Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Hispanic is a broad cultural term that has come to define the offspring of the Spanish conquistadors and the Amerindians of South and Central America. Speaking Spanish as a first language is not enough, as Spaniards themselves are white, not Hispanic.
hispanic isn't a race tho. you can be white and be hispanic. i think that you're also confusing latino with hispanic.

ppl from spain are spanish and are hispanic. they are not latino.
ppl from cuba, pr, dr, mexico, etc. are hispanic and latino.
there are white, black, native american, asian, etc. ppl that are latino and or hispanic in a lot of spanish speaking countries.

argentina has a large white population, for example. cuba has a large black population. yadda yadda, etc.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Hispanic is a broad cultural term that has come to define the offspring of the Spanish conquistadors and the Amerindians of South and Central America. Speaking Spanish as a first language is not enough, as Spaniards themselves are white, not Hispanic.
See that's what I've always thought, I had a story with that assumption, but I read somewhere that someone from Spain is also considered Hispanic. And that rather surprised me.

From what I remember reading of the census designation Hispanic is basically anyone who says they are Hispanic. Brazilian immigrants can even identify as Hispanic if they so choose despite Brazil never being a colony of Spain or Spanish speaking. (As I recall Brazilians almost never do so though)

Traditionally I thought "Hispanic" meant a person of a former Spanish colony so that's why I once wondered if the Philippines did fit. However once I learned more of their nation I found out Spanish was not even a major language there. Ethnologue indicates only a few thousand Filippinos, most of them in Manilla, speak Spanish.

Ethnologue report for Philippines

Filippino, Tagalog, and English are the main languages.

There are places outside Latin America that could complicate this though. Spanish is an official language of Equatorial Guinea in Africa. Although most of them apparently speak languages called Bube or Fang. (I'm not sure many from Equatorial Guinea come to the US anyway)

Ethnologue report for Equatorial Guinea

However the Canarians, people of the Canary Islands, do speak a variant of Spanish. They're also a mix of Spanish with other things. I guess some Canarians did settle in Texas or Louisiana and there is apparently still an "Isleno" community in Louisiana. One Isleno was a Dixieland jazz musician named Alcide Nunez.

Isleño - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.losislenos.org/history.html

However what I gather the Islenos don't consider themselves Hispanic, this culture is new to me (which is neat for me), except for maybe the Islenos of Puerto Rico.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
brazilians aren't hispanic. they are latino. hispanic = spanish speaking. they speak portuguese.

latino has to do with being in or from latin america.
hispanic has to do with the spanish language.

this is why spanish ppl are hispanic but not latino, why brazilians are latino but not hispanic, why haitians are not hispanic but could be considered latino (they share the island with the dominican republic which is in latin america) and why certain countries' citizens (such as cuba, dr, pr, etc.) are hispanic and latino.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:40 AM

983 posts, read 3,598,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
brazilians aren't hispanic. they are latino. hispanic = spanish speaking. they speak portuguese.

latino has to do with being in or from latin america.
hispanic has to do with the spanish language.

this is why spanish ppl are hispanic but not latino, why brazilians are latino but not hispanic, why haitians are not hispanic but could be considered latino (they share the island with the dominican republic which is in latin america) and why certain countries' citizens (such as cuba, dr, pr, etc.) are hispanic and latino.
Yes. Though in reality the distinctions between Hispanic, Latino, Latin, even Spanish, are pretty diluted.
Some people use them almost interchangeably. I don't blame them though, the meaning of those terms do overlap in many ways.

Anyway, thank you for clarifying your definitions of Hispanic and Latino!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Many other Asian cultures do not consider Filipinos as Asian.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Default Apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any citizens of a country where Catholicism/Christianity was "forced" upon the conquered land, to me, will never truly be Christians or Catholics.

I work with any number of Philipino's and I see right through their Christian talk and see a Bhuddist that will never die.

The same with Mexicans. I see right through them.

I spent 12 years in Catholic parochial schools and I know a Catholic when I see them.

And it even makes me wonder about my ancestral religions, and how much influence they are having on me to this day.
...you have great eyesight..but I still think you need glasses.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM

492 posts, read 1,149,642 times
The Philipino culture has more in common with the Hispanic culture than let’s say the culture from mainland China, Vietnam, Cambodia etc.etc. By the same token the Philipino culture has more in common with the Hispanic culture than the Anglo-Saxon culture. For example a lot of the Philipino food is similar to some of the food I have eaten in S. America and Spain. The great majority of the Philipinos are devout Catholics in fact, there is a very pious Catholic branch that parade themselves carrying crosses and they even let themselves be crucified with nails. I say that Philipinos are Hispanics but with an Asian bend.

Last edited by cjester; 10-15-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 10-15-2009, 11:33 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
The Philipino culture has more in common with the Hispanic culture than let’s say the culture from mainland China, Vietnam, Cambodia etc.etc. By the same token the Philipino culture has more in common with the Hispanic culture than the Anglo-Saxon culture. For example a lot of the Philipino food is similar to some of the food I have eaten in S. America and Spain.
I would not say that is true at all, most Filipino foods seemed to be derived from other Asian countries more so than latin countries.

Pancit and Lumpia, two of the most popular Filipino dishes, are clearly more Asian than any other culture. Pancit is very similar to Japanese and Thai noodles and Lumpia are basically egg rolls.

Adobo is the only popular dish I can think of that is similar to hispanic/latino foods.

I'm Filipino and Hispanic and I do not see how they are that similar to each other to the point Filipinos would be considered Hispanic. The cultures share some similarities but they are not that similar as some on here try to make them out to be.

I just get a kick seeing people of neither ethnicity talk about it.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
The Philipino culture has more in common with the Hispanic culture than let’s say the culture from mainland China, Vietnam, Cambodia etc.etc. By the same token the Philipino culture has more in common with the Hispanic culture than the Anglo-Saxon culture. For example a lot of the Philipino food is similar to some of the food I have eaten in S. America and Spain. The great majority of the Philipinos are devout Catholics in fact, there is a very pious Catholic branch that parade themselves carrying crosses and they even let themselves be crucified with nails. I say that Philipinos are Hispanics but with an Asian bend.

Apparently you are not familiar with any Filipinos or their culture; they are most definitely NOT Hispanic in any way nor does their culture resemble Hispanic life.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
Apparently you are not familiar with any Filipinos or their culture; they are most definitely NOT Hispanic in any way nor does their culture resemble Hispanic life.
Actually Spanish was the Philipine’s official language from the 16th century until the change of Constitution in 1987. The Spanish Crown was there for more than 400 years. Up until the US occupation and administration of the islands English was imposed and Spanish became gradually marginalized. During that period and became the Spanish became the lingua franca of the country's elites in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The national hero José Rizal and other intellectuals wrote most of their works in Spanish. There are thousands of Spanish loan words in 170 native Philippine languages. The 21st century has seen a revival of interest in the Spanish language in the Philipines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia