U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 01:40 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,672,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
It seems that many Filipinos are proud being colonized? i don't really understand it, of course it's part of your heritage but maybe just different ideology.
I wouldn't say "proud" of being colonized, but a part of the Filipino culture and heritage came from the colonizers and people tend to be proud of their own culture. Without Spanish influence, Filipino culture is not what it would be today. It is unlike Indonesia where Indonesians did not adopt Dutch culture and there are very few Indonesians that have Dutch ancestors. While there is a lot of injustice committed by colonizers, there are some influences that people nowadays recognize as having present-day positive impact. Most Filipinos now are happy that they're Catholics. I believe Singapore is proud that it is English-speaking, which is also something that came from the British colonial period. Even though it was unfairly ceded by the British and it did not absorb a lot of British culture, most people in Hong Kong will recognize that its economy will probably not what it is today if it did not become British territory.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:52 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
contrary to popular belief, most Filipinos don't brag all day long about Spanish influence. You always hear Filipinos saying "we're a mix of Malay, Spanish, Chinese, American, etc etc" They don't just say "we're a former Spanish colony" and leave it at that. Spanish is just one of the influences.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 AM

Filipino culture really is influenced by Spanish as well as Mexican culture, through being governed from Mexico part of its history as well as the Manila-Acapulco galleon trade. It is also originally and still is Asian in a lot of ways, as well as heavily influenced by American culture. Latin America is of course more heavily influenced, as evidenced by language and ancestry. The Philippines is nowhere near the percentage of any Latin American countries in terms of people having Spanish descent or the importance of Spanish in daily life. So part of the problem with the question is how much Spanish influence do you have to adopt in order to qualify as Hispanic or semi-Hispanic? After all, modern Filipino culture is a hodgepodge of Asian, Spanish and American.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 AM

2,384 posts, read 5,857,765 times
Quote:
Filipinos aren't alone too, the Vietnamese surprisingly are proud of being colonized by the French and replicate a lot of the stuff the French did, despite the war and conflict with the French. Indonesians in general are unhappy and despise of their colonial past but wouldn't deny it and some are interested in the heritage, Indonesians are more proud of atleast managing to kick the Dutch back to Europe even though they lose a lot of wars, in the past even western looking buildings the Dutch left would be neglected and purposely demolished, but today it seems the hatred have dimmed. Many Africans country are also colonial formed but majority seems to be unhappy about the European scrambling in Africa.
The Spanish colonisation really changed the Philippines.The colonisation left a big impact because they were the ones who helped shape our culture, from religion, customs and traditions, clothing, music, arts and literature and way of life ...so to deny it would be to deny being Filipino.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 AM

5 posts, read 12,887 times
Are you sure the Vietnamese are proud of being colonized by the French?????? Ask some Vietnamese in both Vietnam and western countries, but don't ask those Vietnamese living in France.

I think most Vietnamese now living in Vietnam having very little influenced by the French. Indonesians are little influenced by the Dutch. Koreans are little influenced by the Japanese.
Quote:
Filipinos aren't alone too, the Vietnamese surprisingly are proud of being colonized by the French and replicate a lot of the stuff the French did, despite the war and conflict with the French. Indonesians in general are unhappy and despise of their colonial past but wouldn't deny it and some are interested in the heritage, Indonesians are more proud of atleast managing to kick the Dutch back to Europe even though they lose a lot of wars, in the past even western looking buildings the Dutch left would be neglected and purposely demolished, but today it seems the hatred have dimmed. Many Africans country are also colonial formed but majority seems to be unhappy about the European scrambling in Africa.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXCCMIZU View Post
Are you sure the Vietnamese are proud of being colonized by the French?????? Ask some Vietnamese in both Vietnam and western countries, but don't ask those Vietnamese living in France.

I think most Vietnamese now living in Vietnam having very little influenced by the French. Indonesians are little influenced by the Dutch. Koreans are little influenced by the Japanese.
Lol maybe i felt that way because i met a westernized Vietnamese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I wouldn't say "proud" of being colonized, but a part of the Filipino culture and heritage came from the colonizers and people tend to be proud of their own culture. Without Spanish influence, Filipino culture is not what it would be today. It is unlike Indonesia where Indonesians did not adopt Dutch culture and there are very few Indonesians that have Dutch ancestors. While there is a lot of injustice committed by colonizers, there are some influences that people nowadays recognize as having present-day positive impact. Most Filipinos now are happy that they're Catholics. I believe Singapore is proud that it is English-speaking, which is also something that came from the British colonial period. Even though it was unfairly ceded by the British and it did not absorb a lot of British culture, most people in Hong Kong will recognize that its economy will probably not what it is today if it did not become British territory.
Yes most of the Dutch practices are practiced by the Indo-European people, more than half of them if not most (around 300,000 European fled the country, but 80,000 of them are pure Dutch) fled the country after independence, some returned to Indonesia finding Netherland too different, and it's more or less the Dutch adopting local practices rather than the other way around. The number of Indo-European people in Indonesia is not as low as many had thought and yes they are pro Dutch rule during the struggle but retained their silence because of fear, some like Jose Rizal in Philippines fought along the nationalist too, there are around 1 million Indo-European people as of today but only 12000 Indo people has been identified by their relatives in Netherland, only the elder generation speak Dutch not their grandchildrens and most are Christians.

Last edited by Goshio22; 03-14-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I would love someone who voted the "not at all" to explain to me why they chose it over "semi-Hispanic" You live in a very black/white world apparently
I'm voting "Not at all" and the reason is not because the Philippines has no Spanish influence, but the Spanish influence is much, much less compared to the least Hispanic of any Latin American country. I think the most indigenous (and therefore least Hispanic) of the Latin American countries are Guatemala and Bolivia. However, Spanish is still the main official language there, and as many as 85% or more of the people there can still speak Spanish (even though a lot do not speak it as a first language). Also, as much as 40 to 50% in both countries still have some Spanish ancestry (either identifying as white or mestizo). Contrast that with the Philippines wherein the only people who can speak Spanish are very few, even if we include Chavacano. As a percentage, that will be much, much less compared to any "Hispanic" country. I am also sure that less than 25% of the Philippine population can claim to have 12.5% or more Spanish ancestry. Also, based on US census publications, there has been no specific mention of the Philippines as being Hispanic, and most Filipinos I know do not self-identify as such unless they have significant Spanish ancestry.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:46 AM

Quote:
I'm voting "Not at all" and the reason is not because the Philippines has no Spanish influence, but the Spanish influence is much, much less compared to the least Hispanic of any Latin American country. I think the most indigenous (and therefore least Hispanic) of the Latin American countries are Guatemala and Bolivia. However, Spanish is still the main official language there, and as many as 85% or more of the people there can still speak Spanish (even though a lot do not speak it as a first language). Also, as much as 40 to 50% in both countries still have some Spanish ancestry (either identifying as white or mestizo). Contrast that with the Philippines wherein the only people who can speak Spanish are very few, even if we include Chavacano. As a percentage, that will be much, much less compared to any "Hispanic" country. I am also sure that less than 25% of the Philippine population can claim to have 12.5% or more Spanish ancestry. Also, based on US census publications, there has been no specific mention of the Philippines as being Hispanic, and most Filipinos I know do not self-identify as such unless they have significant Spanish ancestry.
Nobody has to take a genetic test to call himself Hispanic. I think ancestry is not so important. It's about culture, history, and language. The Philippines has a history of Spanish colonization, many cultural influences from Spain and Latin America, but the main thing that's lacking is the Spanish language. So that's why Filipinos are semi-Hispanic to me. I really saw how Filipinos were semi-Hispanic when I visited Spain and saw how many similarities we share with the Spanish (food, architecture, attitude). Also, the many Filipinos I saw in Madrid assimilated just like all the other Hispanic immigrants from various countries. It was as if Filipinos were just another Hispanic immigrant group. The Chinese immigrants seemed more foreign, whereas the Filipino immigrants seemed to fit culturally.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Nobody has to take a genetic test to call himself Hispanic. I think ancestry is not so important. It's about culture, history, and language. The Philippines has a history of Spanish colonization, many cultural influences from Spain and Latin America, but the main thing that's lacking is the Spanish language. So that's why Filipinos are semi-Hispanic to me. I really saw how Filipinos were semi-Hispanic when I visited Spain and saw how many similarities we share with the Spanish. Also, the many Filipinos I saw in Madrid assimilated just like all the other Hispanic immigrants from various countries. It was as if Filipinos were just another Latino immigrant group. The Chinese immigrants seemed more foreign, whereas the Filipino immigrants seemed to fit culturally.
Yes, there are a lot of similarities between the Philippines and Spain. There are also a different set of similarities between Philippines and the U.S. Furthermore, there's also a different set of similarities between the Philippines and Indonesia/Malaysia. You can visit Malaysia or Indonesia and you can notice some similarities too. The reason I voted less "Not at all" is although it is difficult or impossible to actually measure, but it seems the Philippines is less than 50% Hispanic compared to Latin America due to Asian and American influences.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of similarities between the Philippines and Spain. There are also a different set of similarities between Philippines and the U.S. Furthermore, there's also a different set of similarities between the Philippines and Indonesia/Malaysia. You can visit Malaysia or Indonesia and you can notice some similarities too. The reason I voted less "Not at all" is although it is difficult or impossible to actually measure, but it seems the Philippines is less than 50% Hispanic compared to Latin America due to Asian and American influences.
to me, "not at all" means there's no Spanish/Latin American culture, history, food, language at all. So that's why it's confusing to see that most people voted that way. But I guess everyone interprets it differently. Most people see Filipinos as Asian, so they probably dont think that a country can be Asian and Hispanic at the same time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or