Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,981,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Hispanic isn't attached to a particular place, it's a cultural label. Filipinos have a culture that is semi-Hispanic. And Asian is an idiotic label. Israel, Kazakhstan, and Cambodia are all in Asia, so they're all Asians and culturally similar right?

And English was forced onto Filipinos. You expect them to be able to speak a completely foreign language just like Americans do? That last part was very ignorant. I'm sure you pronounce everything just like the Queen.
both spanish and english are foreign languages to philippines

so ironic that you are harsh on american influence to the philippines but so accepeting of spanish influence
let me guess without the spanish you would be butt naked somewhere swinging from a tree?? this is the stories that so many tagalogs tell me

uknown to most people small kingdoms and civilizations where sprouting up in mindanao/sulu/and visayas before the arrival of europeans...

Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,694,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
both spanish and english are foreign languages to philippines

so ironic that you are harsh on american influence to the philippines but so accepeting of spanish influence
Uhhhhh I was replying to the guy who was making fun of Filipinos when they speak English. He didn't say anything about Spanish. Unlike you, I don't like to blab on and on about irrelevant crap. I don't care if Filipinos speak English, people just need to realize that they didn't choose to speak it, so don't expect them to speak it perfectly.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Uhhhhh I was replying to the guy who was making fun of Filipinos when they speak English. He didn't say anything about Spanish. Unlike you, I don't like to blab on and on about irrelevant crap. I don't care if Filipinos speak English, people just need to realize that they didn't choose to speak it, so don't expect them to speak it perfectly.
filipinos are most proud about their english language proficiency ironically

Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
filipinos are most proud about their english language proficiency ironically
But they don't have the same accent as Americans (which is the point that he was trying to make) But then again, Americans don't have a British accent, and Americans in different regions don't share the same accent. So it's foolish to hate on an accent and make it seem like Filipino-English is somehow incorrect.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
But they don't have the same accent as Americans (which is the point that he was trying to make) But then again, Americans don't have a British accent, and Americans in different regions don't share the same accent. So it's foolish to hate on an accent and make it seem like Filipino-English is somehow incorrect.
yea but americans from differen regions dont replace fs with ps

you still dont get it....thats wrong

Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 PM

if Philippines adopts spanish as the national language...it would be better if visayas and mindanao just part ways with corrupt manila region

Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 PM

1,760 posts, read 8,085,158 times
Quote:
English is not our first language so I guess people who used English as their 1st language think that we should speak with American or British accent lol anyone who has different language or dialect will always have an accent. It's a plus point if you speak a foreign language without an accent.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
yea but americans from differen regions dont replace fs with ps

you still dont get it....thats wrong
A lot of British people say "fink" for "think"

British people don't pronounce "R" in many places. It can sound more like "uh"

A lot of American pronounce "pen" and "pin" the exact same way

Most Americans say "caught" and "cot" the same way

English is not a phonetic language so it's varied all over. Dont just blame the Filipinos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
English is not our first language so I guess people who used English as their 1st language think that we should speak with American or British accent lol anyone who has different language or dialect will always have an accent. It's a plus point if you speak a foreign language without an accent.
Everyone who speaks English has an accent. You can't speak a language without an accent. If a British person came to where I live, they would say that the people here dont speak English the correct way, even though it's in America and they're native speakers

Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 PM

1,760 posts, read 8,085,158 times
Quote:
Everyone who speaks English has an accent. You can't speak a language without an accent. If a British person came to where I live, they would say that the people here dont speak English the correct way, even though it's in America and they're native speakers
British, Scottish, Australian and American English. I noticed East and West Coast in the US had different accent too. I noticed from my cousins. 1 live in the East Coast Virginia and the other one in California. The other one in Virginia sounds like Black American, He is Filipino but was born and raised to that area. I guess it depends in your environment?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
British, Scottish, Australian and American English. I noticed East and West Coast in the US had different accent too.
The Northeast has an accent, and even there, Boston sounds different from New York. The Midwest has an accent, and even there, Minneapolis, Chicago, and Kansas City sound completely different. The South has an accent, but New Orleans doesn't sound anything like Nashville. Out West, they have an accent, but it's closer to what most people would call "General American accent" Point is, even Americans have different accents. We cant say that one is more correct than another, they just developed over time. It's hypocritical to say that Filipinos have the "wrong accent" when Americans don't speak like Brits, and Americans in different regions have completely different accents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia