U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 AM
 
21 posts, read 151,845 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Do you know what hispanic culture is all about ? Do you also know anything about Filipino culture ? For you to say something like that, you really do not have any clue about hispanic and filipino culture at all because you do not even know the similarities.
I know that there are quite a few similarities, but not enough to make you Hispanic.

If the Philippines Spanish colonial past makes them Hispanic, then I guess the colonial history of my country makes me Anglo-Saxon, and our British colonial past would somehow make us "related" to Caribbean people.

 
Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
It was common before but now, things are changing because new generation of Filipinos have more English names. Frankly, I prefer the old names than English names because of our family names that do not really go with English names.
I have a friend his siblings names are Marcelito, Marcelita,Marcelino, Marcelina.
Well in our family I think most is still using old names we have Danilo, Virginia, Benjamin, Modesto, Francisco, Teresita, Zenaida, Marietta, Ma. Cristina, Helen, Florentina etc. some are also using English names and I have a cousin with the name Ma. Salvacion hehe.. her nickname is Salve,

Well old names for new generation think it's old-fashioned. I have friend his name is Jovito and we call him Jovits, Ma. Rowena, Ma. Corazon.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:01 AM
 
21 posts, read 151,845 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Give me example of Hispanic Culture? What is Hispanic Culture to you?
Well when I think of Hispanic culture I think of Latin America, and I know Latin America is VERY diverse but the first things that come to my mind of Hispanic culture is salsa,tacos,football, and all the other things that go with Hispanic culture(s) that you don't see in Filipino culture(s).
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
I know that there are quite a few similarities, but not enough to make you Hispanic.

If the Philippines Spanish colonial past makes them Hispanic, then I guess the colonial history of my country makes me Anglo-Saxon, and our British colonial past would somehow make us "related" to Caribbean people.
Well technically no, the Phils are not Hispanic because they're not predominantly Spanish speaking, or anywhere near it. Maybe they're just strongly influenced by Hispanic culture. Britain had an appreciable influence on Pakistan/India: the language of government, systems of law and order, government and of course cricket, yet I feel it never penetrated the culture that deeply. Religion, a huge demarcator of culture, is one example.

The Hispanidad is similar to the former Commonwealth. I'd say Singapore is a part of the Anglosphere, actually. While it's very original settlers were not English-speaking, modern Singapore was established by the British to a large degree. It is the language of education, government, law, business, much of the media, and will likely be spoken by 50% as their home language in the near future.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
Well when I think of Hispanic culture I think of Latin America, and I know Latin America is VERY diverse but the first things that come to my mind of Hispanic culture is salsa,tacos,football, and all the other things that go with Hispanic culture(s) that you don't see in Filipino culture(s).
Salsa and tacos are mostly Mexican - well salsa is Spanish for 'sauce', right? Football isn't something I think of as specifically Hispanic, it's also very big outside it. It, like most modern sports, has it's origins in Britain although the Aztecs had a similar game.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 AM
 
21 posts, read 151,845 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Salsa and tacos are mostly Mexican - well salsa is Spanish for 'sauce', right? Football isn't something I think of as specifically Hispanic, it's also very big outside it. It, like most modern sports, has it's origins in Britain although the Aztecs had a similar game.
When I said Salsa I meant the dance genre, I know football isn't exclusive to Latin America but I don't know any other part of the world that is as passionate as Latin America.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,846,437 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
I know that there are quite a few similarities, but not enough to make you Hispanic.

If the Philippines Spanish colonial past makes them Hispanic, then I guess the colonial history of my country makes me Anglo-Saxon, and our British colonial past would somehow make us "related" to Caribbean people.
The thing is because our culture is so hispanic even minus the language, Philippines is one of the members of Hispanidad ( hispanic organisation ) that no matter how non hispanic question it, still doesn't outcast the Filipinos because we are part of the organisation.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanidad
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 AM
 
21 posts, read 151,845 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
The thing is because our culture is so hispanic aside from the language, Philippines is one of the members of Hispanidad ( hispanic organisation ) that no matter how non hispanic question it, still doesn't outcast the Filipinos because we are part of the organisation.

Hispanidad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alright so you're officially a member of the Hispanic club, but I don't get why Filipinos are so keen on keeping their Hispanic past alive even though the Spaniards invaded your country,committed atrocities,forcefully converted the people and tried to destroy the culture.

EDIT:IMO,Just because the Philippines is part of Hispanidad it doesn't make them Hispanic, my country of origin is a member of the commonwealth organisation but we don't claim to be Anglo-Saxon because of that.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
When I said Salsa I meant the dance genre, I know football isn't exclusive to Latin America but I don't know any other part of the world that is as passionate as Latin America.
Oh yeah of course, I guess I just thought you meant food because it followed tacos lol...
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,231,639 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
Alright so you're officially a member of the Hispanic club, but I don't get why Filipinos are so keen on keeping their Hispanic past alive even though the Spaniards invaded your country,committed atrocities,forcefully converted the people and tried to destroy the culture.

EDIT:IMO,Just because the Philippines is part of Hispanidad it doesn't make them Hispanic, my country of origin is a member of the commonwealth organisation but we don't claim to be Anglo-Saxon because of that.
I guess it still is part of their identity, they can't get rid of it. It makes them who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top