U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 12-21-2013, 01:28 PM
 
201 posts, read 264,931 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

Hello, just chiming in:

I think Filipinos are VERY similar to Indonesians/Malaysians except the former was colonized by Spain and the latter was heavily influenced by Islam (due to frequent Arabic trade many centuries ago). This is evidenced in some of the shared vocabulary and cultural aspects between the two groups.

Now, this is just a hypothetical, but imagine if the Philippines, Indonesia, and Malaysia never had foreign contact. I believe those three nations as we know it today would not exist and instead would part of a larger nation of Malay peoples.

Also, just because a Filipino person has a Spanish last name does not automatically mean he/she is of Spanish descent. The Conquistadors were vehement in their proselytizing ways (having driven the Muslims out of the Iberian Peninsula during the Reconquista), giving the conquered native populations one of two options: convert to Catholicism OR death/slavery.

There's also studies (hotly debated) that suggest Malays migrated south from Taiwan to the Philippines and then to Malaysia/Indonesia instead of the other way around.

Unfortunately, due to the geopolitics and religious differences of today, the Philippines and Malaysia/Indonesia are more likely to distances themselves than embrace their common ancestry. For example, the majority of Filipinos use the term "Malay" to refer to the indigenous "negrito" (Melanesian) population of their country and also to the peoples of Indonesia/Malaysia.

Therefore, based on what I just discussed, I would consider Filipinos "Asian" just like Malaysians/Indonesians are "Asian."

EDIT: I just read a couple of posts before mine and would like to clarify that I think Filipinos are racially Asian but culturally semi-Hispanic due to the 300+ years of Spanish colonial rule (definitely not completely Hispanic though).

Last edited by kanjelman7; 12-21-2013 at 01:37 PM..

 
Old 12-21-2013, 01:37 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
Reputation: 1798
^ The Southern 2/3rds of the Philippines, yes, but the Northern 1/3rd has nothing to do with Indonesia/Malaysia. And history has already happened, so you can't be hypothetical and erase 3 centuries of Spanish rule. Filipinos are semi-Hispanic, whether they have any Spanish blood or not, because their culture is semi-Hispanic.

And it's not hotly debated, the "Malays" came from Taiwan, so they weren't Malays, they were Taiwanese Aborigines.
It went Taiwan ----> Philippines----> Malaysia/Indonesia-----> Madagascar, Melanesia, Polynesia, Micronesia
 
Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM
 
201 posts, read 264,931 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ The Southern 2/3rds of the Philippines, yes, but the Northern 1/3rd has nothing to do with Indonesia/Malaysia. And history has already happened, so you can't be hypothetical and erase 3 centuries of Spanish rule. Filipinos are semi-Hispanic, whether they have any Spanish blood or not, because their culture is semi-Hispanic.

And it's not hotly debated, the "Malays" came from Taiwan, so they weren't Malays, they were Taiwanese Aborigines.
It went Taiwan ----> Philippines----> Malaysia/Indonesia-----> Madagascar, Melanesia, Polynesia, Micronesia
The hypothetical example was used to explain that Filipinos are ethnically/culturally similar (though not 100% today) to Indonesia/Malaysia.

Also, the Taiwanese Aborigines are included in the Austronesian-speaking peoples group, of which Malays (Filipinos, Malaysians/Indonesians, etc.) are part of as well. This is because Malays originated from the Taiwanese Aborigines. This agrees with what you just stated. There is no argument here.

There's no question that Philippines is semi-Hispanic in culture. Though, when you say "semi," do you mean "mostly" or "partly"? I would have to say partly because it is relatively easier for a Filipino to blend in a Malaysian/Indonesian population than in Central/South America. And this is not just from phenotypic looks alone.

Nonetheless, the Filipino culture is semi-Hispanic from customs like:
-debuts (parallels the Quinceañera)
-various Catholic aspects/traditions
-Spanish vocabulary

Also, please elaborate on:
Quote:
The Southern 2/3rds of the Philippines, yes, but the Northern 1/3rd has nothing to do with Indonesia/Malaysia.
 
Old 12-21-2013, 02:22 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,722 posts, read 4,529,343 times
Reputation: 1860
Probably Not, considering that when I think of Hispanic/Latino, I think of a combination of Spanish/Portuguese and Native American, with perhaps some Black ancestry sometimes as well.

Plus, most Filipinos nowadays cannot speak Spanish, can they?
 
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
Reputation: 1798
^The Northern half of Luzon was not under the Indianized kingdoms like Srivijaya or the others that ruled over Indonesia, Malaysia and parts of the Philippines. The Ilocano and Cordilleran languages don't have words from Malay or Indonesian. The cultures of Northern Luzon are more similar to Taiwanese Aborigines. Indonesia and Malaysia seem to be much more influenced by Mainland Asia than the Philippines is. A lot of the culture, temples, ruins, etc look like Thailand, whereas the Philippines has none of that.
 
Old 12-21-2013, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Probably Not, considering that when I think of Hispanic/Latino, I think of a combination of Spanish/Portuguese and Native American, with perhaps some Black ancestry sometimes as well.

Plus, most Filipinos nowadays cannot speak Spanish, can they?
Hispanic is more on a culture. It's not just language, Spanish was once a official language of the Philippines but there are still a lot of Spanish loanwords in Filipino Language, There is Creole, There are also loanwords taken from Mexican Indigenous and Spanish Mexican. If you say nothing on those choices it means Hispanic culture never exist. It is so visible to not to notice.

We have so many food found to all Spanish Colonies, we have festivities similar to them, danza, music instrument, national costume similarities and a lot more to not to be notice the Hispanic.

Las Posadas, Noche Buena, Todos Los Santos, Festivals, Quinceanera (for us 18yrs old) etc. are just the similar activities share

Food there are so many : empanada, callos, menudo, tamales, chicken galantina, morcon, embutido, churros, lechon, paella, polvoron, chicharron, arroz valenciana, turrones, leche flan, pianono or pionono to other Spanish colonies, etc. are just few of the Hispanic food items found in Filipino dishes.


Just few of the danza, dancers are wearing the
Filipiniana, Jota is a Hispanic dance right?

Last edited by pinai; 12-21-2013 at 03:57 PM..
 
Old 12-21-2013, 05:43 PM
 
Location: West Jakarta + Tangerang
376 posts, read 742,812 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Hello, just chiming in:


EDIT: I just read a couple of posts before mine and would like to clarify that I think Filipinos are racially Asian but culturally semi-Hispanic due to the 300+ years of Spanish colonial rule (definitely not completely Hispanic though).
Indonesian is not the same as Malaysia or the Philippines
Philippines originated from Taiwan aborigines as their ancestors.while Indonesian their ancestors came from mainland Asian who now is "Yunan" south chinese they come and fill the west region of Indonesia and some in the east . (*they differ ancestors* )
history of Indonesian culture which I know is the effect indian, chinese , arabic,colonial. etc.
Philippines is one of the countries in SEA are more westernized . their culture, food , music .. is almost similar to the Spanish ( Europeans )
 
Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Indonesian is not the same as Malaysia or the Philippines
Philippines originated from Taiwan aborigines as their ancestors.while Indonesian their ancestors came from mainland Asian who now is "Yunan" south chinese they come and fill the west region of Indonesia and some in the east . (*they differ ancestors* )
history of Indonesian culture which I know is the effect indian, chinese , arabic,colonial. etc.
Philippines is one of the countries in SEA are more westernized . their culture, food , music .. is almost similar to the Spanish ( Europeans )
Do we have similar folk song and dance?

One of the Folk Dances, Lawiswis Kawayan

The Background music is composed of Guitar, Bandurria and Rondalla. I noticed that Indonesian has more Indian & Arab which is visible in some of your folk song, well we have Chinese Influences & we don't deny that from our food items, our language has Chinese loanwords too but dance and music instrument I don't think we have that much except the story of the Chopstick dance which is 'Sakuting', but most Filipinos do not used Chopsticks lol but this dance is because of the Chinese migration in the Philippines. The similarities we can share is the using of gong and some of the southern part of Mindanao & other food items. There's only few from Indian cuisines as we don't eat spices a lot. We don't have temples like you guys have, don't know if I will feel at home if I visit Indonesia or Malaysia. It seems Malaysia has more Chinese and Indian like same as Singapore atmosphere or we will feel more at home in Latin America because of lots of cuisine, customs & tradition we share with them too specially Mexico. Would like to visit Indonesia someday and experience the Indonesian culture.

Last edited by pinai; 12-21-2013 at 09:59 PM..
 
Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Do we have similar folk song and dance?

One of the Folk Dances, Lawiswis Kawayan

The Background music is composed of Guitar, Bandurria and Rondalla. I noticed that Indonesian has more Indian & Arab which is visible in some of your folk song, well we have Chinese Influences & we don't deny that from our food items, our language has Chinese loanwords too but dance and music instrument I don't think we have that much except the story of the Chopstick dance which is 'Sakuting', but most Filipinos do not used Chopsticks lol but this dance is because of the Chinese migration in the Philippines. The similarities we can share is the using of gong and some of the southern part of Mindanao & other food items. There's only few from Indian cuisines as we don't eat spices a lot. We don't have temples like you guys have, don't know if I will feel at home if I visit Indonesia or Malaysia. It seems Malaysia has more Chinese and Indian like same as Singapore atmosphere or we will feel more at home in Latin America because of lots of cuisine, customs & tradition we share with them too specially Mexico. Would like to visit Indonesia someday and experience the Indonesian culture.
I can't think of Chinese loan words except for bijon, siopao and siomai. The foods are not much either ( noodles, steamed buns and siomai ).
 
Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Probably Not, considering that when I think of Hispanic/Latino, I think of a combination of Spanish/Portuguese and Native American, with perhaps some Black ancestry sometimes as well.

Plus, most Filipinos nowadays cannot speak Spanish, can they?
You're talking about race.
Let us talk about culture which aside from language includes customs, traditions, religion, festivities, food, music, literature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top