U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
this attitude will keep Philippines in mexican level for the next few hundred years
Don't think you're quite up to Mexico level yet, mate.

 
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,425 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Don't think you're quite up to Mexico level yet, mate.
we better get that crack cocaine and marijuana drug industry up and running if we ever want to catch up to Mexico
 
Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
we better get that crack cocaine and marijuana drug industry up and running if we ever want to catch up to Mexico
True true, that's one thing the Phils doesn't have to worry about...
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Reputation: 402
The Problem with other Filipino who criticize Spanish Occupation also criticize the culture that was installed to the Filipino Catholics. Saying this culture doesn't exist to the Filipinos.They criticize the culture of Filipino Catholics. Most of the Festival of the Filipinos are still connected to the Church dedicated to their patron saint. They are denying that Filipino Catholics embrace this kind of culture including the celebration of Todos Los Santos and Santacruzan or Flores de Mayo.

Pasyon or Saeta is one of the Traditional Culture of Filipino Catholics
in Filipino/Tagalog we called it Pabasa or Pasyon during Semana Santa

Saetas zamboangueñas - YouTube
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,324,425 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
The Problem with other Filipino who criticize Spanish Occupation also criticize the culture that was installed to the Filipino Catholics. Saying this culture doesn't exist to the Filipinos.They criticize the culture of Filipino Catholics. Most of the Festival of the Filipinos are still connected to the Church dedicated to their patron saint.

Pasyon or Saeta is one of the Traditional Culture of Filipino Catholics
in Filipino/Tagalog we called it Pabasa or Pasyon during Semana Santa

Saetas zamboangueñas - YouTube
I haven't gone to church in a year...and look Im still filipino
the spanish doesnt make who filipinos are...filipinos do
lol if it were the french who colonized Philippines...I bet you would be admiring the french for introducing baguettes and berets to the Philippines..and claiming filipinos wouldnt exist if it werent for the french....

insert foreign western power here for pinoys to worship and want to become

but of course...all filipinos get their features from spanish
spanish

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:55 PM..
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I haven't gone to church in a year...and look Im still filipino
the spanish doesnt make who filipinos are...filipinos do
lol if it were the french who colonized Philippines...I bet you would be admiring the french for introducing baguettes and berets to the Philippines..and claiming filipinos wouldnt exist if it werent for the french....

insert foreign western power here for pinoys to worship and want to become
I fully accepted my being Filipino. Origin of Filipino word came from who?
No matter what you say, You cannot hide the fact and history. That Spain named the Archipelago
and unite us all as a Nation that became Philippines and we became Filipinos and if you cannot accept that fact it is your problem anymore.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I haven't gone to church in a year...and look Im still filipino
the spanish doesnt make who filipinos are...filipinos do
lol if it were the french who colonized Philippines...I bet you would be admiring the french for introducing baguettes and berets to the Philippines..and claiming filipinos wouldnt exist if it werent for the french....

insert foreign western power here for pinoys to worship and want to become

but of course...all filipinos get their features from spanish
spanish

Woman over spain flag | Stock Photo © Edward Bartel #2539952

filipina
She looks like a Chinese or Vietnamese to me.. Maybe next time try to put the typical Filipino not the ones who are Chinese mixed because not everyone has Chinky eyes like this
 
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I haven't gone to church in a year...and look Im still filipino
the spanish doesnt make who filipinos are...filipinos do
lol if it were the french who colonized Philippines...I bet you would be admiring the french for introducing baguettes and berets to the Philippines..and claiming filipinos wouldnt exist if it werent for the french....

insert foreign western power here for pinoys to worship and want to become

but of course...all filipinos get their features from spanish
spanish

Woman over spain flag | Stock Photo © Edward Bartel #2539952

filipina
The difference between the French Colonization of Vietnam and the Spanish Colonization of the Philippines is that the French didn't really share so much their culture with the Viets.. Yes they did introduce some things but not the same as what the Spanish did to the Filipinos.. That's why among all the European colonies in Asia, the Philippines is the only one that is very noticeable. There is also an English writer from Hongkong that said that the other colonizers ( French, Dutch and English ) didn't really try to blend with the natives of their Asian colonies ( interracial marriages were really very few ) . In the Philippines, people just notice few meztisos because when the Americans came, the Spanish mixed Filipinos moved back to Spain and some in Latin America.. it made sense for them to leave because what would they be doing there when the country was already under the hands of American people ? But even if most of them left, there were still some that stayed and the Spanish meztisos in the Philippines even if they're just few now are still definitely more than other European colonies in Asia. Even in Macau that the Portuguese were there till 1998 and there are still some Portuguese left there, you don't see Portuguese meztisos there., the Portuguese didn't really get married to the Chinese people there.. And the people in Macau didn't really get the Portuguese culture.
 
Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
The difference between the French Colonization of Vietnam and the Spanish Colonization of the Philippines is that the French didn't really share so much their culture with the Viets.. Yes they did introduce some things but not the same as what the Spanish did to the Filipinos.. That's why among all the European colonies in Asia, the Philippines is the only one that is very noticeable. There is also an English writer from Hongkong that said that the other colonizers ( French, Dutch and English ) didn't really try to blend with the natives of their Asian colonies ( interracial marriages were really very few ) . In the Philippines, people just notice few meztisos because when the Americans came, the Spanish mixed Filipinos moved back to Spain and some in Latin America.. it made sense for them to leave because what would they be doing there when the country was already under the hands of American people ? But even if most of them left, there were still some that stayed and the Spanish meztisos in the Philippines even if they're just few now are still definitely more than other European colonies in Asia. Even in Macau that the Portuguese were there till 1998 and there are still some Portuguese left there, you don't see Portuguese meztisos there., the Portuguese didn't really get married to the Chinese people there.. And the people in Macau didn't really get the Portuguese culture.
It's mainly because Chinese and Vietnamese had long been unified nations with their own culture and identity, respectively.
It was not the case in the Philippines.

Also, Catholic colonists tend to mix with locals too. In North America, they just killed and killed...
 
Old 04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's mainly because Chinese and Vietnamese had long been unified nations with their own culture and identity, respectively.
It was not the case in the Philippines.

Also, Catholic colonists tend to mix with locals too. In North America, they just killed and killed...
So let us all admit that the Spanish really made a very big contribution to the Filipino culture and identity. But I should say, among other European Conquistadores, the Spanish were really the most aggressive ones to share their culture because the Indians in Latin America also had their own culture and identity but they were able to reach out to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top