" or are they the same?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I guess it is not strange to find Jose Rizal's statue in front of a hospital in Chicago where more than 40% of all nurses in the city are either from the Philippines or are Filipinos born in the US. The Filipinos in Chicago are very well integrated into the mainstream society here so there is no "Little Manila" like you find on the West Coast, They also tend to marry out of their own ethnic group more than other Asians in this area. The Filipino people also have great musical talent. In Chicago the Ponce brothers and Paul Serrano have been pillars of the Chicago jazz scene for decades. When I lived in Asia what ever five star hotel you went to the orchestra was almost always from the Philippines. They are a very talented people.
Tom9, I agree with you.

Filipino-Americans are always in the top 3 of the most inter-racial marriages in the U.S. And yes, Filipinos tend to blend outside their group more relative to other races in the U.S. or even the world. This adds more confusion to what a pure Filipino/Filipina looks like. I just found out that one of the singers of the group Black Eyed Peas, Allan Pineda, is half Filipino born in the Philippines.

The closest 'Little Manila' I can think of in the U.S. is Daly City, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or