U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
In regards to pastries, I always wonder how putos and mamones got named! Are these tagalog words, or did you incorporate them from Spanish? I always crack up when I see these, since as you may know they are bad words for us. 😮
I don't have any clue if these are really Tagalog words that coincided with Spanish words or if these were just incorporated.

Did you get to see the video I posted about the forgotten friendship of Mexico and Philippines ?
Here is a blog of a Mexican who went to the Philippines.

Reflections: A Mexican in Manila | maosoleum

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,848,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
Actually the quote went with this image:

But I get your point, you like the Mestiza, but of course, Asian people aren't simply "mestizas" and come in all shapes sizes and colors. Yet, under the European colonial mindset complexion was the basis of all social stratification and therefore the lighter the better. Like I said you don't get more beautiful or representative of any indigenous population than the original native, which is why they suppress it and replace it with upholding mixture and foreign as the ideal.

More examples of the ideal. And keep in mind that the term "Filipino" actually originated as a reference to the offspring of King Phillips troops and native women. Only later did it become a reference to the people as a whole.

Well, I posted the pretty lady because in your previous post, it was stated that " they had olive skin " and the lady I posted had olive skin, good shape of face and a chiselled nose. I think she had a Filipino colour but with Spanish profile.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 PM

201 posts, read 264,931 times
Quote:
Yes, it was National City (sometimes maligned as "Nasty City"). I see your point about National City Phillipinos having more contact with Mexicans as there are simply more of them around that area than east Asians.
During your observations in National City, did you mostly see the Filipino and Mexican groups intertwining on daily affairs or keep mostly to themselves on neutral but respectable terms? For example, there are Catholic masses held in Spanish on Sundays, but you'll be lucky to find any Filipino attending one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
At the same time, the Phillipines was directly helped by two nations in WWII (USA and Mexico).
Okay, but that's not actually a hidden secret. The Philippines were aided by the allies in WWII which obviously included Mexico as well.

Quote:
Likewise, the Phillipines were not administered from Spain. Rather, they were adminstered from Mexico.
Makes practical sense at the time. Though Madrid is closer to Manila than Mexico City is to Manila, the Philippines was definitely more accessible from Mexico than Spain because airplanes weren't around during those colonial times. This administration from Mexico would only last until Mexican Independence from Spain though.

Quote:
In short, there is a historical cultural connection between the two. My guess is that Phillipinos might say have a cultural mixture that is 50 / 50 asian and hispanic? Or maybe 60% asian, 40% hispanic?
It's difficult to quantify, and you can't really generalize the entire Filipino population because the effects of Spanish influence on the natives varies from region to region. For example, there was less Spanish influence in the southern Philippines where the self-protective Muslims resided. There is no denying that there is a Hispanic component of Filipino culture but the debate now seems to be about how much of Filipino culture is actually Hispanic.

I think Filipinos should be proud to stand by themselves as a unique culture and not feel the need to belong to a group for self-justification. They are definitely not 100% Hispanic but they are not 100% pre-Hispanic Austronesian either.

Quote:
Bali is the last defender of pre-Islamic culture of Indonesia, and many elements of pagan religion of the past still deeply root with the Islamic belief in Indonesia. Java and Lombok have the most obvious influence of the past that never dies, there are also few handful of villages populated by pre-Islamic population.
That is good to know, and Indonesia should be proud to have some part of it that keeps pre-Islamic culture alive. While I don't know of an existing counterpart in the Philippines, the closest would be the various Filipinos who believe in animism and the next closest thing would be the pre-Hispanic Muslims in the southern Philippines who have largely resisted the imperialist Spanish culture.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 AM

83 posts, read 153,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Well, I posted the pretty lady because in your previous post, it was stated that " they had olive skin " and the lady I posted had olive skin, good shape of face and a chiselled nose. I think she had a Filipino colour but with Spanish profile.
That's fine. We know how the colonial mind works regarding race which is why most of those pictures of Mestizos were more white than olive. But all people are beautiful no matter the complexion.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:27 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Quote:
That's fine. We know how the colonial mind works regarding race which is why most of those pictures of Mestizos were more white than olive. But all people are beautiful no matter the complexion.
Philippines (1904?)

THE PHILIPPINES' FIRST MOVIE - YouTube

Embroidery is one of the Occupation of our old folks I hope a lot are still doing this and need to promote more.
Hope they still add in school curriculum about embroidery.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 AM

83 posts, read 153,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Philippines (1904?)

THE PHILIPPINES' FIRST MOVIE - YouTube

Embroidery is one of the Occupation of our old folks I hope a lot are still doing this and need to promote more.
Hope they still add in school curriculum about embroidery.
Nice video, but it is unfortunate that the oldest videos are videos promoting slavery and American plantations.... (as opposed to Spanish ones).

Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 773 times
Voted Semi-Hispanic. Filipino culture is not 100% Austronesian or Asian. They practice both Hispanic and Local culture specially the Filipino Catholics. Most of the festivities is related on their religion which introduced by the Spaniards and those Mexican who went there.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
Filipino culture went from Austronesian (Taiwanese Aborigine) to Malay/Hindu to Spanish/Mexican to American. And now Filipinos pretty much adapt to whatever the pop culture of the world is, whether it be K-Pop or American hip hop. Just go to the fiestas nowadays and listen to the music they dance to. Whatever is "trending" on twitter or viral on youtube, Filipinos definitely know about it.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:08 AM

1,761 posts, read 6,965,755 times
Quote:
Nice video, but it is unfortunate that the oldest videos are videos promoting slavery and American plantations.... (as opposed to Spanish ones).
I just show the embroidery and our government should support it for our own people's benefit and not for other country's benefit.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM

399 posts, read 579,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I just show the embroidery and our government should support it for our own people's benefit and not for other country's benefit.
The Philippines has so much potential that is not being harvested. So many young people. It's too bad that the leaders there don't seem to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or