U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2014, 01:36 PM
 
201 posts, read 265,338 times
Reputation: 69

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipino culture went from Austronesian (Taiwanese Aborigine) to Malay/Hindu to Spanish/Mexican to American. And now Filipinos pretty much adapt to whatever the pop culture of the world is, whether it be K-Pop or American hip hop. Just go to the fiestas nowadays and listen to the music they dance to. Whatever is "trending" on twitter or viral on youtube, Filipinos definitely know about it.
Pretty much this, at least for the Filipino youth and especially the Fil-Am youth.

 
Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 851 times
Reputation: 10
I dont think that filipinos should be considered Hispanic - unless they are hispanic descents to latin people - since the majority of asian filipinos in the philippines is higer than latin filipinos. Just saying it since im basically a minor in the country who is a mexican descent from both my parents' sides .-.
 
Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Filipino culture went from Austronesian (Taiwanese Aborigine) to Malay/Hindu to Spanish/Mexican to American. And now Filipinos pretty much adapt to whatever the pop culture of the world is, whether it be K-Pop or American hip hop. Just go to the fiestas nowadays and listen to the music they dance to. Whatever is "trending" on twitter or viral on youtube, Filipinos definitely know about it.
I think American Pop Culture is all over the world not just in the Philippines, But when it comes to yearly events which we usually celebrate. There is no American like for example folk dances. Do we have American influence in folk dances? Hip Hop dance is all over the world. K-Pop has influence too of modern music which is far from Korean folk music or the J-Pop (Japan Pop Culture) even if they were not American Colony but their pop culture seems influence by the western specially American Pop Culture. I know American influence the modern Music (R&B's etc.)

Folk Dances and Folk Music are the one that usually related in your national identity right?

Last edited by pinai; 03-28-2014 at 04:00 AM..
 
Old 03-28-2014, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I think American Pop Culture is all over the world not just in the Philippines, But when it comes to yearly events which we usually celebrate. There is no American like for example folk dances. Do we have American influence in folk dances? Hip Hop dance is all over the world. K-Pop has influence too of modern music which is far from Korean folk music or the J-Pop (Japan Pop Culture) even if they were not American Colony but their pop culture seems influence by the western specially American Pop Culture. I know American influence the modern Music (R&B's etc.)

Folk Dances and Folk Music are the one that usually related in your national identity right?
Yes American pop culture is everywhere even in France. It's a little bit less in the UK though because their music is usually better than American songs.
Yes, we do not have any American influence in our national dances and folk music.
 
Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM
 
318 posts, read 488,562 times
Reputation: 184
Filipinos are about as Latino as Shaquille O'Neal is Irish.
 
Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Filipinos are about as Latino as Shaquille O'Neal is Irish.
Latino is not a race, someone who just speak a language that belongs to latin language but a latino person can be of any race.


CNN admits Latino isn't a Race - YouTube
 
Old 03-30-2014, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Czech Republic
2,384 posts, read 5,856,825 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Filipinos are about as Latino as Shaquille O'Neal is Irish.
You don't have any clue about Filipino culture and history.
 
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Filipinas
1,761 posts, read 6,971,190 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
You don't have any clue about Filipino culture and history.
Another Festival in the Philippines
Grand Marian Procession, All of the religious images has Spanish
names like Nuestro/Nuestra etc. and this tradition of procession was all introduced during the
1600s by Spaniards/Mexican. Most of these images was transported from the Galleon Ship from
Mexico/Spain to the Philippines which is now part of Filipino Culture and this is yearly event every
first Sunday of December in Intramuros Manila. All Marian images all over the Philippines gathered
all in this procession with beautiful Carroza. So this culture is not an Austronesian obviously which we
cannot claim as Austronesian Malay culture.


Prusisyon Silencio: Intramuros Grand Marian Procession 2013 - YouTube


Intramuros Grand Marian Procession 2013, Nuestra Senora de la Soledad de Nueva Ecija - YouTube
 
Old 03-30-2014, 04:39 PM
 
318 posts, read 488,562 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
You don't have any clue about Filipino culture and history.
Most Filipinos phenotype wise would stick out like a sore thumb in Bogota, Colombia for example. This is 100 percent fact.

The Malay/Austronesian phenotype is not very common in Latin America.
 
Old 03-30-2014, 04:46 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Most Filipinos phenotype wise would stick out like a sore thumb in Bogota, Colombia for example. This is 100 percent fact.

The Malay/Austronesian phenotype is not very common in Latin America.
Being Hispanic isn't about looking a certain way because Argentinians don't look like Dominicans, who dont look like Guatemalans. It's about culture, history, language, etc. Filipinos share some of those things with Hispanics, but not completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top