U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2009, 07:47 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times

Advertisements

I consider them more Asian than Hispanic.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 PM

2,881 posts, read 4,615,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Also, while it is true that Tagalog/Filipino has many Spanish loanwords (mostly for nouns and objects that didn't exist before modern times), they are very different languages.

Here; try reading the first paragraph of Jose Rizal's novel "Noli Me Tangere," from 1887:

There are some Spanish loanwords in there, but it is very, very far from the Spanish language as a whole.
Linguistic roots are a most telling indicator of basic ethnic identity. (Even racial identity, in the sense that linguistic mapping correlates strongly with the global map of genotypes. Communication leads to, er, touching, after all.) Tagalog, along with the hundreds of other dialects spoken in the Philippines, is related to Javanese, Malay and Paiwan (in Taiwan). Filipinos are definitely Asian.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,214,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
African?
Yes, some are of African descent..
Look up the word Negrito.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:28 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,201,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
Yes, some are of African descent..
Look up the word Negrito.
Negritos: highly debatable.

Yes, they look more African than many, as do the Abos, but mitochodrial DNA and Y-chromies have produced NADA

Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,654,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontyoulookatme View Post
are french canadians latino than?
no because they are not in or from latin america.

haitians are latino because the country is located in latin america and french is a latin language. the entire island is called hispaniola, by the way...iirc, the whole island was controlled by the domincans at one point.

haitians are not hispanic, however, because they don't speak spanish (generalization. i'm sure a few that border hop/live near the border speak both languages).

your "typical" haitian will probably not refer to him/herself as a latino because latino to many ppl in the u.s. (and outside) is a race. of course it isn't true, but americans and many latinos/hispanic ppl are ignorant on the entire subject. its muddy water.

also, there is a stigma behind being black in latin america...thats another subject tho.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:26 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any citizens of a country where Catholicism/Christianity was "forced" upon the conquered land, to me, will never truly be Christians or Catholics.

I work with any number of Philipino's and I see right through their Christian talk and see a Bhuddist that will never die.

The same with Mexicans. I see right through them.

I spent 12 years in Catholic parochial schools and I know a Catholic when I see them.

And it even makes me wonder about my ancestral religions, and how much influence they are having on me to this day.

Wow, that's pretty narrowminded AND ignorant. (Not all asians or southeast asians are buddhists) Christianity was forced upon most of the ancestors of Christians in the world today, either by force or economic factors, or deceit. Filipinos today who are CATHOLIC or CHRISTIAN were born well after the fact that the Spanish had coercively proselytized the islands. They are willing christians who reject most animist or east asian beliefs.

That being said, I think the Phillippines does fall into a somewhat Hispanic category. They watch Mexican novelas (I was floored to learn that!). Their names are Spanish. Many of their words are Spanish (days of the week, numbers, etc). And they also have many unfortunate similarities with LatinAmerican countries rather than Asian countries (legacy of our wonderful motherland Spain): totalitarian dictators, coups, massive corruption within the government, slow economic growth, massive emigration to wealthier nations, kidnappings, etc.

If a filipino doesn't want to be considered Hispanic, cool. But if a filipino says, "I am hispanic" I'll say, "wassup hermano!"

Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has reinstated Spanish as one of the official languages of the Philippines, btw.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:05 PM

492 posts, read 1,018,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Wow, that's pretty narrowminded AND ignorant. (Not all asians or southeast asians are buddhists) Christianity was forced upon most of the ancestors of Christians in the world today, either by force or economic factors, or deceit. Filipinos today who are CATHOLIC or CHRISTIAN were born well after the fact that the Spanish had coercively proselytized the islands. They are willing christians who reject most animist or east asian beliefs.

That being said, I think the Phillippines does fall into a somewhat Hispanic category. They watch Mexican novelas (I was floored to learn that!). Their names are Spanish. Many of their words are Spanish (days of the week, numbers, etc). And they also have many unfortunate similarities with LatinAmerican countries rather than Asian countries (legacy of our wonderful motherland Spain): totalitarian dictators, coups, massive corruption within the government, slow economic growth, massive emigration to wealthier nations, kidnappings, etc.

If a filipino doesn't want to be considered Hispanic, cool. But if a filipino says, "I am hispanic" I'll say, "wassup hermano!"

Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has reinstated Spanish as one of the official languages of the Philippines, btw.
I agree with you 100%..That's what I tried to say earlier on this thread. Too bad most people here lack so much awareness.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:12 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Some of this makes sense. Although "coups, corruption, dictators, and emigration" can describe several countries in Southeast Asia. Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam are very far from free societies. Indonesia had one of the most embezzling and corrupt dictators in history. Plenty of other kinds of Southeast Asians migrate.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:36 PM

61 posts, read 190,029 times
They are Asian.

Filipino Americans in California call themselves Pacific Islander for some reason when REAL Pacific Islanders like Samoans and Tongans do not consider them P.I.'s

They are South East Asians. Racially identical to the Malay race that live in Malaysia and Indonesia but have Spanish influence due to their colonization. Their language structure and language overall is close to the Bahasa language spoken in Malaysia and Indonesia. Before the Spanish colonized the Philippines, it's culture was similar to that of the kingdom of Srivijaya which was centered in Sumatra and stretched to the island of Visaya (Visaya = Srivijaya)...

Long story short... Filipinos are Asians with Hispanic influences...

Are Indonesians considered Arab because they are highly influenced by Muslim culture? Obviously not.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:43 PM

985 posts, read 3,262,094 times
Default bahasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPI View Post
Their language structure and language overall is close to the Bahasa language spoken in Malaysia and Indonesia.
Bahasa language = Language language
Because
bahasa = language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or