U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:26 PM

2,241 posts, read 2,679,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Overall, I wouldn't. The Philippines has some Latinate influence, obviously. And some of the towns wouldn't look out-of-place in southern Mexico.

But the language is very, very different. Sure, there are a lot of Spanish loanwords. But the fundamental grammar is totally foreign to Spanish. Have you ever tried to conjugate a Tagalog verb? It's not so simple!

There are similarities with some aspects of the food, but the Philippines has much more Chinese/East Asian influence (dishes like pancit or lumpia, and ingredients like bean sprouts, bitter melon, bok choy, etc.). The types of fish are also different. Milkfish ("bangus") are considered the "national fish" of the Philippines, while that species has only a very minor role in Latin America.

The agricultural environment is also different. A typical agricultural scene in the Philippines might involve a farmer guiding his carabao (a type of domesticated Asian water buffalo) and a plow through a rice field, then eating lunch at his bahay kubo (a type of thatched-roof hut, often on stilts, used for housing among some of the rural classes). This isn't a scene you'd experience in Latin America.

The main religious factions in the Philippines are Roman Catholic, various Protestant groups, a group called Iglesia ni Cristo, and Islam. Latin America has the Catholic/Protestant element, but then there are various syncretic religions like Santeria, or Amerindian-influenced rituals.

There are some similarities, but Filipinos have more in common with the rest of eastern Asia than they do with Latin America.
Latin America has a lot of people of Asian descent.

And Philippines has way more in common with Latin America, Mexico, and Spain than it does with the rest of Asia.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
No, they are Asians. However they have hispanic in them.
Hispanic is NOT a race.

Asian and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive.

So how does one being Asian stop one from being Hispanic?

Also how does one being Hispanic stop one from being Asian?

Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 PM

Asian is not really a race or racial term when you really think deep about it. Asian is more of a continental term label.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Yea I live in The Bay Area which has the 2nd largest population of Filipino's and I don't think I have EVER heard them refered to as Hispanic. They were a former colony of Spain so ofcourse some of that rubbed off on the culture. Stanford did a research study on Filipinos and they found that they share a Y Chromosome that is also predominat among Chinese, Koreans, and Vietanmese. The study also concluded that only about 3.6% of the population actually had European ancenstry from Spain and The United States colonization. So I think it's more appropriate to consider them Asian than Hispanic.

Filipino people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hispanic is NOT a race.

Asian and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive.

So how does one being Asian stop one from being Hispanic?

Also how does one being Hispanic stop one from being Asian?

I'm curious? Dominican Republic has a strong predominant African lineage among it's people, but would you deny the Dominicans their right or entitlement to their Hispanic identity label?

It's just like how ALL U.S. Americans of all races and racial mixtures ARE Anglo/Brittanic but not all have British ancestry.

Many Hispanics have little to NO Spanish ancestry at all. Hispanics can be of ANY race btw.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i went to school with a girl with a first and last "hispanic name." she looked like your "stereotypical hispanic" female from the caribbean (such as pr, dr, cuba...not mexico or central america).

take a wild guess where she was from?

you would swear on your life that she wasn't asian. this would be like me telling you j lo was from the phillippines. it would blow a lot of ppl's minds.

anyway, with that said, filipinos are asian. some refer to themselves as pacific islanders but they are asian. are japanese ppl pacific islanders? etc. etc.
in order to be hispanic, you have to speak spanish or come from spanish speaking ppl. filipinos don't speak spanish they speak tagalog, so...

also, yes, some africans migrated to (or however you want to say it) the phillippines because of a war. they didn't believe in the war, iirc, and left and mixed with the population. i don't know the amount of black ppl but yeah...learned that in history class.
Africans have been in Philippines since ancient times and arrived with Arab, Portuguese, and Spaniard/Spanish, and Mexican, Cuban, and Louisianian sailors, merchants, traders, and slave captors etc. Many African slaves from Mexico moved back and forth between the Philippines. So there are populations that descend from Afro Hispanic and Spanish speaking Africans that have lived in Philippines since way back and of course many have mixed with other groups of people in the islands and the galleon trades etc.

Then of course there have been some African American and also continental Africans that have settled in the Philippines for various reasons.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Hispanic is a broad cultural term that has come to define the offspring of the Spanish conquistadors and the Amerindians of South and Central America. Speaking Spanish as a first language is not enough, as Spaniards themselves are white, not Hispanic.
Hispanic has NOTHING to do with race. It's a broad pan cultural term. It refers to Spanish speaking peoples of ANY and ALL races.

White and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive.

Charlie Sheen (whose real last name is Estevez) is Cuban on both sides of his family. He is Hispanic (which means coming from a Spanish speaking country) and racially, he is WHITE.

Andy Garcia was born and raised in Cuba. He is 100% Cuban. His race is WHITE.

Gina Torres is an actress, singer, and musician and is the wife of Laurence Fishburne. Gina Torres is Cuban (and is said to also have Puerto Rican as well).

Faizon Love was born and raised in Cuba to 2 Cuban parents.

So again Hispanic/Latino just means coming from a Spanish speaking or Romance language speaking nation.

It's the same as if people from the USA and ALL English speaking nations of all races and racial mixtures are grouped together and called Anglo/Brittanic.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
See that's what I've always thought, I had a story with that assumption, but I read somewhere that someone from Spain is also considered Hispanic. And that rather surprised me.

From what I remember reading of the census designation Hispanic is basically anyone who says they are Hispanic. Brazilian immigrants can even identify as Hispanic if they so choose despite Brazil never being a colony of Spain or Spanish speaking. (As I recall Brazilians almost never do so though)

Traditionally I thought "Hispanic" meant a person of a former Spanish colony so that's why I once wondered if the Philippines did fit. However once I learned more of their nation I found out Spanish was not even a major language there. Ethnologue indicates only a few thousand Filippinos, most of them in Manilla, speak Spanish.

Ethnologue report for Philippines

Filippino, Tagalog, and English are the main languages.

There are places outside Latin America that could complicate this though. Spanish is an official language of Equatorial Guinea in Africa. Although most of them apparently speak languages called Bube or Fang. (I'm not sure many from Equatorial Guinea come to the US anyway)

Ethnologue report for Equatorial Guinea

However the Canarians, people of the Canary Islands, do speak a variant of Spanish. They're also a mix of Spanish with other things. I guess some Canarians did settle in Texas or Louisiana and there is apparently still an "Isleno" community in Louisiana. One Isleno was a Dixieland jazz musician named Alcide Nunez.

Isleño - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.losislenos.org/history.html

However what I gather the Islenos don't consider themselves Hispanic, this culture is new to me (which is neat for me), except for maybe the Islenos of Puerto Rico.
A lot of Canarians and Isleños also went to Cuba, Florida, Dominican Republic, Mississippi, Alabama etc.

And Spanish is being revived and is still maintained in schools and in various parts of the island. It was the main national and the official language until the USA forced the Philippines remove Spanish from the official language roster in 1987.

Chavacano is a Spanish based dialect. Many elites and ppl descended from and/or mixed with Spanish and Spaniards still speak Spanish.

Philippines is also a member of many international Hispanic fraternal organizations and also part of La Hispanidad.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 01-01-2014 at 12:56 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
brazilians aren't hispanic. they are latino. hispanic = spanish speaking. they speak portuguese.

latino has to do with being in or from latin america.
hispanic has to do with the spanish language.

this is why spanish ppl are hispanic but not latino, why brazilians are latino but not hispanic, why haitians are not hispanic but could be considered latino (they share the island with the dominican republic which is in latin america) and why certain countries' citizens (such as cuba, dr, pr, etc.) are hispanic and latino.
Haitians are Latin because of the fact that Haitians speak French. The term Latin America was coined by the French and Napoleon.

On the USA census Brazilians and Haitians are NOT included as Latinos or Hispanics on the USA census.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
Apparently you are not familiar with any Filipinos or their culture; they are most definitely NOT Hispanic in any way nor does their culture resemble Hispanic life.
Do you even know what Hispanic means? Filipinos are most definitely Hispanic. They have way more in common with Mexicans, Spaniards, and Latin Americans than they do with Asia.

Philippines is also extremely devoutly Catholic. It's over +95% Catholic.

Philippines also has Sephardic Jewish influences too.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Actually Spanish was the Philipine’s official language from the 16th century until the change of Constitution in 1987. The Spanish Crown was there for more than 400 years. Up until the US occupation and administration of the islands English was imposed and Spanish became gradually marginalized. During that period and became the Spanish became the lingua franca of the country's elites in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The national hero José Rizal and other intellectuals wrote most of their works in Spanish. There are thousands of Spanish loan words in 170 native Philippine languages. The 21st century has seen a revival of interest in the Spanish language in the Philipines.
Chavacano is a Spanish language based dialect spoken in some parts of the Philippines. Spanish is very important and still factors heavily in Philippines cultural history and local life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or