U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:59 PM

318 posts, read 487,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Being Hispanic isn't about looking a certain way because Argentinians don't look like Dominicans, who dont look like Guatemalans. It's about culture, history, language, etc. Filipinos share some of those things with Hispanics, but not completely.
Hispanic is about looking a certain way. Haven't you ever heard of the term "That person looks Hispanic" ? When someone says a person looks Hispanic, most likely that person does not have a Malay/Austronesian phenotype.

Nobody would ever mistake Manny Pacquiao and Alex Rodriguez for being brothers.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:01 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
A bit off topic but I'm wondering what Filipinos think of Chinese Peruvians, including the many mestizos? They don't seem that well known, but many have that Asian-Hispanic mix. Even most of the contestants of the Miss Chinese Peru beauty pageant look mestizo.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
Hispanic is about looking a certain way. Haven't you ever heard of the term "That person looks Hispanic" ? When someone says a person looks Hispanic, most likely that person does not have a Malay/Austronesian phenotype.

If you go on their racial not all Hispanic are white but they called them Hispanics because they speak Spanish and their culture is from Spain. This was a term used by Americans in the US but if you check now they change it when it comes to racial definition. If you are not updated in US census because the meaning of Hispanic is more on culture that come from Spain and not about race. There are black Hispanic, full Mayan or Aztec Hispanic and lots of other migration in South America that doesn't have Spaniard ancestor.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
A bit off topic but I'm wondering what Filipinos think of Chinese Peruvians, including the many mestizos? They don't seem that well known, but many have that Asian-Hispanic mix. Even most of the contestants of the Miss Chinese Peru beauty pageant look mestizo.
I met a Japanese-Peruvian and I thought she was Filipino because she looked Southeast Asian and she had a Hispanic name

Old 03-30-2014, 05:32 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,248,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I met a Japanese-Peruvian and I thought she was Filipino because she looked Southeast Asian and she had a Hispanic name
Chinese Peruvian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM

307 posts, read 473,381 times
Default Do you consider the Philippine people Hispanic?

In reply to Neuter: Yes and No. Yes, as some alluded to, most of Filipinos have Spanish surnames, and yes, much of the national language (and the dialects as well) is loaded with Spanish words...or Tagalized words of Spanish origin. And some, not too many anymore, still can communicate in Spanish. That's because of some 300 years of Spanish domination. On this basis, yes, I suppose you can consider Filipinos Hispanic. With reservation, of course. No, some would say they're Asians. And of course, there has been a lot of intermarrying between Spaniards (and other folks from Asia, Europe, America) and the native Filipinos in the process. The Spaniards dubbed mixed breeds as criollos or mestizos. And at one point, even called them "indios". So they (the Spaniards...during their rule) did not really consider Filipinos Hispanic, even though most had Spanish surnames and in fact, before the Americans came, many spoke Spanish. Or are they? Then the Americans came and took the Philippines from the Spanish...and 50 years hence, you've got more mixing in the pot. Not just the Spanish or Americans...the Chinese have been trading with the Philippines centuries before the Spanish ventured into the region. Again, when there is so much contact going on (trading or otherwise), expect considerable genetic intermixing as well. Then the Malayans, Indonesians, Arabs, the Dutch, the British...and a host of other folks from practically everywhere, came around...to trade, visit, attempt to conquer, settle...or just have fun. Voila! So what would you make of it? It is difficult to simply categorize people as of this ethnicity/culture or that, on the basis of just language, name, or physical features. But because of the country's proximity to the Asian landmass and Asian physical features, and the asiatic language, it is tempting to simply classify Filipinos as Asian. Yet, because it is the only predominantly Catholic country in the region...one might tend to exclude them from being Asian....who predominantly belong to other non-Christian faiths.
Determining the ethnicity of a group of people by religion is not fair either. I have been haunted by this dilemna for many years...like when I had to fill out race/ethnicity questionnaires. I couldn't quite decide if I am Asian, Pacific Islander, Hispanic or Caucasian. I am all of the above! Bottom line, I feel that it is a personal choice. Yes, I feel Asian....but I have an American name! I was born in the Philippines...and grew up speaking three languages. Mother Catholic, father Presbyterian. I went to both services, attended private Catholic schools...and am also a Buddist. My paternal grandfather is a white American from Ohio; my maternal grandmother is from Spain; my maternal grandfather is a very dark native Filipino and my maternal grandmother is also a native of the Philippines...with a real Filipino surname (not Spanish). There must be a few drops of Chinese blood there somewhere. When I am in the Philippines, people there think I am an American..because I look like an American, speak English like an American...and have an American surname; but they are totally taken by surprise when I start speaking Tagalog like a native. How do I classify myself? I think we should just do away with classifying people by ethnicity, race or national origin. After all, we are all people of the same world. No one really cares where we orignally hailed from...other than out of curiosity. But why the questionnaire about race and ethinicity?

Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 7,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post

Hispanics is about looking a certain way?! First time I've heard something like that. Makes no sense.
Hispanics means people that SPEAK Spanish.

Hispanics can look any way! indigenous/white/euro/mixed/brown/black/etc. etc. they can look like almost any other country in the world. Hispanics don't have a specific look.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 7,948 times
No. Phillipines people aren't Hispanic if they don't speak Spanish & they mostly look like Asians, altough there may be a few that look like the Indigenous Hispanics.
A lot of them do have Hispanic surnames, but that doesn't make them Hispanic. Maybe Spanish descendants.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorex View Post
No. Phillipines people aren't Hispanic if they don't speak Spanish & they mostly look like Asians, altough there may be a few that look like the Indigenous Hispanics.
A lot of them do have Hispanic surnames, but that doesn't make them Hispanic. Maybe Spanish descendants.
you just said "Hispanics can look anyway" and then you brought up the fact that Filipinos mostly look Asian. LOL. The fact that Filipinos mostly look Asian has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that they mostly don't speak Spanish. So 150 years ago, maybe Filipinos were Hispanic by your definition

Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,967,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorex View Post
Well, we don't call ourselves Hispanic or people who came from Latin America because we are no longer part or governed by Mexico, Our country is located in Asia so we are technically Asians in Geographical Location. But if you look back on the history regarding the Philippines and the connection of Latin America specially Mexico & Spain. Philippines was once a province of Mexico so we got a lot of shared culture specially the catholicism practices that we got from Spain up until now although we also mixed it through our pre-hispanic culture, the impact of the Galleon Trading. The Spanish language was replaced by English because of American Occupation that is why Philippines is currently on number 5 as english speaker. It is clear that our culture is not purely malay or austronesian or asian, whatever you call it. It is obvious that there is Hispanic in our culture & there is also Malay or Austronesian / Asian influences etc., in music, language, literature, architecture, food, music etc. which we already claim as our own. Religion has a big role in Filipino Culture be it Catholic, Animism, Muslim.

Semana Santa, Todos los Santos, Fiestas to celebrate patron saint with Spanish names such as Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno, Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de Turumba etc., & even shouting 'Viva Pit Senyor! Santo Nino', and most of these religious images came from Spain through the Acapulco-Manila Galleon trade Pasko rooted from the word Pascua which is also Spanish Language, Santa Cruzan or Flores de Mayo, Noche Buena, These are the important Calendar events of Filipino Culture especially the Catholics.

Quote:
Most of the influence during the colonial period came through Mexico, rather than directly from Spain, as the Philippines was governed as a territory of New Spain. Mexican and Spanish influence is evident in many aspects of Philippine culture including religion, architecture, language, music, fashion, cooking, and traditions.
Quote:
Hispanic influence is based on Indigenous, and European tradition. Folk dance, music, and literature have remained intact in the 21st century. These were introduced from Spain, and Mexico in the 16th century, and can be regarded as largely Hispanic in constitution, which have remained in the Philippines for centuries.
Quote:
Filipinos at home set up altars in the Hispanic tradition, adorned with Catholic images, flowers, and candles. During fiestas, most communities organise church services and religious processions in honour of a patron saint, hold funfairs and concerts, and feast with a variety of Filipino foods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish...lipino_culture

Last edited by pinai; 04-08-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or