U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
Alright so you're officially a member of the Hispanic club, but I don't get why Filipinos are so keen on keeping their Hispanic past alive even though the Spaniards invaded your country,committed atrocities,forcefully converted the people and tried to destroy the culture.
Don't you see Filipinos accepted Catholicism. People who are not Catholics will always say bad things about our religion blaming Spain or someone else. A lot of Filipinos accepted the culture that was already installed. Embraced their surnames, names, food even if it's already a mixture or fusion of cultures. We already accepted that Hispanic is part of our identity that we have both native and Hispanic and other cultures that was already part of Filipino Culture.

If we are not Catholics I guess we won't enjoy our Christmas tradition, Our All Saints day or Todos Los Santos, Our Santa Cruzan, Our Fiestas, and other related Catholic tradition. Is that hard to understand in Filipino Culture. Those churches that you see in the Philippines is already part of our heritage same as Indonesian value their temples of Hinduism & Muslim Mosque in Southeast Asia. They value their own religion, they change their surnames to Muslim from being Animist.

We, Filipinos have different Customs & Religion and practices. Some remain Animist, some value their Catholic Religion or Christianity, etc. and some also value their religion being a Muslim.

Last edited by pinai; 12-23-2013 at 09:59 AM..

 
Old 12-23-2013, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownThor View Post
Alright so you're officially a member of the Hispanic club, but I don't get why Filipinos are so keen on keeping their Hispanic past alive even though the Spaniards invaded your country,committed atrocities,forcefully converted the people and tried to destroy the culture.

EDIT:IMO,Just because the Philippines is part of Hispanidad it doesn't make them Hispanic, my country of origin is a member of the commonwealth organisation but we don't claim to be Anglo-Saxon because of that.
Pakistan was a British colony but is your religion and culture British ?
Doesn't seem the same in the Philippines since Philippines is predominatly catholic plus Spain and Mexico contributed so much in our culture. We cannot deny their contribution because if not for them, we will not have our religion and culture, traditions, customs and food.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Pakistan was a British colony but is your religion and culture British ?
Doesn't seem the same in the Philippines since Philippines is predominatly catholic plus Spain and Mexico contributed so much in our culture. We cannot deny their contribution because if not for them, we will not have our religion and culture, traditions, customs and food.
I wonder how the Philippines got so Hispanicized without a lot of Spaniards coming in? Most Asian colonies, be it Indochina, India or even Malaya, don't seem as affected, although Malaya was quite a lot in recent years and actually after independence. I would say Penang is decidedly more colonially influenced than Kolkata.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I wonder how the Philippines got so Hispanicized without a lot of Spaniards coming in? Most Asian colonies, be it Indochina, India or even Malaya, don't seem as affected, although Malaya was quite a lot in recent years and actually after independence. I would say Penang is decidedly more colonially influenced than Kolkata.
Wondering why we don't have temples too.. Why Indonesian or other neighbor country never shared those temples and built in the Philippines. There is no traces of temples like Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia or Thailand etc.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Wondering why we don't have temples too.. Why Indonesian or other neighbor country never shared those temples and built in the Philippines. There is no traces of temples like Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia or Thailand etc.
Did Hinduism or Buddhism ever even reach the Philippines? Wasn't there a Muslim kingdom in Mindanao before the Spanish came? Actually weren't there Chinese before that too? No Chinese temples from before that era? I think there are some Chinese temples now though right.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Did Hinduism or Buddhism ever even reach the Philippines? Wasn't there a Muslim kingdom in Mindanao before the Spanish came? Actually weren't there Chinese before that too? No Chinese temples from before that era? I think there are some Chinese temples now though right.
There are traces yes it reach the Philippines but no temples. only those gold artifacts of kinari and golden tara the Malayan Goddess etc.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:15 AM
 
21 posts, read 151,803 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Pakistan was a British colony but is your religion and culture British ?
Doesn't seem the same in the Philippines since Philippines is predominatly catholic plus Spain and Mexico contributed so much in our culture. We cannot deny their contribution because if not for them, we will not have our religion and culture, traditions, customs and food.
So you feel "Hispanic" because of your religion and "culture", I could claim that I feel semitic because of my religion but we don't claim to be semites because we're not.

I don't see Caribbean people claiming to be British even though they share the same religion,language and similar cultures.

I don't really think Filipino culture is that similar to Spanish culture, they seem really distinct.

I don't think it would be fair to call Spanish colonization and atrocities a "contribution", that's like showing off a hickey you got from an abusive un-consensual relationship , why take pride in that?
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
There are traces yes it reach the Philippines but no temples. only those gold artifacts of kinari and golden tara the Malayan Goddess etc.
Buddhism in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently it was present in some form from the 9th century AD they think.

Most temples today are Chinese.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Buddhism in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently it was present in some form from the 9th century AD they think.

Most temples today are Chinese.
The 9th century probably those Chinese traders and Pirates who went to the Philippines. But Filipino natives are Animists.
 
Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,228,213 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
The 9th century probably those Chinese traders and Pirates who went to the Philippines. But Filipino natives are Animists.
How much kinship do Filipinos feel towards indonesians? Both are diverse and multi-ethnic, but they have many obvious similarities. How do the two relate to each other? How do they differ in personality? I know the culture differences, religion and food being the main ones. I think Javanaese and Sumatrans as being 'typical' Indonesians, while those from Luzon are 'typical' Filipinos. How similar is Bahasa Indonesia and Tagalog in your experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top