U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,503,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
The question is "Do you consider consider the Philippine people Hispanic?". My answer is no I don't.
In general, your answer is fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But when myself and other people are telling you that we know Filipinos who do consider themselves to be "Hispanic," how do you respond to that?

Quote:
Many Filipinos have spanish surnames and are Catholics, but that is about as Hispanic they get. I am black and have an English surname, but I'm not Anglo.
I agree that "Anglo" in this country is almost exclusively used to refer to whites of Anglo-Saxon background. However, the United States is culturally an "Anglo" country with strong "Anglo" heritage and traditions. If you're a black American, I would expect for you to identify both with being ethnically African-American and culturally "Anglo," but since ethnicity and culture are such highly personal matters, it is 100% up to you how you label yourself. Keep that in mind in our discussion of how the admitted small minority of Filipinos who identify as "Hispanic" label themselves.

Quote:
The African country called Angola official language is Portuguese, but they are not considered Latino or anything like that.
I am no expert on Angola, but as far as I know, not many Angolans have a cultural connection to Portugal/Latin Europe. However, I would venture to say that the small percentage of white and mixed residents (1% and 2% of the population, respectively, per the CIA World Factbook) certainly do have a cultural connection to Portugal/Latin Europe. There may even be some black residents of Angola who identify with being Latin due to socializing with the country's elite, having had the opportunity to study in Portugal or Brazil or through having family living in those locations abroad. Again, what authority have a group of Americans debating this issue in an internet forum to tell people like this that being black/African precludes a Latin cultural identity?

Quote:
Only 3% of Filipinos today have Spanish ancestry, despite Spaniards once ruled that country. Since you said only a minority identify with the Latin culture, then its safe they say they're not Hispanic. The majority rules and most consider themselves Asian or at least Pacific Islanders.
Being Asian or Pacific Islander doesn't preclude one from identifying with the Latin culture. Did you know that Havana had one of the largest Chinatowns in the Western Hemisphere before Castro took power in 1959? The "majority rules" mindset may be good for making broad generalizations, but it isn't good for thoughtful recollection of how a diverse population thinks and acts. If you were to meet a Filipino person who described himself to you as culturally Latin or "Hispanic," would you actually have the audacity to tell him "no you're not"?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:33 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,503,695 times
Quote:
Yeah I know Indians are classified as Caucasoid, but not all of them are. India is pretty diverse itself consisting of different tribes or ethnic groups. Afterall its a mini-continent in its own right. North India(most of your Bollywood actors) consist of a lot of Caucasian type, Dravidians in South India, and Indians with Mongoloid features too. There is also a very small population of Afro-Indians called Siddis.
Siddi: Information from Answers.com
You're right about this. I did read about the Siddi tribe once. Also, once you start moving toward far eastern India and Bangladesh, people have a mixture of Caucasoid and Mongoloid features. Keep moving further east and you're in Southeast Asia, where people generally look overwhelmingly Mongoloid. Besides for the eastern periphery of the Indian sub-continent and the Siddi (in addition to another Afro-Indian tribe that lives on islands off of India, as I recall), the sub-continent is pretty Caucasian, from the dark-skinned people of the south to the light-skinned people of the north.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Racially speaking, South Asians such as Indians and Pakistanis are Caucasoid ("Caucasian") and not Mongoloid ("east Asian"). Geographically speaking, you are correct that the Indian sub-continent is part of Asia. When speaking of race, religion, and culture, that part of Asia is very different from East Asia, so it makes sense that people would differentiate themselves on those bases.
Indians are still very connected to Asian culture. The culture in Southeast Asia is actually more Indian-influenced than Chinese-influenced, so while the people may be Mongoloid, their culture is more similar to Indians.

Indian sphere of influence "Indosphere"

Chinese sphere of influence "Sinosphere"

Notice that the Philippines is left out of both maps because it lacks significant influence from either. Maybe this is why a lot of Asians see Filipino culture as foreign. I think if the Philippines had to be included in one, it'd be the Indosphere, but Sinosphere wouldn't be too far off either.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 AM

61 posts, read 190,029 times
Indians and other people from the Indian sub-continent share similar culture as Southeast Asians but are very different genetically.

Southeast Asians share a common genetic DNA with East Asians... they are both part of Haplogroup O which is a DNA group only found in 90% of East and Southeast Asians... Filipinos are part of Haplogroup O therefore they are "Asian" in the stereotypical sense of the word meaning "mongoloid"...

Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,654,059 times
LOL @ the boy sticking his middle finger up in the pic. hahahaha.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 PM

985 posts, read 3,262,094 times
Thumbs up Manusya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yes most Filipinos are Mongoloids, but there are a lot of Filipinos that don't look Mongoloid at all.

I don't know where these people would be classified. I've been to the Philippines and I'd say 15-25% of the population has this phenotype or similar. They could be heavily mixed with Negrito, but all of the information I've read suggests that the Negrito admixture in the Philippines is very very low, less than 1%. These are Negritos btw, the original Filipinos, there are only around 30,000 left in the Philippines.
The population of large swaths of areas of the world wouldn't fit into the category of mongoloid nor negroid nor caucasoid. These include Southeast, South, Central Asia, a large part of West Asia, northern Africa, Madagascar and Oceania.
In fact, it's often crisscross. The pics from Smtchll show it pretty well (lovely pics btw ). A lot of people on the Philippines and Indonesia look negroid, many native sub-saharan Africans look mongoloid, a lot of natives of Oman and Saudi look negroid, whilst many Ethiopians look like black caucasoid..
For the most part, they're neither mong, nor negr, nor cauc. Some consider them as a mix, others include them as part of another racial group. Neither one being completely wrong.
That's why there's been so many different racial classifications.
For example Blumenbach, the man who made popular the idea of racial classification based on comparative anatomy, introduced five races.
If it were for me, I'd include an Austronesian race (similar to Blumenbach's Malayan race) .

Quote:
Filipinos share a common origin with Taiwanese Aborigines (not the Han Chinese that dominate Taiwan today), Indonesians, Malaysians, and Pacific Islanders. They are collectively known as "Austronesians" which is the name of the language family that stretches from Madagascar to Easter Island:

You'd be surprised the amount of similar words that are shared by these groups. For example, the word for "eye" is:

Tagalog (Filipino): Mata
Hawaiian: Maka
Malay: Mata
Samoan: Mata
Malagasy (Madagascar): Maso
Maori (New Zealand): Mata
Tao (Taiwan): Mata

Today these groups are percieved as very different because centuries of outside influence. Filipinos, Indonesians, and Malaysians were heavily influenced by Mainland Asia while Polynesians, Micronesians, and Melanesians were not influenced by Asia and left to develop their own unique cultures. The people of Madagascar were influenced by Mainland Africa. So today, these groups are considered Asian, Pacific Islander, and African, respectively, even though they all have a similar origin & languages.
"Day"
Malay: Hari
Malagasy: Andro

"Eye" (see above)

"Sun"
Malay: Matahari
Malagasy: Masoandro

Quote:
Filipino stars used to all look Hispanic/European:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Egr8cBS-sA&feature=fvw
Actually most of them look native Philippine. Just go to the Philippines and you'd be surprised at how the people look like.
That's what I meant above with most people not fitting into neither mongoloid nor negroid nor caucasoid.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Default singko

Quote:
Filipinos share a common origin with Taiwanese Aborigines (not the Han Chinese that dominate Taiwan today), Indonesians, Malaysians, and Pacific Islanders. They are collectively known as "Austronesians" which is the name of the language family that stretches from Madagascar to Easter Island:

You'd be surprised the amount of similar words that are shared by these groups. For example, the word for "eye" is:

Tagalog (Filipino): Mata
Hawaiian: Maka
Malay: Mata
Samoan: Mata
Malagasy (Madagascar): Maso
Maori (New Zealand): Mata
Tao (Taiwan): Mata

Today these groups are percieved as very different because centuries of outside influence. Filipinos, Indonesians, and Malaysians were heavily influenced by Mainland Asia while Polynesians, Micronesians, and Melanesians were not influenced by Asia and left to develop their own unique cultures. The people of Madagascar were influenced by Mainland Africa. So today, these groups are considered Asian, Pacific Islander, and African, respectively, even though they all have a similar origin & languages.
Tagalog: lima
Hawaiian: lima
Malay: lima
Malagasy: dimi (written: dimy)
Maori: rima
Tao/Yami: lima

Old 02-08-2010, 09:01 PM

Smile SE Asian

Here's a nice video of southeast Asian children.

If you lump them together, they look pretty homogeneous. But if you look at the individuals, at their nose and/or eyes and/or hair and/or skin, a lot of them don't fit into either negr nor cauc nor mong, and if you go to those countries yourself, you'll see even more variations.
Nose form varies from negroid (called pésék) to caucasoid (called mancung).
Eyes vary from mongoloid (called sipit) to ???.
Hair texture from kinky (negroid) to straight (???).
Skin color from dark (negroid) to light (???).
Lips vary from thick (negroid) to thin (???).
Etc.

You may consider them as:
-a mix of negroid and/or caucasoid and/or negroid and/or any additional race (australoid, capoid, dravidian, pacific, etc.)
-a whole 'nother race altogether
-a part of one human race

Choose your pick.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,654,059 times
this is why race is a stupid concept IMO.
in a utopia world, we would shy away from labels. we wouldn't have/feel the need to label ourselves. oh well.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
this is why race is a stupid concept IMO.
in a utopia world, we would shy away from labels. we wouldn't have/feel the need to label ourselves. oh well.
Well, the concept of race is important in certain societies, the US being a main example.
Without it there would be no such thing as the "Civil Rights Movement".

On the other hand one musn't forget that the racial classifications are not absolute. They never were and never will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or