U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times

Advertisements

Filipinos (and other Asians) should stop wanting to look Western and just be proud of your Asiatic heritage. You're not Hispanics, end of story, not in the way you look or culture.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,969,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Filipinos (and other Asians) should stop wanting to look Western and just be proud of your Asiatic heritage. You're not Hispanics, end of story, not in the way you look or culture.
Who says we wanted to look like western. We are proud of our Indo-Malay heritage and at the same time our hispanic heritage too, Both cultures. I am contented of the way I look.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Who says we wanted to look like western. We are proud of our Indo-Malay heritage and at the same time our hispanic heritage too, Both cultures. I am contented of the way I look.
Well more the way European mestizos are promoted as being the most beautiful etc...well I guess that's the same everywhere. I haven't been to the Phils but it seems like they to play up their European heritage.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,853,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
They have spanish surnames because the asians there adopted the Spanish surnames from the conquistadores at that time. Only 0.1% of the populace has any European Spanish blood at all. Their ethnicities are from China mainly but can derive from other Asian countries. The Spanish had a strong influence in religion, culture, and tagalog but if you are talking about race then no they are not caucasian like the Spanish were.
Ethnicity mainly from China ??? NO !!!
It is mainly Malay... Do some research, in Latin America, not everyone has the Spanish or Portuguese DNA...some are natives, Africans and Japanese but they are called Latinos or Hispanics

Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,969,348 times
Quote:
Well more the way European mestizos are promoted as being the most beautiful etc...well I guess that's the same everywhere. I haven't been to the Phils but it seems like they to play up their European heritage.
I replied from Ejay thread regarding if the lady he posted will pass as latino/hispanic. Then I explain of what I understood regarding the definition of Hispanic/Latino & then we posted a photo of a Filipino that may pass as one of the people from those country for you it means we are promoting a european mestizos? you should also know that Philippines doesn't have homogenous look of people. It doesn't mean we are promoting it, We just wanted to preserve our culture as a Filipino. Like I said, we are proud of our native and hispanic culture which we practice. We wanted to revive the other culture that is already dying because of the used of English. We Filipinos, should more concentrate on our nationalism but some are into race thing. The most important to me is my nationality not race. I love my country and I'm proud being a Filipino.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I replied from Ejay thread regarding if the lady he posted will pass as latino/hispanic. Then I explain of what I understood regarding the definition of Hispanic/Latino & then we posted a photo of a Filipino that may pass as one of the people from those country for you it means we are promoting a european mestizos? you should also know that Philippines doesn't have homogenous look of people. It doesn't mean we are promoting it, We just wanted to preserve our culture as a Filipino. Like I said, we are proud of our native and hispanic culture which we practice. We wanted to revive the other culture that is already dying because of the used of English. We Filipinos, should more concentrate on our nationalism but some are into race thing. The most important to me is my nationality not race. I love my country and I'm proud being a Filipino.
Yes that's good. I actually have a connection to the Philippines myself. I was probably conceived there, so would like to 'go back' one day lol. I don't presume to know much at all about the Philippines though so I'm just going on impressions, don't take what I say too seriously. But yeah like I said before the Philippines have elements of Hispanic culture, but are obviously not Hispanic - only the Spanish speaking countries are truly Hispanic. Brazil, for instance, is Latino but not Hispanic.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:59 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,853,759 times
Quote:
Yes that's good. I actually have a connection to the Philippines myself. I was probably conceived there, so would like to 'go back' one day lol. I don't presume to know much at all about the Philippines though so I'm just going on impressions, don't take what I say too seriously. But yeah like I said before the Philippines have elements of Hispanic culture, but are obviously not Hispanic - only the Spanish speaking countries are truly Hispanic. Brazil, for instance, is Latino but not Hispanic.
Yes we may not speak Spanish anymore but we have Spanish words. We cannot complete a Filipino sentence without a Spanish word. There is still a place in the Phippines called Zamboanga that speaks Spanish creolle . So where should they be categorized ? I just wonder what if the Americans didn't buy the Philippines from the Spanish and up to now Filipinos are still speaking Spanish and there will still be many Meztisos, so how would people categorize the Philippines and the Filipino people ? I am attaching a photo here of the Latin Union map and you will see that the Philippines is in it.

The members of the Latin Union, by language:
Spanish
French
Portuguese
Italian
Romanian
Catalan

Philippines ' colour is yellow -- it is the Colour of the Spanish speaking countries
Portuguese speaking countries are green
Attached Thumbnails
Do you consider the Philippine people Hispanic?-image.jpg  

Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM

9,537 posts, read 9,420,509 times
The Phillippines is a hodgepodge of various ethnic groups with different customs and languages. I can't see how such a nation can be governed!

Ethnic groups in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mga pangkat etniko sa Pilipinas - Wikipedia, ang malayang ensiklopedya

To call such a nation "Hispanic" is absurd. What is "Hispanic" about the Muslims in Mindanao?

And yes, there are some Filipinos of Chinese ancestry, and some may "look" more Chinese than others. I have heard they are a wealthy and powerful group.

I have met some Filipinos in my life. There is a university in my hometown where Filipino nurses take exams certifying them for practice in the U.S. They come to Mass at my church. My guess is they tend to come from a few places, not from all over the Philippines. I don't think I've met a Negrito or Muslim nurse.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,328,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The Phillippines is a hodgepodge of various ethnic groups with different customs and languages. I can't see how such a nation can be governed!

To call such a nation "Hispanic" is absurd. What is "Hispanic" about the Muslims in Mindanao?

And yes, there are some Filipinos of Chinese ancestry, and some may "look" more Chinese than others. I have heard they are a wealthy and powerful group.

I have met some Filipinos in my life. There is a university in my hometown where Filipino nurses take exams certifying them for practice in the U.S. They come to Mass at my church. My guess is they tend to come from a few places, not from all over the Philippines. I don't think I've met a Negrito or Muslim nurse.
your correct....how can you call this hodgepodge as hispanic

oh btw not every filipino who is light skin with almond shaped eyes are chinese ...many are from more recent settlers during the iron age(like western visayasn) some are children from marriages between filipinas and japanese or korean men

many of these mestizos arent even from spanish descent...some are half french, half swiss, half german, hald middle eastern and so on

Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

It's not that they come from a few places, they can come from all over, but the social classes are limited. You're not gonna see as much of the lower classes, but you'll see more of the middle and upper classes. And Negritos & Muslims are usually in the lowest classes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or