U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 PM

6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times

Advertisements

None of the Hispanic countries is doing well now anyway. Even Spain is going down.

The Philippines should trash their colonial mentality and make their own unique culture. You can borrow from the west, from Japan, China, whatever, but do not label yourselves as a colony.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,845,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
None of the Hispanic countries is doing well now anyway. Even Spain is going down.

The Philippines should trash their colonial mentality and make their own unique culture. You can borrow from the west, from Japan, China, whatever, but do not label yourselves as a colony.
It doesn't have anything to do with economy. It is about our history, culture and identity.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Please explain the bold. Everything else you said are just facts that don't elaborate or support your personal opinion (the first sentence). In fact, since Philippine Independence was catapulted with a lot of Spanish influence behind it (as evidenced in your quoted post), why separate in the first place? Could it be that there is some Malay/Austronesian identity hiding underneath that yearns for independence?

original question: "What are your thoughts on Philippine Independence?"

As expressed in this thread, it seems there would be no problem today if the Philippines was an annexed territory of Spain just like Puerto Rico/Guam/American Samoa/etc. are for the United States. There needs to be an explanation as to why Philippine Independence happened in the first place when prevailing opinions in this thread embrace Spanish culture. It has already been agreed many posts back that Philippines is semi-Hispanic in culture, so there is no more debate on that.

I am also still waiting for an explanation as to why the majority of the Philippines population does not speak Spanish just like Mexico does, even though the Philippines was colonized longer than Mexico. For example, why does Mexico not retain its indigenous languages such as Nahuatl/Zapotec/etc. as a majority among its people? Please explain.
My thoughts about Philippine Independence was not a mistake, Filipinas just wanted to govern it's own country and it's own people, by the Filipino and that includes those Spanish born or Insulares in the Philippines. Some Insulares was actually part of the Philippine Independence. Before they became Filipino Citizens or Nationals, everyone was actually a Spanish Citizen (1812 Spanish Constitution) including the indigenous, Spain acknowledge all native born in the Philippines as subject of Spain including all the Spanish Colonies in Americas that's why Rizal and other Illustrados or those full native born Filipinos who can afford to study in college locally and abroad can go to other countries. This was also the period when Filipinos started to used Spanish as National Language meaning the widespread of Spanish Language. US replaced the Spanish to English, It was actually a force although it's free to all but to control also our education.

The reason why Illustrados and other Filipinos wanted independence was because the racial discrimination, those bad friars that govern the country & there are also native Filipinos who are bad against its own people so both sides there was good and bad people not all friars are bad in fact Rizal had close Spanish friend who fought for him during his trial. Rizal and other national heroes including Aguinaldo acknowledge Spain and even call it 'Mother Country' & that includes Andres Bonifacio, he even wrote a poem 'Hikbi ng Pilipinas sa Inang Espanya'. The only bad idea is that he wanted to call the Archipelago 'Katagalogan' which I am sure a lot don't want the Philippines to call that name. Bonifacio is a mestizo & not just full malay eventhough he has Spanish ancestry he still love the country and wanted independence but never hated Spain most heroes hated only those who govern the country. Actually when they decided to make Tagalog as National Language it just created a new imperialism to other Non-Tagalog speaker. I know some tagalog who felt superiority against those who are not. I actually don't like stereotyping, that Visayas are like that, Tagalog is like this, Kapampangan is like that, Maranao is like this, Ilocanos are so like this etc.

That's why during the Spanish-American war there was different group of Filipinos fighting for both side, For Independence (Revelutionario) and those Filipinos under the Spanish Government. The only mistake was during before the declaration of Philippine Independence was when Emilio Aguinaldo agreed, coordinate and trusted the Americans that they will help us but at the end, they took over the country & never acknowledge the 1898 Philippine Independence & said Philippines was sold to the US including Puerto Rico and Guam but who knows we were betrayed already since the beginning. When everyone were declared as Filipino Nationals and sang the 1st Philippine National Anthem, raising the new Philippine National flag during the 1st 1898 Independence. US took that new Nationality from Filipinos during 1899 not until 1946 before the declaration of Independence under the US government. Filipinos were stateless during those time even during the commonwealth they still need to control our government that's why we had this problem "Pork Barrel" which is now a controversy and wanted to demolished that. "Pork Barrel" was introduced by Americans during the Commonwealth era.

The Philippine Independence seems wasted already specially the government officials that took over the country to govern us, only few is actually doing well and the Filipinos too who sell their votes out & choosing a wrong politician all the time. Aren't those who are in the government are the ones that was descended from the Rajah's, Sultans' etc. converted catholic families? We already, fought for democracy during the Edsa Revolution but look at what happened? What do you think is the problem? Compare the life of the Filipinos before and today?

The Original Composition of
Philippines National Anthem (12 June 1898)

Lyrics by : Jose Palma
He published it for the first time in the issue of the first anniversary of the newspaper La Independencia on September 3rd,1899. BANNED in all official acts in the Philippines since the the first day of the American occupation until NOW!

But well History already happened, There was Jose Rizal idiomatic expression 'Ang Hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay di makakarating sa paroroonan' (He who does not know how to look back at where he came from will never get to his destination). So past is part of our future like they always say. What is more important to me now is my National Identity, Filipino & that includes my native ethnic too. Our culture is no longer just Austronesian.

^One of the Philippine Folk Dance - Surtido
I'm proud of our folk dances and music

Last edited by pinai; 01-04-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Why should we borrow culture from the countries you mentioned ? Why should we borrow culture from China ??? China doesn't have anything to do with us. I love our hispanic culture ( religion, foods, traditions, ways, words and surnames ), so why should we still borrow from other countries when we already have our culture ?

Last edited by Hermosaa; 01-04-2014 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,963,772 times
I am proud to all our National Dances , I like our Folk Dances and Music

Philippine Folk Dance - Cordillera Dances
Animist Filipino Dance

Philippine Folk Dance - Lulay
Lowland Catholic Filipino Dance

Philippine Folk Dance - Kappa Malong Malong
Muslim Filipino Dance

Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:

You do not know what you are talking about as it is not your culture. There are so many things about hispanic culture...Hispanics love big fiestas and know how to live their lives.what about the countries you mentioned ? It's all about work and money in these countries you mentioned.Chinese are very moneycentric, that is something that doesn't go with our religion.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM

41 posts, read 205,238 times
^^ Filipino is not solely about Hispanic my dear. Note that not all Filipinos practice Hispanic culture. Base on your previous posts, albeit you have a very strong Hispanic culture in you and I respect that but you also have to understand that there are also Chinese Filipinos who practice Chinese culture, Indian Filipinos who practice Indian culture and Muslim Filipinos who practice Islamic culture and so on and these peoples are also our Filipino brothers regardless of ethnicity. In my case, I have a mixed Chinese, Spanish and Malay ancestry and our family practice Hispanic and Chinese culture at home. We are baptized Catholics (Hispanic) while at the same time we practice moderate Feng Shui (Chinese). In that way, neither my Hispanic nor my Chinese culture overpower the other. You have to be culture sensitive esp in a culturally diverse country like the Philippines. Just because you have strong Hispanic culture in you, you will immediately label the whole country Hispanic which is wrong. That's the reason why our Muslim Filipinos in Mindanao feel alienated about the Philippines and wanted to become independent because most Filipinos esp in Christianized Luzon and the Visayas are so fond about their Hispanic past that they tend to be insensitive and discriminating of our Muslim brothers in the south. We Filipinos should respect our individual cultural heritages and learn to be culturally and religiously tolerant.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierro View Post
^^ Filipino is not solely about Hispanic my dear. Note that not all Filipinos practice Hispanic culture. Base on your previous posts, albeit you have a very strong Hispanic culture in you and I respect that but you also have to understand that there are also Chinese Filipinos who practice Chinese culture, Indian Filipinos who practice Indian culture and Muslim Filipinos who practice Islamic culture and so on and these peoples are also our Filipino brothers regardless of ethnicity. In my case, I have a mixed Chinese, Spanish and Malay ancestry and our family practice Hispanic and Chinese culture at home. We are baptized Catholics (Hispanic) while at the same time we practice moderate Feng Shui (Chinese). In that way, neither my Hispanic nor my Chinese culture overpower the other. You have to be culture sensitive esp in a culturally diverse country like the Philippines. Just because you have strong Hispanic culture in you, you will immediately label the whole country Hispanic which is wrong. That's the reason why our Muslim Filipinos in Mindanao feel alienated about the Philippines and wanted to become independent because most Filipinos esp in Christianized Luzon and the Visayas are so fond about their Hispanic past that they tend to be insensitive and discriminating of our Muslim brothers in the south. We Filipinos should respect our individual cultural heritages and learn to be culturally and religiously tolerant.
I was talking about the hispanic culture of the Filipinos as an answer to trashing the hispanic culture in the Philippines. If you practice Chinese culture then you are exempted, but as I practice hispanic culture in my family, I believe I have the right to answer him. Also, majority of the Filipinos practice hispanic culture more than Chinese culture.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:02 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,079,802 times
I was once told by a Filipina woman I was dating, that Filipinos are of the Asian race, and of the Hispanic ethnicity.

I took her word for it, for the obvious reason.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
It was actually the French and Napoleon that coined the term of Latin America. The concept was called "Amerique Latine".

France most of what would become part of the USA later on at the time that they developed the concept idea of Latin America.
Sure, but I can confirm that French Canadians do not consider themselves to be "Latin American" or part of "Latin America".

Though you do hear people say that we have a "latin temperament" (tempérament latin) but this is generally in reference to people in places like France and Italy, and not really related to Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or