U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2014, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA..don't go to GSU
1,110 posts, read 1,345,014 times
Reputation: 366

Advertisements

You have very biased polling questions.

It should be:

Yes
Semi-Hispanic
No

 
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Does this include all of the hundreds of islands that make up the country or only the larger ones that were occupied by Spain?
well if you check the population, majority are Catholics it's like between 80-90% are . Most of our festivities are related to our religion. so most of the population practices the customs and tradition. semana santa, flores de mayo, todos los santos etc. so you can't deny also that it is so visible when it comes to culture. so when it comes to parties expect food like afritada, menudo, mechado, lechon, leche flan, morcon, or pastillas, empanada etc. so when it comes to Catholic surnames so expect Reyes, de los Santos, expect similar Debut or Quencinera for young ladies. This are just few practices. Filipino Catholics practices the same as what Latin America or Mexico does & not all Catholics practices the same thing. That's why the guy on the video says Spain and Mexico that mostly contributed. If you know the tradition and customs of Philippines, Spain and Mexico or other Latin America you will know. Food, Clothing, language, Architecture, Customs and Tradition etc.

Last edited by pinai; 03-11-2014 at 08:40 AM..
 
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times
Reputation: 402
Philippines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asFASbQW7JY


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPWCKHDeL6c


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoE51oJJXUk


Mexico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGIMFjgUkQs

Not all Catholics do the same thing of practices.

Last edited by pinai; 03-11-2014 at 11:01 AM..
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:38 AM
 
695 posts, read 736,990 times
Reputation: 922
If the Phillipines are so Hispanic, why weren't they able to retain the Spanish Language? Cuba and Puerto Rico are much closer to the US and had much larger migration and investment from the US and they never lost the Spanish language though they were conquered at the same time, so why did the Philippines?
 
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
If the Phillipines are so Hispanic, why weren't they able to retain the Spanish Language? Cuba and Puerto Rico are much closer to the US and had much larger migration and investment from the US and they never lost the Spanish language though they were conquered at the same time, so why did the Philippines?
The Spanish priests and missionaries learned the local languages instead of teaching Filipinos Spanish. I'm glad this happened because we still have over 100 languages, spoken by the vast majority of the population. Spanish was an important 2nd or 3rd language for Filipinos because they used it to communicate with Filipinos who spoke other languages. But during American period, English was pushed so much in education and government that Spanish was no longer needed as a lingua franca. It ceased being an official language in 1987. You cant compare the Philippines to Puerto Rico, because most Puerto Ricans speak Spanish as their native language, so English only came as a 2nd language. In the Philippines, Spanish was a 2nd or 3rd language for most people, not a native language, so English easily replaced Spanish. It's much easier to replace a lingua franca than a mother tongue.

Like I said earlier, the fact that Filipinos dont speak Spanish is the main reason why Filipinos cannot be considered Hispanic. But there are a lot of other cultural factors that would make Filipinos at least semi-Hispanic IMO. If Filipinos aren't Hispanic at all, then 333 years of history never. You would have to visit the Philippines and a Latin American country (or Spain) to really realize the Hispanic influence in the Philippines.

Last edited by Smtchll; 03-11-2014 at 11:07 AM..
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, California
1,953 posts, read 5,208,200 times
Reputation: 2294
in conclusion, the Philippines is just as Hispanic as Mexico, but the stereo type is only the people of Mexico or South America are the true Hispanics


they are both in the same situation being colonized by Spain for over 300 years but on different sides of the globe
 
Old 03-11-2014, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,968,342 times
Reputation: 402
Another Filipino Custom and Tradition by Filipino Catholics
the celebration of Flores de Mayo / Santacruzan nationwide every year on the month of May


Flores De Mayo History - YouTube


History of Sta. Cruzan - YouTube


Flores de Mayo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,466,841 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
in conclusion, the Philippines is just as Hispanic as Mexico, but the stereo type is only the people of Mexico or South America are the true Hispanics


they are both in the same situation being colonized by Spain for over 300 years but on different sides of the globe
Thats your conclusion. Not mine.. And pinoy ako (si papa)
Ive never met a filipino that called themselves hispanic until this thread.
Youre entitled to your opinion, this is mine and no pinai, no matter how many copyrighted videos you post, i wont agree with you. We are asian.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Hispanic?s=t
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
 
9,334 posts, read 19,466,841 times
Reputation: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Latin influences are very strong in Philippines. That's the root and base of Filipino culture, gastronomy, folklore, integrity, morals, values, intuition and esoteric spiritual consciousness.

Based on your logic, you'd probably say Philippines is Anglo or Brittanic due to the USA occupying it and imposing English. Hmm -_-

O_o

Spanish is still very important in Philippines and remains to and at it's core in Philippines.

What about Puerto Rico or Guam or Samoa? Would you say they aren't Latin or Hispanic due to USA occupation? Many of the cultural traits and language remain in these cultures and folklore.
Only .5% are native spanish speakers.. Not very important, imo
Its no longer a national language as well.
 
Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Thats your conclusion. Not mine.. And pinoy ako (si papa)
Ive never met a filipino that called themselves hispanic until this thread.
Youre entitled to your opinion, this is mine and no pinai, no matter how many copyrighted videos you post, i wont agree with you. We are asian.
Hispanic | Define Hispanic at Dictionary.com
The term Hispanic is not known to Filipinos in the Philippines, so why would they call themselves that. People in the Philippines call themselves Asian, because the Philippines is in Asia, or they just call themselves Filipino.

However, if you were to ask Filipinos which cultures are similar to them, they'd probably name some Hispanic countries along with Malaysians, Indonesians, and other Southeast Asians. Filipinos don't deny Hispanic culture or heritage, it's just that the term "Hispanic" is just unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top