U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,418 times

Advertisements

Most of the Philippine presidents and heroes are of mixed heritage.

Jose Rizal was primarily Fujianese-Tagalog with traces of Spanish, Japanese, and Pangasinan in his lineage.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nqbINfvC9Y...0/DSC_7072.jpg

Manuel L. Quezon y Molina's mother was a Spanish mestiza and his father was a Chinese mestizo. Quezon looked very European.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...0px-Quezon.jpg

Emilio Aguinaldo was Fujianese-Tagalog.
http://www.kqed.org/w/pacificlink/hi...-aguinaldo.jpg

Andres Bonifacio was Spanish-Tagalog.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Bonifacio.jpg

Sergio Osmeña was Fujianese-Cebuano-Spanish
http://s3.amazonaws.com/picable/2010...Osmena_400.jpg

Ferdinand Marcos was Fujianese-Japanese-Ilocano.
http://www.notablebiographies.com/im...07_img0460.jpg

Corazon Aquino is Fujianese-Kapampangan.
http://web02.gonzaga.edu/orgl/mentor...aquino_pic.gif

Gabriela Silang is Spanish-Ilocana
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TRrb9epzTD...ela+silang.jpg

Jose Fortich Ozamiz is Spanish - Cebuano
Ozamiz City - Senator and National Hero
http://ozamizcity.com/ozamizjosesenator03272001.jpg

Even Lapu-Lapu

Ilustrados are Filipinos of mixed heritage of (Indio, Insulares (Spaniard born in Philippines), Mestizos (Sangley or Spanish) etc.)
They are the educated middle class and upper class Filipinos who wanted equal treatment from Peninsulares (Spaniard born in Spain).

Here are some of photos of other Filipino Ilustrados
http://myrizal150.com/2011/06/friends-of-rizal/

Last edited by pinai; 07-22-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 01:29 AM

13 posts, read 17,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Even Manuel Quezon who implemented the Tagalog Language don't want the spanish language to remove and he kept it as one of the official language during his term. I guess to be fair to other ethnic languages - all dialects should consider national language. Use English and Spanish as official language.

He only use 2 official languages - English and Spanish
then people voted for tagalog to all the dialects in the Philippines to considered as national

Declare all the dialects as national
bring back spanish as one of the official aside from english
like before.

The father of National Language (Tagalog) of the Philippines
Manuel Luis Molina Quezon

Manuel L. Quezon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes! by the People but only by the Tagalog People.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
This is actually an argument on some other sites. Some says Latino or Hispanic is not a race & it's broadly used to refer to the culture, people, or nations with historically link to Spain. I read there are some who are not actually a Spanish descent but their culture is Hispanic because they speak Spanish & follow the Hispanic culture and tradition. Same with those Indigenous people of Latin America. They don't look Spaniards physically but culturally speak Spanish, practice the Hispanic Culture & tradition including their indigenous side.
Not all Hispanic countries are Spanish descent. Some are Chinese descent, other European descent, etc.

What we have in the Philippines. there are some that we really practice as part of Hispanic Culture. But we cannot generally say that the whole Philippines is Hispanic that is why I voted Semi-Hispanic. I'm not blind not to see that as we do practice it too. Mestizo descendants represent racially side of Hispanic, There are some Hispanic Culture in the Philippines who adapted & accepted the Hispanic Culture & Tradition but added their Indigenous side or their native ethnic side that is why it is unique. Same with other Latin American countries. I don't think they just focus on Hispanic side only.

Tinikling for example we do used the "Banduria & Rondalla" for the background music but then we used the bamboo stick & the dance from our Malay side. "Banduria and Rondalla" is the music instrument brought by the Spaniards in the Philippines which we adapted and even invented a 14 String Bandurria as our own music instruments.

Left side : Philippine Bandurria / Right Side: Spanish Bandurria

If people say it's just an influence. Check our other neighbor countries too, India influence a lot of cultures in Southeast Asia, Chinese influence some of the mainland Southeast Asia. It's just Philippines was influence by the western more than Indonesia from their Dutch Colonizer. So Philippines is not just the country that has influenced by other nations. Because if we based it in language only, Because if a person speak English like Americans are they considered as "British?" because they speak the language originated from the Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain by Germanic invaders not all Americans are British descent nor the Hispanic/Latin American countries as Spanish descent it's their colonizer language.

we have a group on facebook, blogger with the Title "Los Filipinos Son Hispanos y Latinos" in this group Filipinos and latin People alike believes that we Filipinos are Hispanos and Latinos. same also on the other facebook named Circulo Hispano Filipino.... we have also another facebook group called Filipinos are not Hispanic nor Latinos but actually all the ADministrators are Hispanista (Pro-Hispano Filipinos) they just wanted to give the previlage to the anti-hispanista to express their selves.

in all these three group, we don't solely regards to the Spanish Language but rather with Culture or Culturally rooted our identity as Filipinos.
we further explain that the term alone Filipino is hispanno.. the name alone of our country is hispano o latino and that we can't never changed it and deny it.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
To save all dialects. I guess government should implement the Spanish and English as official language and then declare all dialects as national language & remove all Spanish loanwords in Tagalog & other dialects because Spanish and English will be official. actually, there is 5,000 Spanish loanwords in Tagalog and 3,000 plus of Austronesian. It surpass the numbers of Austronesian words & I guess to avoid mixing or using Taglish or mixing Spanish loanwords to Tagalog and other dialect in the Philippines.

Tagalog:
Upuan or Salum puwet

Spanish Loanword:
Silya

Spanish:
Silla

English:
Chair

We are using Spanish loanword than the 2nd word lol
cause the 2nd alternative doesn't sound nice but we are using the 1st one though.

the only reason why English is becoming very dominant in our country, because it is mandated by law.
if you happen also that Spanish will also be mandated by law then it will also prosper. though the Spanish Language will be facing several hindrances from the anti-Spanish Filipinos... well gues from whom? based on experience, most of these anti are tagalogs or those in the Commission on Language who really wants only Tagalog to be sole language of Filipinas. although, they are already several tagalogs who has accepted spanish the unifying language for all of us. and most of these tagalogs are member of the Circulo Hispano Filipino and Circulo Hispano Tomasiano Filipino and Los Filipinos son Hispanos y Latinos.;-)
well, i am also a member of these groups except Tomasiano Filipino.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer_Cyle View Post
the only reason why English is becoming very dominant in our country, because it is mandated by law.
if you happen also that Spanish will also be mandated by law then it will also prosper. though the Spanish Language will be facing several hindrances from the anti-Spanish Filipinos... well gues from whom? based on experience, most of these anti are tagalogs or those in the Commission on Language who really wants only Tagalog to be sole language of Filipinas. although, they are already several tagalogs who has accepted spanish the unifying language for all of us. and most of these tagalogs are member of the Circulo Hispano Filipino and Circulo Hispano Tomasiano Filipino and Los Filipinos son Hispanos y Latinos.;-)
well, i am also a member of these groups except Tomasiano Filipino.
I don't think it's only for tagalog people who are anti. Maybe because some thought tagalog is the national and it's represents us being a Filipino but I guess they didn't realized that it's just one of the dialects of the Philippines that was just implemented as national & forgot that there are other dialects too. I guess it will take time for Spanish to spread unless they'll train some Spanish teachers I am actually not against the idea cause we are using English & why not Spanish because most of our previous history, literature are written in Spanish even the declaration of Independence. I remembered my aunties when I was in gradschool they still have books of Spanish subject during their highschool days before they removed it in the curriculum. The advantage is that we can use it through International too for job like the English.

National anthem was 1st written in spanish lyrics, the flag that Andres Bonifacio raised has Spanish language "Viva! la republica Filipina! Viva!" thousand of documents too is in that language. I heard that some of the Philippines history that was originally written in Spanish was translated wrong, because Americans was the one who translated it that's why they said the US-Filipino war was never written in history book right after the 1898 US-Spanish war. Because during that time Americans are heroes for the Filipinos well according to the movie "Amigo". Based from Ilustrados, they don't ask for independence instead they asked for equal treatment from the Peninsulares at first before they excuted the 3 Filipino priest GomBurZa then that's the time the revolution started that Rizal join with Andres Bonifacio & other Ilustrados, the Friars that they sent are those who are harsh to our people & I guess some Peninsulares for bringing up racism 'cause why some of the Ilustrados from different groups like the Mestizos, Insulares and Indios were friends. There are some nice friar soldier to Rizal his friend Luis Taviel de Andrade is against the persecution of Rizal.

Here's a clip of Luis Taviel played by Filipino actor Jaime Fabregas

Last edited by pinai; 07-23-2012 at 04:51 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 AM

1,487 posts, read 2,054,958 times
If the people want the Spanish language then they should have it. BTW this year Spanish has passed English as the second most spoken language in the world so maybe adopting Spanish is not a such crazy idea.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's only for tagalog people who are anti. Maybe because some thought tagalog is the national and it's represents us being a Filipino but I guess they didn't realized that it's just one of the dialects of the Philippines that was just implemented as national & forgot that there are other dialects too. I guess it will take time for Spanish to spread unless they'll train some Spanish teachers I am actually not against the idea cause we are using English & why not Spanish because most of our previous history, literature are written in Spanish even the declaration of Independence. I remembered my aunties when I was in gradschool they still have books of Spanish subject during their highschool days before they removed it in the curriculum. The advantage is that we can use it through International too for job like the English.

National anthem was 1st written in spanish lyrics, the flag that Andres Bonifacio raised has Spanish language "Viva! la republica Filipina! Viva!" thousand of documents too is in that language. I heard that some of the Philippines history that was originally written in Spanish was translated wrong, because Americans was the one who translated it that's why they said the US-Filipino war was never written in history book right after the 1898 US-Spanish war. Because during that time Americans are heroes for the Filipinos well according to the movie "Amigo". Based from Ilustrados, they don't ask for independence instead they asked for equal treatment from the Peninsulares at first before they excuted the 3 Filipino priest GomBurZa then that's the time the revolution started that Rizal join with Andres Bonifacio & other Ilustrados, the Friars that they sent are those who are harsh to our people & I guess some Peninsulares for bringing up racism 'cause why some of the Ilustrados from different groups like the Mestizos, Insulares and Indios were friends. There are some nice friar soldier to Rizal his friend Luis Taviel de Andrade is against the persecution of Rizal.

Here's a clip of Luis Taviel played by Filipino actor Jaime Fabregas

i think, i have happen to read this book regarding "What was really they want is not independence but rather equality towards the people of Filipinas at that time. equally treatment as both Spanish Citizens of Spain."

well, i can't blame too... our History Books are full of ****s. and for us to be educated in our history is for us to self study and/or to be in a group who're studying the correct and precise history of our country.

further thereto, making Spanish as Official language but not removing English, instead both English should be promoted.

Official Language: Filipino Spanish
Co-Official: English
National Language: All Filipino LanguaGES.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,423,178 times
Just to share personal experience, my dad is from the Visayan island of Negros, and he and his side of the family look unmistakably East Asian. I've been mistaken by many fellow Filipino Americans as Chinese myself.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 PM

341 posts, read 811,449 times
They certainly aren't a part of the East Asian group, nor do they share anything in common.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:43 AM

341 posts, read 557,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
°Many of the Philippines have Spanish surnames

°Philippine languages are replete with Spanish words

°Philippine cultures in general seem to be more "Latin" compared to other Asian nations.
Do you consider the USA people Hispanic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or