U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times

Advertisements

To me, the pop culture in the Philippines right now is American & Korean, but the traditional culture is more Hispanic than anything else.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
The only thing that I notice of Korean influence is the music and tv series, those who are fanatic follow the hairstyle and clothes.
I agree... We do not celebrate their festivities, women don't dress up like Koreans and we surely don't eat Kimchi.

Even hairstyle, only actors and still, only few actors copy Korean hairstyle for men because their hairstyle is a bit gayish.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
To me, the pop culture in the Philippines right now is American & Korean, but the traditional culture is more Hispanic than anything else.
Actually, telenovela is still being shown in the Philippines. They just separate them in local channels instead they have this 24/7 all telenovelas dubbed in Filipino. It's available in Skycable channel 60
TeleNovela Channel | Bringing you closer to life's drama. so only with cable channels can actually watch it. I guess to give way to Filipino teleserye that is getting famous as they also covered the afternoon slots which used to be for telenovelas. I guess our TV networks are trying to make our teleserye worth it to export abroad 'Dugong Buhay' in the afternoon teleserye is actually nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ7CfHk-BHI

Last edited by pinai; 06-20-2013 at 12:47 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I agree... We do not celebrate their festivities, women don't dress up like Koreans and we surely don't eat Kimchi.

Even hairstyle, only actors and still, only few actors copy Korean hairstyle for men because their hairstyle is a bit gayish.
yup, we don't eat kimchi and other traditional Korean culture. We'll the only influence I see is music and koreanovelas that's it. I actually don't watch, I am more on watching our Teleserye so I don't know what's the latest Koreanovela or even their actors lol that is showing on TV right now or sometimes I watch old Filipino movies on Cinema One.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
yup, we don't eat kimchi and other traditional Korean culture. We'll the only influence I see is music and koreanovelas that's it. I actually don't watch, I am more on watching our Teleserye so I don't know what's the latest Koreanovela or even their actors lol that is showing on TV right now or sometimes I watch old Filipino movies on Cinema One.
I got hooked on Korean novela only once , it was Boys Over Flowers. Soundtrack was one of the reasons. After that Korean Novela, I didn't get to watch anything any more. It's not the same as how I got hooked on Mexican, Colombian and Venezuelan Tele novelas. I like Brasilian Telenovelas too as some of their novelas are epic ( shows when the Portuguese and Italians came to Brasil and the lives of the people before ).

I don't really see the point of Filipinos getting hooked on Korean pop, in the first place, Filipino showbiz personalities can dance better and look better than them. What is just lacking in the entertainment world are good songwriters as these days, no one writes songs in the Philippines any more . There were good song writers in the 80's, but seems like they are all gone now. Even my husband who is not a Filipino also think Filipinos can dance better than them ( he watches ASAP ) .

Old 06-20-2013, 01:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
The Filipinos they put on shows like ASAP cannot dance at all. They have no rhythm and they look stiff. Filipino celebrities are so white-washed that they can't dance

Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
The Filipinos they put on shows like ASAP cannot dance at all. They have no rhythm and they look stiff. Filipino celebrities are so white-washed that they can't dance
Well that's for you. There might be some who are not that good but there are good ones like Rayver Cruz, Gab Valenciano, Maja Salvador, Vina Morales, KC Concepcion, Sara Geronimo.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 06-20-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Well that's for you. There might be some who are not that good but there are good ones like Rayver Cruz, Gab Valenciano, Maja Salvador, Vina Morales, KC Concepcion, Sara Geronimo.
Yeah those you mentioned actually dance. I guess the others should stick on hosting or singing, well not everyone sings or dance there that's why they have this segment for those who sings and dance. I wish the Filipino celebrities should support our own OPM like it used to be. We have our own Pinoy Pop which is different. Where are those talented composers from the '70s or the 80s-90s. Since 2000 our OPM faded as most of the singers now are just covering songs or now copying.

RANDY SANTIAGO - BABAERO - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z0O9pjepIk
Babaero & Annie Batungbakal is just an example of real Filipino Pop music

Last edited by pinai; 06-20-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I got hooked on Korean novela only once , it was Boys Over Flowers. Soundtrack was one of the reasons. After that Korean Novela, I didn't get to watch anything any more. It's not the same as how I got hooked on Mexican, Colombian and Venezuelan Tele novelas. I like Brasilian Telenovelas too as some of their novelas are epic ( shows when the Portuguese and Italians came to Brasil and the lives of the people before ).

I don't really see the point of Filipinos getting hooked on Korean pop, in the first place, Filipino showbiz personalities can dance better and look better than them. What is just lacking in the entertainment world are good songwriters as these days, no one writes songs in the Philippines any more . There were good song writers in the 80's, but seems like they are all gone now. Even my husband who is not a Filipino also think Filipinos can dance better than them ( he watches ASAP ) .
The only Asianovela that I watched was the 'Meteor Garden', It's not a Korean but a Taiwanese so I still remember the lead Actors Barbie Xu and Jerry Yan, They are the one who actually introduced Asianovela in the Philippines and from the Telenovelas, I was hooked with Marimar, Maria Mercedes, Kassandra, La Viuda de Blanco, La Mujer de Judas (Ang babae ni Hudas), I watched it during the afternoon lol I even memorized the song intro of 'La Viuda de Blanco' because I like the love story of Alicia and Diego (1996) But I'm glad our Teleserye improved a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kJc19dfWoo
^we also started to export. It's nice to see our actors lol
dubbed in French and other languages.

Last edited by pinai; 06-20-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,443,422 times
I live in SoCal so I see lots of different cultures. No one considers Flippinos hispanic. There is some type of weird bond I see sometimes like "well, this guy isn't what I am but hes kinda close...?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or