U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2010, 09:42 PM

985 posts, read 3,262,094 times

Advertisements

Another great video where you can see how southeast Asians look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
if you look at the individuals, at their nose and/or eyes and/or hair and/or skin, a lot of them don't fit into either negr nor cauc nor mong, and if you go to those countries yourself, you'll see even more variations.
Nose form varies from negroid (called pésék) to caucasoid (called mancung).
Eyes vary from mongoloid (called sipit) to ???.
Hair texture from kinky (negroid) to straight (???).
Skin color from dark (negroid) to light (???).
Lips vary from thick (negroid) to thin (???).
Etc.

You may consider them as:
-a mix of negroid and/or caucasoid and/or negroid and/or any additional race (australoid, capoid, dravidian, pacific, etc.)
-a whole 'nother race altogether
-a part of one human race

Choose your pick.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:15 PM

Thumbs up SE Asians

SE Asians

He** Obama could pass easily for an ordinary Indonesian if it wasn't for his height!

In this video (about Obama) you could also see how SE Asians look like. The last guy interviewed has mongoloid eyes and negroid hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
if you look at the individuals, at their nose and/or eyes and/or hair and/or skin, a lot of them don't fit into either negr nor cauc nor mong, and if you go to those countries yourself, you'll see even more variations.
Nose form varies from negroid (called pésék) to caucasoid (called mancung).
Eyes vary from mongoloid (called sipit) to ???.
Hair texture from kinky (negroid) to straight (???).
Skin color from dark (negroid) to light (???).
Lips vary from thick (negroid) to thin (???).
Etc.

You may consider them as:
-a mix of negroid and/or caucasoid and/or negroid and/or any additional race (australoid, capoid, dravidian, pacific, etc.)
-a whole 'nother race altogether
-a part of one human race

Choose your pick.

Last edited by Neutre; 02-08-2010 at 10:23 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
The Filipinos are culturally very close to the rest of Latin America. Culture wise, they are predominately Catholic, Spanish customs are so inborn in them that it is has benefited them in being able to socialize with westerners much better and for a longer time than other Asians such as the Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
Filipino men like to shoot pool, like watch cockfights, and like to dance. (Similar to many Latin Americans). And they eat Spanish type foods such as guisados, arros with chicken, soups, etc. etc.
In California history for example the Chinese and Japanese immigrants stayed to themselves. The Filipinos were disliked because they were seen as unruly, carried knives, were involved in bar fights and like to date white women. Even the other Asians perceived them as strange.
Interesting remark.
Among Asians raised in America, Filipino men are the least endogamous, followed closely by Korean men.
Only 35.6% of Filipino men married Filipino women (39.5% of Korean men married Korean women).
As a comparison, over 50% of Indian, Japanese, and Chinese men married endogamously, and 71% of Vietnamese men married Vietnamese women.
Source

I don't think Asians perceive Filipinos as strange. Fact is simply that most Americans associate "Asian" with the sinosphere, and to a less extent, the indosphere. Filipinos don't fall into either of them, making them a bit "eccentric". (See Smtchll's post)

Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 PM

332 posts, read 565,692 times
Most Filipinos have either an Asian or a Pacific Islander phenotype. Only a very small minority of Filipinos have a Hispanic looking phenotype. So no Filipinos should not be lumped into the came category as Mexicans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, etc.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:50 AM

3 posts, read 15,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Well there's a language in the Philippines called Chavacano, it's mostly Spanish words but native grammar:

YouTube - Chavacano de Zamboanga

It's spoken by 500,000 to a million people. Would they be considered Hispanic?
NO they don't fit. although chavacano has many spanish words, it is not spanish. i met one who speaks that & honestly i don't understand it clearly & to think that i speak spanish. brazilians & portuguese also their language is more closer to spanish than this one but they're not hispanics. another thing their cultures is very very asian & too far from hispanic. and their still look malays.

Last edited by españolamexicana; 05-08-2010 at 04:26 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 04:11 AM

i'm hispanic & for me filipinos in general are not hispanic coz:

1. they don't speak spanish. yes there have some spanish in tagalog but majority is no spanish. the language is very very far from spanish so the some spanish words there isn't enough

2. their cultures overall are asian. sure there is spanish influences but filipino culture is predominantly asian & have more in common w/ chinese, malaysians & indonesians than spanish or latin americans. also its more close to americans than spanish.

3. more than 95% of filipino people are of asian origin & only very tiny percent have hispanic heritage.

although spain colonized phils, overall there wasn't any big impact aside from the catholic religion & surnames, unlike in latin america. the people were able to retained their malay offsprings, customs & way of life. honestly whenever i talk to filipinos, i feel like talking to a chinese, malaysians or indonesians & without the same connection as i have when i'm with my fellow latinos. sorry guys but you just need to accept the fact that you can't be hispanics & don't try to squeeze yourself into something you're not. just because there are tiny percent of hispano-filipinos there doesn't make filipinos hispanic. US & UK has a lot more hispanic population than phils but never hear their local people claiming themselves hispanics. you just concentrate on being asians.

Last edited by españolamexicana; 05-08-2010 at 04:22 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 04:28 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by españolamexicana View Post
i'm hispanic & for me filipinos in general are not hispanic coz:

1. they don't speak spanish. yes there have some spanish in tagalog but majority is no spanish. the language is very very far from spanish so the some spanish words there isn't enough

2. their cultures overall are asian. sure there is spanish influences but filipino culture is predominantly asian & have more in common w/ chinese, malaysians & indonesians than spanish or latin americans. also its more close to americans than spanish.

3. more than 95% of filipino people are of asian origin & only very tiny percent have hispanic heritage.

although spain colonized phils, overall there wasn't any big impact aside from the catholic religion & surnames, unlike in latin america. the people were able to retained their malay offsprings, customs & way of life. honestly whenever i talk to filipinos, i feel like talking to a chinese, malaysians or indonesians & without the same connection as i have when i'm with my fellow latinos. sorry guys but you just need to accept the fact that you can't be hispanics & don't try to squeeze yourself into something you're not. just because there are tiny percent of hispano-filipinos there doesn't make filipinos hispanic. US & UK has a lot more hispanic population than phils but never hear their local people claiming themselves hispanics. you just concentrate on being asians.
I'm half Filipino and I think most Filipinos are proud that we're not Hispanic. We're proud that we have 170+ native languages that we speak. If we were like Latin America, then we'd all be speaking Spanish instead of our native languages. That's kinda boring, especially since I'm so interested in languages & linguistics. The Philippines is fascinating in that aspect.

On another note, Filipinos are not really closely related to Mainland Asians. Filipinos are culturally, linguistically, and genetically connected to Indonesians, Malaysians, Polynesians, and Micronesians. Collectively known as "Austronesians"

The Philippines also had a lot of Indian-influence. Most of the pre-Hispanic culture was influenced by India. Here's a traditional dance that shows Indian-influence. You mostly see Spanish dances nowadays though

YouTube - Dayang Dayang dance

That's a glimpse of pre-Hispanic Philippines

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-08-2010 at 04:36 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 05:02 AM

Default 100% hispanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Also, while it is true that Tagalog/Filipino has many Spanish loanwords (mostly for nouns and objects that didn't exist before modern times), they are very different languages.

Here; try reading the first paragraph of Jose Rizal's novel "Noli Me Tangere," from 1887:

There are some Spanish loanwords in there, but it is very, very far from the Spanish language as a whole.
yeah. i can't understand anything there except for words capitan & octubre

Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM

Just thought I'd let you know, Filipinos in the Philippines have no desire to be Spanish. Anything Spanish is viewed as old & outdated. Most Filipinos follow American stuff, and they mix English with their native language. Example:

YouTube - Pantene "Gretchen"

If you took out a few words, it might as well be an American commercial. Yeah it's pretty annoying, but this is how celebrities and rich people talk in normal conversations.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM

This is original Filipino culture. No Indian, Chinese, or Spanish influence. No Mexican hat dance either, just Filipino culture:

YouTube - Ati-Atihan 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or