U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Well the whole concept of dividing the world into three races had me puzzled for the longest time.
I also don't buy the ever resounding statement "Hispanic is not a race. You can be Black or White and be Hispanic."
The same thing can be said about "Asian" and "AfricanAmerican".
You can have light eyes, light skin, fair hair, or in other words: downright White phenotypically and be AfricanAmerican.
"Asian" also covers a very wide spectrum of phenotypes. Physically you can look Black or White and be Asian.

Btw, I'm not disagreeing with you pinai. Your post only reminded me of this.
I am not actually, dividing Filipinos. I am just stating what the different kind of looks of Filipino. Because some people If they will hear the word Filipinos, mostly the 1st image that we picture is Malay looking which is majority of the Filipino population. Honestly, Specially in the US when they hear "ASIAN" the 1st image that they picture is East Asian looking. I'm just stating that Filipinos is diverse by look that it's not proper to say that a person who doesn't look majority of the Filipinos is not a Filipino. I remembered a foreign friend watched a Filipino TV Series and he saw some of our actors saying "they don't look like a Filipino" so I started asking "why? what do a Filipino looks like?"

Those actors that he saw was not even half filipinos and that they were born in the Philippines from a mestizo descendants. I also read comments to our fellow Filipinos that if a mestiza looking filipina representing the Philippines they will tell "oh She's not a pure Filipino, they should choose a pure Filipina". Because they always forget that Filipino is a nationality. I guess the only pure native that I can say is Aeta, Agta, Mamanwa etc who hardly intermarried to other Filipinos.

I saw one video on youtube regarding Asian eyes posted on Maybeline website. She took a video on the website showing different shape of the eyes instead of "Monolid Eye Shape" they put "Asian Eyes" so she reacted because there is also an illustration photo of an Asian Eyes & We all know that there are different kind of "Asian" eyes. They put round eyes, big eyes to other choices but they add asian eyes, etc in what type of eyes you have. People think that all "Asians" belong to a mongoloid race. It's annoying sometimes cause we get stereotype. I don't say that I'm not proud of being an Asian, the only thing that I don't like people try to put Asian as a race instead of geographical definition of people located in Asia or those who have roots in Asia. I'm sure a lot of Asian feel the same way with stereotyping.

Last edited by pinai; 07-14-2012 at 10:23 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 PM

this is the video I am saying regarding "Asian Eyes", I guess Maybelline received a lot of complain so they changed it.
What can you say about stereotyping?

Last edited by pinai; 07-15-2012 at 12:08 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,054,958 times
The wis interesting about the term Chinita depending on where you are. When we lived inn Madrid My wife who is Japanese and her business partner who was a Korean Japanese went nuts when people said to them, "Hola Chinita." and immediately explained that they were Japanese and Korean. Only to be answered "Pues que bien Chinita." Finally someone explained ti the word is often a complement to a woman with almond shaped eyes which are highly prized there as a feature of beauty.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
The wis interesting about the term Chinita depending on where you are. When we lived inn Madrid My wife who is Japanese and her business partner who was a Korean Japanese went nuts when people said to them, "Hola Chinita." and immediately explained that they were Japanese and Korean. Only to be answered "Pues que bien Chinita." Finally someone explained ti the word is often a complement to a woman with almond shaped eyes which are highly prized there as a feature of beauty.
Yeah, I heard about that lol well I understand them though. But in the Philippines it is not offensive term. I guess we have to be careful using this term if we meet a non-Filipino with monolid eye shape.

Last edited by pinai; 07-15-2012 at 01:29 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
This is a great video, even if you can't understand Tagalog, you'll get the idea. The Philippines is even more similar to Mexico than it is to Spain. After all, it was ruled through Mexico
I guess it's easy for us to adjust in mexico, the only difference is the language barrier to communicate lol
2 of my cousins married to mexicans. I guess because of culture and other similarities.

Last edited by pinai; 07-15-2012 at 02:03 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM

833 posts, read 556,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Islam & Hindu was also imported in the Philippines from earlier migration in the Philippines. some of the earlier settler of the Philippines religion is Hindu & Animist. Islam was brought in by middle easterners.

I guess the worst invader that came to the Philippines I think was the Japanese empire army during WWII. A lot of our elders struggled as comfort women, they get abused and raped, the reason why the Japanese came in to the Philippines was because the US Naval bases was inside the Philippines territory & that we were under the US colony at that time. Japanese enemy at that time was the United States. I guess I couldn't blame it to Spain all the bad things happened in the Philippines, today the enemy of the Filipinos are those corrupt Filipino officials working in the government.

I would'nt blame it entirely on those corrupt filipino officials, afterall, someone had to vote those idiots in!... It's non other than the idiots (population) who did.

If the people are getting shafted like no tomorrow, its because the same zombies who kept breeding like tomorrow put them there.

As for religion, there is no other that has controlled and manipulated the population more than the christian faith, look at how ridiculous and out of control the population boom is, people are not allowed to practice safe sex either by rubber or the pill. Multiple births per couple who live well below the poverty line living in desease infested squater areas. Where are your gods and the holy mary to answer so many prayers and hopes that is all but spent??

Another pathetic way of controlling the population is have them glued to their tv's all day long watching tear jerking drama crap all year long.

There was ONCE upon a time, we WERE somebody in asia, long ago when Marcos was around, but thats another story.

The only thing that keeps that foresaken country alive are remittence money coming from overseas. Pityful if you ask me. And yes, time to seek out a leader and a government who are not influenced by money or greed. You can start by rounding up all the elites and feed them to some shark infested water.
Have a president/ goverment officials who would be willing to work for nothing only food/ travelling expenses paid for, cut off and separating church from state rules. etc etc..

Old 07-16-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
I would'nt blame it entirely on those corrupt filipino officials, afterall, someone had to vote those idiots in!... It's non other than the idiots (population) who did.

If the people are getting shafted like no tomorrow, its because the same zombies who kept breeding like tomorrow put them there.

As for religion, there is no other that has controlled and manipulated the population more than the christian faith, look at how ridiculous and out of control the population boom is, people are not allowed to practice safe sex either by rubber or the pill. Multiple births per couple who live well below the poverty line living in desease infested squater areas. Where are your gods and the holy mary to answer so many prayers and hopes that is all but spent??

Another pathetic way of controlling the population is have them glued to their tv's all day long watching tear jerking drama crap all year long.

There was ONCE upon a time, we WERE somebody in asia, long ago when Marcos was around, but thats another story.

The only thing that keeps that foresaken country alive are remittence money coming from overseas. Pityful if you ask me. And yes, time to seek out a leader and a government who are not influenced by money or greed. You can start by rounding up all the elites and feed them to some shark infested water.
Have a president/ goverment officials who would be willing to work for nothing only food/ travelling expenses paid for, cut off and separating church from state rules. etc etc..
most of these people are those poor Filipinos, they are selling their votes sometimes they just exchange their votes for short-term food. They are sometimes the opposite of the hard-working Filipinos, They are just waiting for people to give them food instead of find a job for a living. Nothing is impossible for someone who works hard. There are some lazy fellow countrymen.

I don't think we should blame it all to the church, it's also these people, they should know self descipline lol. I am sure they know that they can't afford to have a child but they still continue to have more kids because they don't have jobs. they stuck in the house all day long, waiting for some grace and kids ended up begging for food etc. I really hate it cause when I was in college in Manila I always pass and see these type of people. I pity the kids cause they are the one that usually suffer.

I'm a catholic but I am Pro-RH Bill

Last edited by pinai; 07-16-2012 at 02:30 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 AM

Filipino (Amerasians) - I guess it's better to just drop the
Amersians just Filipino. Some are just stupid using Filipino
as a race not nationality.

If you are born there then you have Jus Soli (Right of Soil) except those
who has both foreign parents but they now allow naturalization & then
If your parent or one of your parent is a native Filipino then you have
Jus Sanguinis (Right of Blood) to become a Filipino.

Last edited by pinai; 07-16-2012 at 04:57 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 AM

Bayanihan Cultural Dancers of the Philippines

Last edited by pinai; 07-18-2012 at 02:36 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
°Many of the Philippines have Spanish surnames

°Philippine languages are replete with Spanish words

°Philippine cultures in general seem to be more "Latin" compared to other Asian nations.
majority of the people in the Philippines does not know what a hispanic is let alone claim they are one

before I came to America I did not know Latin America even existed....

this is hilarious identifying a nation to a group that they know nothing about

Philippine culture is actually more "SEAsian" then Latin if you ever been there

Even the mostly spanish blooded elite in the Philippines dont speak spanish anymore...its english and mandarin

many filipino may claim they have spanish blood(which isnt true most of the time)
but in a nutshell its just a facade...filipinos culturally truly are SEAsian
genetically they are in between SEAsian and East asian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or