U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,892 times

Advertisements

Philippines is part of the Ibero-American Summit as Associate Member. It's nice to see Philippines as part of almost
all continent organization. ASEAN, East Asia Summit, Asia-Pacific, Latin Union and Ibero-American Summit. I guess this is also one of the reason why they want to re-introduce the Spanish Language in the Philippines. East Timor belongs to Southeast Asia but they still considered Portuguese language as one of the official so from all of the members. Notice, Philippines is the only member country that doesn't speak Spanish or considered Spanish as official language. So it's nice that they re-introducing the language again little by little for possible Global market & reuniting to Ibero-American.

Quote:
Member States
The first summit, held in 1991 in Guadalajara, Mexico, was attended by the governments of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, Spain, Uruguay and Venezuela. Andorra joined in 2004.[1][2][3] Equatorial Guinea and the Philippines entered in 2009 as "associate members". Puerto Rico has participated sometimes as an associate member, but as it is not a sovereign country it is not allowed to completely join the summits. Belize and East Timor have expressed their interest in joining the summits, although they have not been allowed to join for the moment. All these countries were either Spanish or Portuguese colonies (Belize and the Philippines were Spanish before belonging to the UK and the US, respectively). Other former Spanish and Portuguese colonies may join the summits in the future.

Full Members
Andorra
Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
Paraguay
Portugal
Peru
Spain
Uruguay
Venezuela

Associate member
Equatorial Guinea
Philippines
Puerto Rico

Future member
Belize
East Timor
Ibero-American Summit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by pinai; 08-02-2012 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 PM

12,589 posts, read 15,058,526 times
I say "no".

Old 08-07-2012, 10:37 PM

144 posts, read 168,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
°Many of the Philippines have Spanish surnames

°Philippine languages are replete with Spanish words

°Philippine cultures in general seem to be more "Latin" compared to other Asian nations.
I'm Filipino so the reason why our country has those above qualities is for the simple reason that we were colonized by Spain for 500 (?) years. But we definitely are not considered Hispanic. In fact our independence day was rooted from Declaration of Independence from Spain on 12 June 1898.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 AM

985 posts, read 3,262,613 times
Default lås Filipinås

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
I'm Filipino so the reason why our country has those above qualities is for the simple reason that we were colonized by Spain for 500 (?) years. But we definitely are not considered Hispanic. In fact our independence day was rooted from Declaration of Independence from Spain on 12 June 1898.
Which was in Spanish.

Hispanic countries in the Americas also had their declarations of independence from Spain.

The very fact that Filipinås call themselves Filipinås, attributed to King Philip II of Spain, and that the Philippine identity in itself wouldn't have come into existence if it wasn't for the Spanish makes it in a way Hispanic.

Each is entitled to their own opinion though, and I respect yours.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:56 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrox View Post
I guess the actual Philippine Independence should be July 4, 1946. Because after 12 June 1898 we were colonized by another country, the United States until they gave our full Independence on July 4, 1946. 1 yr after the Japanese invasion (1942-1945).

Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM

13 posts, read 17,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Just watched it. Thanks!
The language situation in the Philippines has always been one of the larger question marks for me.

to make the story short its "TAGALOG" period....

una lengua matador por matando otras lenguas Filipino del Filipinas.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:37 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,463,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer_Cyle View Post
to make the story short its "TAGALOG" period....

una lengua matador por matando otras lenguas Filipino del Filipinas.
Well technically Tagalog is the dialect of the Manila area.
The made up national language.. is Pilipino..

Right?

Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
^ Tagalog is a language. There are dialects of Tagalog, like Manileño, Batangas Tagalog, Marinduqueño, etc.

Just like Cebuano, Ilocano, Bicolano etc are distinct languages that have their own dialects

Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM

111 posts, read 241,005 times
Many native Filipino women were impregnated by Spaniards hundreds of years ago which resulted to the mestisos they have now. Philippines is a very diverse country. I can't brand all of them as Hispanics as some of them have Chinese and Indian heritages.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,325,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Many native Filipino women were impregnated by Spaniards hundreds of years ago which resulted to the mestisos they have now. Philippines is a very diverse country. I can't brand all of them as Hispanics as some of them have Chinese and Indian heritages.
Mullatos would best describe Tagalog Filipinos....spanish impregnated the native negrito women and created the filipino
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or