U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2012, 03:30 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I wasn't saying that Ilocanos were particularly dark. Unlike Ejay, I don't believe that large ethnic groups have particular looks. I believe that they are diverse just like all other major Filipino ethnic groups. What I was trying to explain is that Filipino-Americans are generally more Mongoloid than Filipinos in the Philippines because the Philippines unfortunately has a racial hierarchy with Mongoloid Filipinos (especially Chinese-descent) at the top. So with that, they usually have more opportunities in life and are able to emigrate to the US.

I was saying that a lot of poorer (and darker) Ilocanos & Pampangans break that trend and have emigrated to the US, maybe because they had closer access to the military bases in Clark & Olongapo. I've known large extended families that were poor in the Philippines but because one family member joined the US military, they had that connection to the US and eventually they were all able to emigrate.

But yes, I realize that many people are able to work their way up. I mean, the president of the Philippines is a very Australoid-looking man, who came from humble roots

seek and find bazaar: Abba Krishna And Happy Funerals With Good Eats

But I think for the most part, the racial hierarchy still exists in the Philippines.
A lot of Ilocanos was sent in Hawaii to work in plantation during the American era. lol Hawaii is like a mini Ilocos region in the US because of the vast migration of Ilocanos there. Ilocanos are proud of their color

Ilocano wedding dance "Dallot"

Last edited by pinai; 07-28-2012 at 04:14 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM

55 posts, read 87,687 times
Quote:
I wasn't saying that Ilocanos were particularly dark. Unlike Ejay, I don't believe that large ethnic groups have particular looks. I believe that they are diverse just like all other major Filipino ethnic groups. What I was trying to explain is that Filipino-Americans are generally more Mongoloid than Filipinos in the Philippines because the Philippines unfortunately has a racial hierarchy with Mongoloid Filipinos (especially Chinese-descent) at the top. So with that, they usually have more opportunities in life and are able to emigrate to the US.

I was saying that a lot of poorer (and darker) Ilocanos & Pampangans break that trend and have emigrated to the US, maybe because they had closer access to the military bases in Clark & Olongapo. I've known large extended families that were poor in the Philippines but because one family member joined the US military, they had that connection to the US and eventually they were all able to emigrate.

But yes, I realize that many people are able to work their way up. I mean, the president of the Philippines is a very Australoid-looking man, who came from humble roots
Maybe the words "Australoid" and "Mongoloid" bother you, but it's more PC than saying "Negrito" and "Asiatic to describe Filipinos.
I would tend to agree with you for the most part if you are talking about Iloncanos of Hawaii as far as physical apperance is concern but I can't speak for Ilocanos on the mainland in general, but have met and know a lot of Pampanguenos in the Midwest that are not from poor backgrounds and are not dark at all. Most of whom I've met where either engineers,nurses,doctors and accountants. Just doing a quick eye test based on phenotype, I went to one of their Circulo Kapampangan festival ball, and I would say only 25% were darker than your average Pampangueno and that is being generous. I think it depends on your experience and the people you may have associated with.

I don't think that is the President of the Philippines unless there was a coup d'etat, hee,hee. Vice President maybe.

I've heard the "mongoloid" term is offensive too, it's too close to the term mongolism for down syndrome.

I think the look you refer too, maybe regional, such as Hawaii with a high concentration of Ilocanos. The one's I've encountered in Hawaii where very dark but at the same time, these people also worked in the sugar cane and pineapple fields. I've met some that were complete opposite so it can be hard to generalize sometimes.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelquefois View Post
I would tend to agree with you for the most part if you are talking about Iloncanos of Hawaii as far as physical apperance is concern but I can't speak for Ilocanos on the mainland in general, but have met and know a lot of Pampanguenos in the Midwest that are not from poor backgrounds and are not dark at all. Most of whom I've met where either engineers,nurses,doctors and accountants. Just doing a quick eye test based on phenotype, I went to one of their Circulo Kapampangan festival ball, and I would say only 25% were darker than your average Pampangueno and that is being generous. I think it depends on your experience and the people you may have associated with.

I don't think that is the President of the Philippines unless there was a coup d'etat, hee,hee. Vice President maybe.

I've heard the "mongoloid" term is offensive too, it's too close to the term mongolism for down syndrome.

I think the look you refer too, maybe regional, such as Hawaii with a high concentration of Ilocanos. The one's I've encountered in Hawaii where very dark but at the same time, these people also worked in the sugar cane and pineapple fields. I've met some that were complete opposite so it can be hard to generalize sometimes.
A lot of wealthy Ilocanos & Pampangans come to the US, but what I was saying is a lot of poorer ones have come as well, maybe because of the US military connection. I'm just guessing. Whereas with other ethnic group, it's usually only the well-off people who were able to immigrate here.

And that's the VICE president, sorry.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 PM

985 posts, read 3,264,322 times
Question Australoid - Austronesian - Negrito

Quote:

But I think for the most part, the racial hierarchy still exists in the Philippines.

So when we talk about race, we're xenophobic and have an inferiority complex? Are we not allowed to discuss race in the Philippines like people do in other countries? Americans discuss race issues in the US all the time. In the Philippines, we had 2 distinct races (3 if you count the Spanish) that blended together over time. To this day, whichever race you are more of generally coincides with your social status. It's like that in the US as well. Maybe the words "Australoid" and "Mongoloid" bother you, but it's more PC than saying "Negrito" and "Asiatic to describe Filipinos.
I probably have mentioned this sometime earlier in the thread, but I got the impression that you guys use Australoid, Austronesian and Negrito interchangeably?

In my personal understanding, Australoid describes those who look like Australian Aborigines. Maybe that's why you also call it Negrito?

Austronesian on the other hand corresponds more to the phenotypes these folks in the video show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post

So to the question "Are Philippines .. ?", one can answer:
Pacific Islander ~ Yes
Asian ~ Yes
Hispanic ~ [see poll options ]

Some of the pictures you guys showed and called Australoid look more like Austronesian than Australoid to me, though it's really difficult to draw lines anyway since there is no abrupt change from one race to another and siblings having different "races" is far from rare.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I probably have mentioned this sometime earlier in the thread, but I got the impression that you guys use Australoid, Austronesian and Negrito interchangeably?

In my personal understanding, Australoid describes those who look like Australian Aborigines. Maybe that's why you also call it Negrito?

Austronesian on the other hand corresponds more to the phenotypes these folks in the video show.

Some of the pictures you guys showed and called Australoid look more like Austronesian than Australoid to me, though it's really difficult to draw lines anyway since there is no abrupt change from one race to another and siblings having different "races" is far from rare.
Australoid= Negrito, Australian Aborigine, Melanesian, Papuan, etc. They were the original inhabitants of the region, long before anyone else came. As far as I know, the Negritos were the main Australoid group in the Philippines, though there may have been others.

Austronesian is a cultural/linguistic term. They came from the Taiwanese Aborigines, then spread into the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and eventually Polynesia and Micronesia. Austronesians themselves are Mongoloid & Australoid. They started off as Mongoloids from Mainland Asia, but they mixed with all the Australoid groups that were already in the islands (Negritos in the Philippines, Indonesia, and Malaysia; Papuans in Papua)

And some of the pics that are posted for Australoid aren't full Australoid, of course, they're just examples of Filipinos who look more Australoid than Mongoloid. A full Australoid in the Philippines would look African.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:47 AM

We Are One Filipino

Last edited by pinai; 07-29-2012 at 02:01 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 AM

985 posts, read 3,264,322 times
Well we have to admit that there is a certain phenotypical similarity that Austronesians share.
I've noticed even as a kid that Polynesians look similar to us. Later on, I was quite surprised to see how Malagasy people do too.

I mentioned the difficulty of drawing lines between the races.
Serious observers who created racial classifications have differed in their way of groupings and I am aware that all sorts of classifications will always be approximations because we humans mix in all sorts of directions.

I personally think saying that we Austronesians are simply a mix of mongoloid and australoid is overly simplified.
Just like the assumption that all of us humans come from three races: negroid, caucasoid and mongoloid, and that everything else is just a mix of any of those.

I have a problem with that because it makes us think as if there was a mongoloid set of Adam & Eve somewhere in China, a caucasoid Adam & Eve somewhere in Europe, and a negroid one in Africa. That they stayed put there for thousands of years with the area in the middle, like West Asia, empty before they then started to mix.
We know human migrations have not been like that.

I actually think what we'd call Negritos in southern Philippines were different from Negritos in Malaya, which on the other hand were different from those in Java, even before the so called mongoloids came from the north.
The picture of mongoloids coming from the north also suggests as if there were no migrations from the west, by that I mean from today's South and West Asia.
An australoid-mongoloid dichotomy is way to simplistic for me. But that's just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,425,182 times
I just remembered that my grandpa was also in the Philippine Army. I wonder if that was/is common among the men in that town.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No. They are located in Asia and they are Asian.

They also speak the most annoying brand of English ("don't spill you prench pries in my Pirebird!") and need accent reduction classes real badly!
Hispanic isn't attached to a particular place, it's a cultural label. Filipinos have a culture that is semi-Hispanic. And Asian is an idiotic label. Israel, Kazakhstan, and Cambodia are all in Asia, so they're all Asians and culturally similar right?

And English was forced onto Filipinos. You expect them to be able to speak a completely foreign language just like Americans do? That last part was very ignorant. I'm sure you pronounce everything just like the Queen.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I just remembered that my grandpa was also in the Philippine Army. I wonder if that was/is common among the men in that town.
I don't know either haha... I remembered my grandma always tell us that they sent my grandpa in Vietnam. They always sent him too in Mindanao. His other co-army usually come to our house and they call each other "classmates" He never learnt to speak my grandma's dialect. So we have to talk to him in tagalog all the time.

Last edited by pinai; 07-29-2012 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or