U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Fair enough. "Semi" is usually interpreted as at least 50% anyways. Due to the semantics, this poll should have been revised to include a fourth option, one between "semi-Hispanic" and "no, not at all."

And Mindanao may have belonged to Malaysia in an alternate history. Either way, "Philippines" would inevitably be colonized even if the Spanish never arrived since the islands were not united and thus could not defend themselves.

I must corroborate with your personal experiences as well, to an extent. I too live in a big city that has large Filipino and Mexican communities as the minority populations. Although they are more-or-less on friendly terms, they usually keep to their own and are largely ignorant of their "Hispanic similarities."

I think language plays a huge role in their sociocultural divide. For example, I have a Mexican co-worker who tried to mock the Filipino language (in a friendly joking way) and it sounding more like Chinese/Viet with the ching chong sounds and such. It's not like a Mexican will hear/notice a random Spanish word/phrase that a Filipino person said and say, "Hey, I noticed you have some Spanish in your language....let's be friends!" The Mexicans also like to listen to loud mariachi-type music and the youth embrace a sort of cholo/chicano/azteca pride culture, something that Filipinos cannot relate with.

For an interesting observation, it seems Filipinos are assimilating Pacific Islander culture to their own. Just go to any local Filipino cultural festival and you will see hula dances, and a lot of Filipino youth will claim "Pacific Islander pride." I think this is due to the fact that "Asian pride" is usually stereotyped and associated with East Asian culture, and a lot of ignorant people fail to realize that China/Japan/Korea/Vietnam do not solely represent Asians and Asian culture.

Although both groups are lumped together as "brown people," Filipinos and Mexicans have distinct phenotypes which also plays one (of many) factors in the hindrance of finding commonalities between the two groups. As an example, if you take out the language factor, a Filipino could easily blend in a crowd of Malaysian/Indonesian people and not so much in a crowd of Central/South American people.

On the other hand, Mexican food is quite popular with the Filipino youth (at least the Fil-Ams), especially with the California burritos and carne asada fries (which ironically, is Americanized and not really Mexican).

[B]The problem here is that Filipinos who DO embrace the 333 years of Spanish colonization [/B]tend to have a mentality that thousands of years of thriving, pre-Hispanic Austronesian society never existed at all.

No one denies the Austronesian influence that we have, some influence are still there but I do believe that most of it were washed out when the Spanish came and changed most of the culture to hispanic. Kind of like the Latin Americans that also have indigenous and hispanic culture at the same time.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 AM

201 posts, read 264,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
See, I am most interested in this. There almost no trace of pinoy's pagan heritage.
There is a rich oral tradition of folklore in the Philippines. One big one I can recall are mythical creatures. Such as chanak and aswang, etc. I think the elders would tell them to the youth to teach them an important lesson or discourage certain behavior. For example, I remember my grandparents didn't want me to play hide and seek in the dark because some creature (can't remember the name) would kidnap you in the dark and you would disappear forever.

Quote:
How much influence was from there hindu/buddhist kingdoms in southeast asia?
Other than the surviving Sanskrit words in today's Filipino (as you mentioned) that luckily did not get replaced with Spanish loan words, it is hard to quantify the influence of Hindu/Buddhist kingdoms in Philippines because a lot of it was supplanted by the zealous conquistadors. Just know that pre-Hispanic empires like the Srivijaya and Majapahit made contact (and therefore had some degree of influence) with the "Philippines." For example, Enrique de Malacca is believed to have spoken the Malay language and was used by the Spaniards to communicate with the natives of the Philippine archipelago.

Quote:
What did the pinoy's even call themselves before king phillip of spain?
Ancient Chinese maps (circa Song Dynasty) referred to those islands as Ma-i. I'm not sure if the Filipinos even had a name for their islands since the islands were actually not united in pre-Hispanic times. In recent times, some proposed names for the "Philippines" were:
Haring Bayang Katagalugan ("Sovereign Tagalog Nation")
Kapatiran ("Brotherhood") or Katipunan ("Assembly"/"Gathering")
Luzviminda (portmanteau of the first syllables of Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao)
Mahárlika (Sanskrit: Mahardhikka – Nobility)
Rizalia (named after national hero José Rizal)

Quote:
And why would name your nationality after a european that enslaved you?
My gut reaction would say "colonial mentality" but to be fair the Spaniards played a role in uniting the Philippine Islands and their influence is deeply ingrained in Filipino culture (thus the argument that Filipinos are Hispanic/semi-Hispanic). I would have to say the colonial name "Philippines" stuck due to familiarity with the newly independent Filipinos and to the rest of the world.

Quote:
Why don't all pinoys return to paganism?
In an alternate world where Islam never spread to Malaysia/Indonesia and Philippines (and also Spain to the Philippines), it would be cool for a large, united Austronesian nation to exist where paganism flourishes. I feel like deeply ingrained, organized religion like Catholicism in Philippines and Islam in Malaysia/Indonesia have robbed these people of their true national-cultural potential and destiny.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:35 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,145,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
In an alternate world where Islam never spread to Malaysia/Indonesia and Philippines (and also Spain to the Philippines), it would be cool for a large, united Austronesian nation to exist where paganism flourishes. I feel like deeply ingrained, organized religion like Catholicism in Philippines and Islam in Malaysia/Indonesia have robbed these people of their true national-cultural potential and destiny.
Bali is the last defender of pre-Islamic culture of Indonesia, and many elements of pagan religion of the past still deeply root with the Islamic belief in Indonesia. Java and Lombok have the most obvious influence of the past that never dies, there are also few handful of villages populated by pre-Islamic population.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 AM

334 posts, read 358,805 times
YES. Obviously Filipinos are Hispanics AND Latinos and Latins. It's their culture, history, and influence and rooted in historicity and Napoleonic legal codes.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I grew up around many Filipinos and my cousin is Married to one. From what I have seen, Filipinos relate more to other Asians than to Hispanics. I am Mexican and my Filipino friends like hanging out in Asian areas where there are boba shops and Asian cafes. Alot of them, even though they are from areas with a large Mexican population, do not frequent Mexican restaurants or food places very often. In most of my jobs, they don't hang out with Hispanics in a 'we are the same' type of way.

I consider Filipinos Asian.
No one disputes that Filipinos geographically are considered as Pacific or Asian but culturally and in regards to cultural synthesis, Philippines is definitely Hispanic and qualifies as Hispanic due to it's rich and strong Spanish heritage. Filipinos are often even nicknamed the Mexicans of Asia. Spanish speaking Filipinos have long presence and roots and their descendants living in the New World and USA that dates back to the early 1500s. So the cultural and historical ties are there.

Filipinos, Guam, Marinara islands and adjacent and surrounding areas and cultures are Hispanic. The Catholic roots and transmission of ideas, languages, customs, traditions, and legal codes reflects this. Even the Sephardic Jewish and Hispano Muslim influence and context has mixed into culture of Philippines through the Spanish presence.

Filipinos ARE Hispanics, Latinos, and Latins.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 AM

Asian and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive by the way. Asian and Hispanic and vice versa are MUTUALLY INCLUSIVE

Old 03-21-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
The Spanish colonisation really changed the Philippines.The colonisation left a big impact because they were the ones who helped shape our culture, from religion, customs and traditions, clothing, music, arts and literature and way of life ...so to deny it would be to deny being Filipino.

EXACTLY

+1

Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
No one disputes that Filipinos geographically are considered as Pacific or Asian but culturally and in regards to cultural synthesis, Philippines is definitely Hispanic and qualifies as Hispanic due to it's rich and strong Spanish heritage. Filipinos are often even nicknamed the Mexicans of Asia. Spanish speaking Filipinos have long presence and roots and their descendants living in the New World and USA that dates back to the early 1500s. So the cultural and historical ties are there.

Filipinos, Guam, Marinara islands and adjacent and surrounding areas and cultures are Hispanic. The Catholic roots and transmission of ideas, languages, customs, traditions, and legal codes reflects this. Even the Sephardic Jewish and Hispano Muslim influence and context has mixed into culture of Philippines through the Spanish presence.

Filipinos ARE Hispanics, Latinos, and Latins.
I see your point and respect your point of view. However, I have a lot of Filipino friends/family in real life. These people do not consider themselves Hispanic/Latino. I have had this conversation with many of them because I know of the Spanish history and cultural presence there, and I like being well informed about other cultures, so I ask a lot of questions! They always recognize the Spanish influence and history, but they are very proud of their pinoy culture. Why not just accept that the Philippines is a very unique place? Good for them actually that they do not speak Spanish! They got to retain their local language which is very meaningful.

It seems like there is division on this, but from my personal experience, I will respect their choices and opinions, and not fit them into a box/category that they don't relate to. the point isn't to be right, but to be respectful.

Mixed cultures and colonized cultures will always have these dilemmas. For example, there are also 100% pure Native American Mexicans who have migrated to the US and get categorized as Hispanic, even though they are not.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 PM

1,514 posts, read 999,705 times
Quote:
I also mentioned that I have Filipino friends and family. When I hang out with my Filipino girlfriends, they always want to go hang out in Asian places. That is their preference.
In San Diego, I noticed the opposite. Many Phillipinos seemed to prefer Mexican friends to other Asians. I saw Mexican - Phillipino marriages, but never Phillipino and say, Vietnamese Catholic. Likewise, a Chinese friend of mine once told me over beers that he did not consider Phillipinos to be truly Asian.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 PM

201 posts, read 264,931 times
Quote:
Why not just accept that the Philippines is a very unique place? Good for them actually that they do not speak Spanish! They got to retain their local language which is very meaningful.
. . .
Mixed cultures and colonized cultures will always have these dilemmas. For example, there are also 100% pure Native American Mexicans who have migrated to the US and get categorized as Hispanic, even though they are not.
Though butchered with Spanish loan words, Filipinos should be proud that their native languages have largely survived.

Good point on the Native American Mexican example too.

Quote:
In San Diego, I noticed the opposite.
Which parts exactly? Go to National City and Mira Mesa, for example, and you will notice that the two groups largely stick to their own kind. Yes, there are exceptions such as the ones you observed. Also note that Filipinos in SD tend to live in areas where there are not a lot of whites and (East) Asians, meaning they are more likely to have Filipinos, Mexicans, or blacks as neighbors.

Quote:
No one denies the Austronesian influence that we have, some influence are still there but I do believe that most of it were washed out when the Spanish came and changed most of the culture to hispanic.
The Austronesian legacy will always be there, since most Filipinos are still genetically Austronesian by blood. In short, Filipinos are Austronesians with a semi-Hispanic culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or