U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
omg nice one.....I needed a laugh
filipinos love to boast....
Did you read HUMBLE (good moral behavior), If you are humble you don't criticize. You do not judge. Understood. Not arrogant and You show respect. That's how our Filipino parents and grandparents brought us up to be. If you didn't grew up like that then sorry then you should learn the true Filipino values.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I condemn those bad things that happened through the occupation but there are so many good things that they contributed too that until this day we are still appreciating it.
the only good thing that spain contributed was preventing us from becoming an islamic state.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
Would it not make more sense in today's gloabalised world to make the Philippines a Spanish speaking hub in Asia
No. it's just a waste of time.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:04 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,852,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booksale View Post
the only good thing that spain contributed was preventing us from becoming an islamic state.
They united Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao, maybe if they didn't come Luzon could have been possibly taken by Taiwan or China, Visayas could have been taken by Malaysia, Mindanao could have been taken by Indonesia.Spain united the whole Philippines. They also contributed in our arts and literature and of course gave a big contribution in the culture that we have now, just imagine not having fiestas and other religious festivities like Semana Santa, Santacruzan and Misa de Gallo. They also gave us our names, honestly, I wouldn't be so happy if I have a native surname ( sorry but I am just being honest, native surnames do not sound as good as Spanish surnames ), foods too if not for them we wouldn't have Caldereta, Afritada, Menudo , Mechado, Picadillo and Adobo and for sure, our foods are all just going to be floating in plain water like most of our Vegetable foods, All of our foods that are in tomato sauce were all introduduced to us by Spanish people. We will not have our Pan de Sal, Pan de Leche, Empanada, Ensaimada, Mamon, Barquillos, Bizcocho etc. We will not be having our favourite Filipino goodies Polvoron, Yemas, Pastillas de Leche and our favourite Filipino dessert Leche Flan, Tocino del Cielo and Crema de Fruta. Also the Spanish words that go with our native dialects, we wont be able to finish our sentence without using Spanish words. And not to mention the Castilian architecture in the Philippines.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 04-28-2013 at 10:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
No. it's just a waste of time.
It is a waste of time for Filipinos who think that English is the only Language that exist in the world, that's why Filipinos are not multilinguals at all. Knowing more languages is always better than knowing just one.
In a few years, everyone in Asia will already be able to speak English and will possibly surpass the English proficiency of Filipinos as countries like China, Japan and Korea are really hiring native English speakers ( English and Americans ) to teach English, so there will be more Asians that will be able to speak English with good accent and pronunciation, so Filipinos will not be of any different from them. If we are able to speak another important Language spoken by 500 million people in the world and still growing because more and more non native speakers are learning Spanish as a second foreign language, Wouldn't it be our edge againts other Asians in Asia that we are able to speak 2 of the most important languages in the world ? Imagine, for them they are only able to speak English while Filipinos will be able to speak English and Spanish ... Plus, when you know Spanish, you will understand Portuguese and a little of Italian, so you see it will give you the chance of knowing more languages.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 04-28-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,609,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
It is a waste of time for Filipinos who think that English is the only Language that exist in the world, that's why Filipinos are not really multilinguals. Knowing more languages is always better than knowing just one.
In a few years, everyone in Asia will already be able to speak English and will possibly surpass the English proficiency of Filipinos as countries like China, Japan and Korea are really hiring native English speakers ( English and Americans ) to teach English, so there will be more Asians that will be able to speak English with good accent and pronunciation, so Filipinos will not be of any different from them. If we are able to speak another important Language spoken by 500 million people in the world and still growing because more and more non native speakers are learning Spanish as a second foreign language. Wouldn't it be our edge againts other Asians in Asia that we are able to speak 2 of the most important languages in the world ?
China, Korea and Japan will never reach the English proficiency of the Philippines, India, or Singapore. The reason is simple: their advanced education is not in English.
In China the textbooks on calculus, physics, psychology, sociology... are all in Chinese.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
China, Korea and Japan will never reach the English proficiency of the Philippines, India, or Singapore. The reason is simple: their advanced education is not in English.
In China the textbooks on calculus, physics, psychology, sociology... are all in Chinese.
That's why I just said possibly... But it's still the same, in a few years, more and more Asians will be able to speak English.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times
Quote:
I don't think I can change my religion. I'm happy with it cause I got peace of mind. I respect other religion on whatever they practice.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 PM

46 posts, read 44,546 times
no....

Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
To say simply say "no" is to deny that the Spanish ruled the Philippines for 333 years. Filipinos are definitely semi-Hispanic. Saying "not at all" means there was no Spanish influence at all. Hispanic isn't a race, it's a culture. The Philippines has at least a little Hispanic culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or