U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No, they're Asians.
They're located in Asia....have Asian features. That just so happened to be colonized by Spain for some time. Doesn't negate the fact that the people themselves are Asians.
Hispanic is not a race it is a culture !
Not all Latin Americans are mestizos, some are still natives, some still speak their native tongue but are still considered hispanic.

Being in Asia and have Asian physical features doesn't mean we didn't get Spanish culture and tradition. Spain among all colonisers was the most generous of all in sharing their culture to their colonies that's why even if they only had one colony in Asia, the influence that they gave is very notable and undeniable.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No, they're Asians.
They're located in Asia....have Asian features. That just so happened to be colonized by Spain for some time. Doesn't negate the fact that the people themselves are Asians.
You're using the term Asian like it's an ethnic group or race, but it's not. Asian describe the people who live on that continent

And physical features dont mean anything because we're talking about culture. Also, there are plenty of people in the Philippines who dont have what I know you're thinking of as "Asian features" but those features dont have anything to do with their culture

Old 06-18-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
yes, I think Filipinos are definitely a Hispanic people with asian ancestary

there are many different types of hispanics, in South America they have black hispanics, asian hispanics, white hispanics

same with Cuba, they also have asian hispanics of Chinese ancestery

Filipinos are also a type of hispanic mostly by culture, but they are a mixture of asian hispanic culture with a stronger influence from Spain
I definitely agree with you Mr. bolo Filipinos are hispanic in culture.
US census should have just probably categorized Filipinos as Asian Hispanics instead of calling just Asians because Filipinos have a different culture and religion , also this way there won't be so much confusion among the young generation of Filipinos who do not know their history so much.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,019,821 times
No def not.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
No def not.
Because of what ?

Do you know the history of the Philippines ? Are you familiar of the culture, food, religion in the Philippines ?

Spanish

Main articles: Spanish language#Asia-Pacific and Spanish language in the Philippines

Apart from some short-lived colonies, the Philippines was the only colony of the Spanish Empire in Asia. Hence, the Philippines is the only country in Asia that has a notable Spanish influence in culture, religion, and in language.

Today, the promotion of Spanish is mentioned in the constitution to be on a voluntary basis only. The Philippines also maintains an organisation called the Philippine Academy of the Spanish Language, which corresponds with the Royal Spanish Academy of Spain. It also maintains membership of the Latin Union because of its historical affiliation with Spain. Moreover the Philippines is a member of Hispanidad comprising all countries with Hispanic culture.

During the Presidency of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, moves were made to re-introduce the language in the curriculum.

Spanish was official in the Philippines until 1986 and it was taught as a compulsory subject until 1987.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Asia

Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,019,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Because of what ?

Do you know the history of the Philippines ? Are you familiar of the culture, food, religion in the Philippines ?

Spanish

Main articles: Spanish language#Asia-Pacific and Spanish language in the Philippines

Apart from some short-lived colonies, the Philippines was the only colony of the Spanish Empire in Asia. Hence, the Philippines is the only country in Asia that has a notable Spanish influence in culture, religion, and in language.

Today, the promotion of Spanish is mentioned in the constitution to be on a voluntary basis only. The Philippines also maintains an organisation called the Philippine Academy of the Spanish Language, which corresponds with the Royal Spanish Academy of Spain. It also maintains membership of the Latin Union because of its historical affiliation with Spain. Moreover the Philippines is a member of Hispanidad comprising all countries with Hispanic culture.

During the Presidency of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, moves were made to re-introduce the language in the curriculum.

Spanish was official in the Philippines until 1986 and it was taught as a compulsory subject until 1987.

Latin Asia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm a filipino and grew up there for 15 years (born in the US to filipino parents). Thanks for the lecture though. When i was living there we preferred to be referred as Asians. We are only spanish in colonial memory and we embrace our far east folks than our colonial past. I dont know they kept Spanish after the 1898 independence, but the Americans really did a good job of de Spanishfying the whole country. The South couldnt be touched by the Spanish because they know the muslims down there will hack them to death. Even though Spanish was compulsory it died down wayyy back after WW2. Ask plenty of baby boomer age filipinos and most aren't fluent in Spanish but remember they had it compulsory back in their elementary days. It was mostly voluntary not mandatory. The people you see that are fluent in Spanish are mostly priests. My dads early elementary days had mandatory Spanish he told me. The culture really died down after WW2 though.

Last edited by ace587; 06-20-2013 at 08:29 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
his spanic--------------------route word Spanish....There are no Spaniards in there.
Hispanic is a culture not a race

Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
I'm an filipino and grew up there for 15 years (born in the US to filipino parents). Thanks for the lecture though. When i was living there we preferred to be referred as Asians. We are only spanish in colonial memory and we embrace our far east folks than our colonial past. I dont know they kept Spanish after the 1898 independence, but the Americans really did a good job of de Spanishfying the whole country. The South couldnt be touched by the Spanish because they know the muslims down there will hack them to death. Even though Spanish was compulsory it died down wayyy back after WW2. Ask plenty of baby boomer age filipinos and most aren't fluent in Spanish but remember they had it compulsory back in their elementary days. It was mostly voluntary not mandatory. The people you see that are fluent in Spanish are mostly priests. My dads early elementary days had mandatory Spanish he told me. The culture really died down after WW2 though.
I am a Filipino too. I am familiar with Spanish culture because of my roots and also because I used to frequent Spain in the past. It has made me see how similar the customs and traditions. Customs and traditions introduced by Spain to the Philippines.

Of course we are Asians because we are in Asia. But we are also hispanic in culture. We are not Buddhist nor Muslim. Muslim is only in Mindanao and not everyone there is Muslim.
I am a Filipino and an Asian but I don't see so much similarities with other Asians except for rice and physical appearance.

I don't think America did so well. Americans just controlled everything written in our history books to make everyone think they were better colonisers. They also tried so hard to eradicate the Spanish language to promote English, they could have done the same as Puerto Rico, retained Spanish while promoting English, that way Filipinos would have also been billinguals like Puerto Ricans. Spanish is the 2nd most important language in the world being spoken by 500 million people in the world, could help Filipinos work or do business with Spain and Latin America and not just concentrate in Anglo countries. So many colonial buildings got destroyed because of their presence in the Philippines during world war 2 but they didn't even bother restoring them.

You may not want to recognize the Spanish culture that we have absorbed, but Philippines is a member of Hispanidad ( a group of countries with hispanic culture ) also a member of Latin Union.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Union

Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
The culture of the Philippines changes all the time. It went from Negrito to Austronesian to Indian/Arab/Chinese to Spanish to American to Korean

Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The culture of the Philippines changes all the time. It went from Negrito to Austronesian to Indian/Arab/Chinese to Spanish to American to Korean
The only thing that I notice of Korean influence is the music and tv series, those who are fanatic follow the hairstyle and clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or