U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,788 times

Advertisements

Nice post, you can quote on beat excess baggage charges with the help of this link.

<a href="Low cost carrier charges">Low cost carrier charges</a>

Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
°Many of the Philippines have Spanish surnames

°Philippine languages are replete with Spanish words

°Philippine cultures in general seem to be more "Latin" compared to other Asian nations.
Yup, I would agree.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,206,374 times
culturally they seem to have heavy Spanish influence in their culture , religion, music, traditions, holidays, etc

if you have ever been to filipino parties, you can see , hear and feel the Spanish culture

culturally they are very similiar to Hispanic

but ethnically they are different people, racially closer to Malay people

Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
culturally they seem to have heavy Spanish influence in their culture , religion, music, traditions, holidays, etc

if you have ever been to filipino parties, you can see , hear and feel the Spanish culture

culturally they are very similiar to Hispanic

but ethnically they are different people, racially closer to Malay people
yeah, when I was growing up, I used to think that this was a Filipino song because I heard it at every Filipino party

The Todo-Todo - YouTube

Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah, when I was growing up, I used to think that this was a Filipino song because I heard it at every Filipino party

The Todo-Todo - YouTube
lol yeah that video. I remembered during our town fiesta I always hear this song but most of those who dance are old people LOL. I guess they like Cha-Cha and Tango

Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 PM

42 posts, read 95,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Many native Filipino women were impregnated by Spaniards hundreds of years ago which resulted to the mestisos they have now. Philippines is a very diverse country. I can't brand all of them as Hispanics as some of them have Chinese and Indian heritages.
So you think the majority are Hispanics? That doesn't even make sense. Filipinos are not Hispanics. The vast majority do not have any Spanish ancestry.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,744,030 times
No, it is very Asian.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,463,489 times
I don't understand why its proper for Filipinos to learn Spanish. A language of a country that colonized them and treated them as second class citizens. That was over 100 years ago, move on....

Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I don't understand why its proper for Filipinos to learn Spanish. A language of a country that colonized them and treated them as second class citizens. That was over 100 years ago, move on....
That's what you read on the present history after the Spanish era or during the 1st Philippine Republic, Before the Americans took the Philippines there are alot of genocide happened that was not taught in our own history book and push Filipinos to learn english instead, They brought our native in the US like Igorot and Aetas saying this is the people that they saw in the Philippines uneducated that's why they wanted to teach us English but they never show the other Filipinos who are advance like the other Ethnic group and those Filipinos wearing Filipiniana that they are already Educated and not Savages. It was also from the Americans why Filipinos got the 'Buy Stateside' mentality instead of supporting our local product. If you notice in our history. This is the reason why Filipinos hated Spanish Language because we were taught to hate Spain in our history book translated by the Americans. So if we will not learn the spanish how we will learn the history of that 400yrs. the books that we were studying some are translated but does it translated it correctly?

Philippines' Untold Genocide.wmv - YouTube

It is proper to learn Spanish because it has more connection to Filipino Identity than learning English but today we need english to communicate also to the other nationalities but Spanish need to re-introduced because of history of us Filipinos. Why? Because Filipinos forget that we have a lot of historical, Literature, Documents written in this Language and this is the Language also used by our national heroes declared on 1898 of June 12, 1st Philippine Republic.

We forget the Filipino-American War & the 1st Republic of the Philippines history, the main roots of our Independent that was grabbed by the Americans by betrayal saying Spain sold us to the Americans for 20 Million US Dollar according to them again, Rizal and other Ilustrados was not against Spain only the unequal treatment or racism first that's why there was Revolution erupted & it started during the execution of GOMBURZA (the 3 Filipino priest: They belong to 3 different group of Filipinos, Insulares, Mestizo and Indio all born in the Philippines), the reason why Filipinos asked for Independence. But never hated the Spanish Language or Spain itself. Spanish will not be our 1st official or retain until before WWII. It was just gone because they promoted English and Filipino language, that's the reason why it was gone to it's official status specially after WWII. Where a lot of Spanish Speaking people were killed too. Because in Filipinos eyes, American was again heroes like during the Spanish-American war. But Filipinos forgot the Filipino-American war & the rest of the history, why our heroes became traitors, Andres Bonifacio 'the father of revolution' was executed, Juan Luna was assassinated, Mabini was exiled in other country. Those are the questions because these are the heroes of 1st Philippine republic and were against the American Occupation.

The 1st Independent, We were not educated properly on the real history of the Philippines. Because everything was controlled by the Americans even up to this day. Notice our Official Language which is English only after the Filipino Language.

That's why the AMIGO movie came out to reveal the
history of Filipino-American war

Amigo Trailer Philippines - YouTube

Last edited by pinai; 03-24-2013 at 11:45 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
Yes, they are Asian but all Filiinos are not Catholic. Many natives of southwest Asia (espeically Vietnam) are. In our area, we have a large congregation of Catholic fathers and brothers (Carthage MO) and they are Vietnamese. In our diocese, many of the priests are Vietnamese.
The Philippines ranks no. 3 Most Catholic country in the world . No . 1 is Brasil and No. 2 is Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or