U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:52 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,115,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Possibly. French Canada has a Latinate culture, to a large extent. "Latino" is just the Spanish word for "Latin." It obviously has certain associations in American English, but its definition may be wider than many people expect.
Actually, there is a word for Latin that exists in Spanish. It's called "Latín". Not exactly the same as or to be confused with the term and word "Latino".

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lat%C3%ADn

Old 01-01-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm skeptical many/any French Canadians identify as Latino. I'm not sure I've even heard of Haitians doing that.

To me "Latino" would be "from Latin America" and Quebec was never considered part of Latin America in my memory.
It was actually the French and Napoleon that coined the term of Latin America. The concept was called "Amerique Latine".

France most of what would become part of the USA later on at the time that they developed the concept idea of Latin America.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I consider them more Asian than Hispanic.
Based on your logic, that's like saying you consider Puerto Ricans or Cubans to be more Caribbean or more North American than Hispanic.

Asian and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
Yes, some are of African descent..
Look up the word Negrito.
Negritos and Aeta are NOT of African descent. Genetically they cluster with indigenous Asian and Mongoloid populations.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
no because they are not in or from latin america.

haitians are latino because the country is located in latin america and french is a latin language. the entire island is called hispaniola, by the way...iirc, the whole island was controlled by the domincans at one point.

haitians are not hispanic, however, because they don't speak spanish (generalization. i'm sure a few that border hop/live near the border speak both languages).

your "typical" haitian will probably not refer to him/herself as a latino because latino to many ppl in the u.s. (and outside) is a race. of course it isn't true, but americans and many latinos/hispanic ppl are ignorant on the entire subject. its muddy water.

also, there is a stigma behind being black in latin america...thats another subject tho.
Actually it's the other way around. It was the Haitians that stole and conquered and ruled the entire island under a brutal regime and did lots of brutal things to the Dominican side of the island. Haiti has continually stopped at nothing since it's independence to conquer and pillage the entire island and subjugate Dominicans to their control and tutelage.

And Latino is not a race. People don't even know how to describe Latino. There is no such thing as looking Latino. Latinos can be of any race. Ppl think of Latino looks as being stereotypically exotic or ambiguous. Ppl are so brainwashed by PC semantics.

Also, as for supposed stigma around blackness (which is not entirely the case or the entire truth as things are way more nuanced than that), Dominicans often can and are just as black as Haitians are lots of the time.

And keep in mind Haiti is mixed, it's not pure black like how many like to label it. It's very diverse.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Wow, that's pretty narrowminded AND ignorant. (Not all asians or southeast asians are buddhists) Christianity was forced upon most of the ancestors of Christians in the world today, either by force or economic factors, or deceit. Filipinos today who are CATHOLIC or CHRISTIAN were born well after the fact that the Spanish had coercively proselytized the islands. They are willing christians who reject most animist or east asian beliefs.

That being said, I think the Phillippines does fall into a somewhat Hispanic category. They watch Mexican novelas (I was floored to learn that!). Their names are Spanish. Many of their words are Spanish (days of the week, numbers, etc). And they also have many unfortunate similarities with LatinAmerican countries rather than Asian countries (legacy of our wonderful motherland Spain): totalitarian dictators, coups, massive corruption within the government, slow economic growth, massive emigration to wealthier nations, kidnappings, etc.

If a filipino doesn't want to be considered Hispanic, cool. But if a filipino says, "I am hispanic" I'll say, "wassup hermano!"

Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has reinstated Spanish as one of the official languages of the Philippines, btw.
Christianity may have existed or arrived to the Philippines before the arrival of the Arabs, Portuguese, and Spanish according to some theories divulged by some historians. More proof needs to be found on it though.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Wow, that's pretty narrowminded AND ignorant. (Not all asians or southeast asians are buddhists) Christianity was forced upon most of the ancestors of Christians in the world today, either by force or economic factors, or deceit. Filipinos today who are CATHOLIC or CHRISTIAN were born well after the fact that the Spanish had coercively proselytized the islands. They are willing christians who reject most animist or east asian beliefs.

That being said, I think the Phillippines does fall into a somewhat Hispanic category. They watch Mexican novelas (I was floored to learn that!). Their names are Spanish. Many of their words are Spanish (days of the week, numbers, etc). And they also have many unfortunate similarities with LatinAmerican countries rather than Asian countries (legacy of our wonderful motherland Spain): totalitarian dictators, coups, massive corruption within the government, slow economic growth, massive emigration to wealthier nations, kidnappings, etc.

If a filipino doesn't want to be considered Hispanic, cool. But if a filipino says, "I am hispanic" I'll say, "wassup hermano!"

Gloria Macapagal Arroyo has reinstated Spanish as one of the official languages of the Philippines, btw.
+1

Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
latino = from latin america so no, a french canadian would not be more "latino" than a mexican american that doesn't know how to speak spanish. france is not located in latin america so its not possible for french ppl to be latino (of course now if you have a haitian immigrant or any other immigrant from latin america in france thats a different story but you should understand what i'm saying).

hispanic = spanish speaking, so no, a filipino is not hispanic because they do not come from a spanish speaking country. they also would not be latino because the Philippines are not located in latin america.

a lot of ppl are confused about the terms hispanic and latino. one can be a latino but not hispanic, for example. and hispanic isn't a race.
So then I guess by your logic, Puerto Ricans are NOT Hispanic or Latino. Also they are an unincorporated commonwealth territory of the USA.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
The Filipinos are culturally very close to the rest of Latin America. Culture wise, they are predominately Catholic, Spanish customs are so inborn in them that it is has benefited them in being able to socialize with westerners much better and for a longer time than other Asians such as the Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
Filipino men like to shoot pool, like watch cockfights, and like to dance. (Similar to many Latin Americans). And they eat Spanish type foods such as guisados, arros with chicken, soups, etc. etc.
In California history for example the Chinese and Japanese immigrants stayed to themselves. The Filipinos were disliked because they were seen as unruly, carried knives, were involved in bar fights and like to date white women. Even the other Asians perceived them as strange.
Fillipinos are perhaps the oldest Asian group in the Western Hemisphere. They accompanied Spanish colonists and conquistadores in their conquest of lands throughout the globe. There was also the Manila galleon trade which led to the establishment of Filipino colonies and settlements throughout the Spanish colonial period in places throughout Mexico, Saint Milo/Malo, Louisiana, Pinar del Rio, Cuba etc.

So Filipinos have a +520 year existence and history in the Western hemisphere new world.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:50 AM

Enrique Iglesias mother is Fillipina. She is descended from some of the oldest elite Spanish settlers and their descendants that still live there today. She has mixed ancestry, but has a high amount of European Spanish lineage.

I think they also have Sephardic Filipino Jewish ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia