U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:18 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I wonder how the Philippines got so Hispanicized without a lot of Spaniards coming in? Most Asian colonies, be it Indochina, India or even Malaya, don't seem as affected, although Malaya was quite a lot in recent years and actually after independence. I would say Penang is decidedly more colonially influenced than Kolkata.
I think Spanish were more domineering than the other European colonisers as Hispanic countries all have similar culture and temperament... or maybe it really made a difference having the same religion, the Spanish and Filipinos integrated more.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:04 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,504 times
Quote:
How much kinship do Filipinos feel towards indonesians? Both are diverse and multi-ethnic, but they have many obvious similarities. How do the two relate to each other? How do they differ in personality? I know the culture differences, religion and food being the main ones. I think Javanaese and Sumatrans as being 'typical' Indonesians, while those from Luzon are 'typical' Filipinos. How similar is Bahasa Indonesia and Tagalog in your experience?
Totally different language, but i don't think many knew about each other that much.. Most Indonesians don't know where the Philippines or what it looked like... diplomatic relation however seems to be fairly good.

Quote:
So there aren't many Indonesians in Manila? In Singapore you see a lot of Filipino and Indonesian maids and increasingly other workers. They can be quite a friendly people. A lot of Indonesian culture, especially the food, is familiar to me. Malaysia and Indonesia shares a lot of cuisine, nasi dishes (nasi is rice), ayam (chicken), like nasi goreng, mee goreng, ayam kapitan/kopitam, kueh lapis (layer cake), otak otak (fish paste), satay, beef rendang, gado gado. Fried chicken, fried fish and sambal (chilli shrimp paste) is one thing that seems to define Indonesian cuisine, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I haven't met any Indonesian in Manila, well maybe they are because physically, some Indonesian may look like Filipinos. Maybe, most of them is in the area where they can easily at home for those Muslim Indonesian maybe from the South. Which is visible is the Indians, lol in the Philippines.
Apperently Indonesia attracts more Filipinos tourist than Philippines attract Indonesians lol, there are interestingly more Indonesians (47k) in the Philippines whom most are illegal migrants during the Suharto era, and most settled in Minandao.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Totally different language, but i don't think many knew about each other that much.. Most Indonesians don't know where the Philippines or what it looked like... diplomatic relation however seems to be fairly good.

Apperently Indonesia attracts more Filipinos tourist than Philippines attract Indonesians lol, there are interestingly more Indonesians (47k) in the Philippines whom most are illegal migrants during the Suharto era, and most settled in Minandao.
I read Indonesia is 5th largest foreign group in the Philippines and mostly settled in Mindanao.
Indonesians in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-25-2013, 06:54 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times
Pinai can you post those Mexican and Filipino serenade songs and Mexican and Filipino folk dance again so BrownThor can have an idea about Mexican and Filipino culture ?

Old 12-25-2013, 08:53 AM

^Example: A Scene from the Movie 'A Walk in the Clouds'

A Scene from a Comic Filipino Movie on what is 'Harana' or to Serenade

Some Filipino folk dances

Christmas Dance 'Pastores A Belen'

Sayaw sa Cuyo (Balse Dance)

Subli

Jota dances

Habanera de Jovencita

Pandanggo sa Ilaw & Oasioas

^similar Mexican dance is 'La Bruja Dance from Veracruz'

Mexican Glasses on the head with water and tequilla drink

Filipino Dance with glasses, full of water or Tuba alcohol drink

Last edited by pinai; 12-25-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 AM

Here's another dance the 'Panderetas' or 'Las Panderetas'

Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,212,020 times
besides the Philippines there are also many Asian Hispanics from Latin America

Chinese Hispanics, Japanese Peruvians, Brazil, Puerto Rico, etc

Today, the overwhelming majority of Asian Latin Americans are of Chinese, Japanese, or Korean decent

Im sure many of them are also culturally hispanic after living in those countries
Asian Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
With some conversations in Tagalog, a Spanish speaker who also knows English could get the gist of the conversation. It depends on the topic though. But I'm glad that the Spanish language didn't take over in the Philippines as it did in the other colonies. We have at least 150 different languages and most are thriving. The major regional languages have local news in their language, music, books, TV shows, films, and the children in those regions have that language as the medium of instruction in grades K-3.

Last edited by Smtchll; 12-28-2013 at 02:22 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 PM

399 posts, read 580,737 times
My wife's native language is Bisaya-Cebuano. They have lots of Spanish and English loan words. But it's their own language.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
My wife's native language is Bisaya-Cebuano. They have lots of Spanish and English loan words. But it's their own language.
Is she part of the Indigenous? doesn't she cooks Hispanic food items? What is her surname? Is she a Catholic? does she celebrate Noche Buena tradition, Semana Santa, Celebrating the Todos Los Santos? or Undas, joining the Festivities in Cebu for Sinulog for Pit Senyor Santo Nino? Is her national dress Maria Clara outfit? https://www.google.com.bh/search?q=m...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAQ
or the Filipiniana. This thread is not just about language it's also other cultural thing.

^this is what I am saying about
Semi-Hispanic, Muslim Filipinos, Animist Filipinos
and Catholic Filipinos and our Malay or Austronesian heritage etc.
mixing together.

Last edited by pinai; 12-30-2013 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or