Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Philippine people Hispanic?
Yes 44 7.01%
Semi-Hispanic 143 22.77%
Not at all 441 70.22%
Voters: 628. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:13 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times

Advertisements

Ethnic groups in the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a wide variety of ethnicity in the Philippines.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,829 times
Filipinos as a whole are not very "Hispanic." However, what matters is the particular individual in question. I have met Filipinos (all of whose families are of partial Spanish descent), speak Spanish, and watch news and television programming in Spanish. I have also met Filipinos who speak no Spanish, know little about Latin culture, and identify only as Filipino or Filipino-American. The former are mostly certainly "Hispanic," the latter are not "Hispanic," and it has nothing to do with race or being "Asian."

Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Filipinos share a common origin with Taiwanese Aborigines (not the Han Chinese that dominate Taiwan today), Indonesians, Malaysians, and Pacific Islanders. They are collectively known as "Austronesians" which is the name of the language family that stretches from Madagascar to Easter Island:

You'd be surprised the amount of similar words that are shared by these groups. For example, the word for "eye" is:

Tagalog (Filipino): Mata
Hawaiian: Maka
Malay: Mata
Samoan: Mata
Malagasy (Madagascar): Maso
Maori (New Zealand): Mata
Tao (Taiwan): Mata

Today these groups are percieved as very different because centuries of outside influence. Filipinos, Indonesians, and Malaysians were heavily influenced by Mainland Asia while Polynesians, Micronesians, and Melanesians were not influenced by Asia and left to develop their own unique cultures. The people of Madagascar were influenced by Mainland Africa. So today, these groups are considered Asian, Pacific Islander, and African, respectively, even though they all have a similar origin & languages.

To add to that, the Philippines was the most European influenced country in the region. Yes other countries like Vietnam, Indonesia, and Malaysia were influenced by European colonizers, but not nearly to the extent as the Philippines. The Philippines came out with a whole new culture after Spanish colonization. So this is why Filipinos face this identity crisis today. So many outside influences. Nevertheless, most Filipinos today consider themselves Asian

Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
No, I consider them Oriental, because they are.

Their Catholicism and historical connection to Spanish/Hispanic culture is irrelevant. Many Sengalese speak French. I don't consider them French or white. Many Indonesians are Muslim. I don't consider them Middle Eastern in any way.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:53 AM

^ I think "Oriental" is more for East Asia (Japan, Korea, China, and Vietnam to a lesser extent) Southeast Asia is pretty different, more Indian than Chinese influence (except in Vietnam)

Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
°Many of the Philippines have Spanish surnames

°Philippine languages are replete with Spanish words

°Philippine cultures in general seem to be more "Latin" compared to other Asian nations.
The only reason why The Philippines people are "Latin" is because of cultural mixing. I still don't know why The Philippines uses pesos as money. And I still have no clue as to how latin america came from across the world into the Philippines and integrated itself into their culture. It's a mystery to me but I definitely DON'T consider them "Latin" by any means.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:36 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
latino = from latin america so no, a french canadian would not be more "latino" than a mexican american that doesn't know how to speak spanish. france is not located in latin america so its not possible for french ppl to be latino (of course now if you have a haitian immigrant or any other immigrant from latin america in france thats a different story but you should understand what i'm saying).

hispanic = spanish speaking, so no, a filipino is not hispanic because they do not come from a spanish speaking country. they also would not be latino because the Philippines are not located in latin america.

a lot of ppl are confused about the terms hispanic and latino. one can be a latino but not hispanic, for example. and hispanic isn't a race.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:

°Philippine cultures in general seem to be more "Latin" compared to other Asian nations.
As a Filipino-American, I don't consider myself in any way, shape, or form 'Latin'. First of all, I'm not Catholic but Muslim with my name being of Arabic origin except for my middle name, which is Spanish. Second of all, not ALL Philippine languages are replete with Spanish words and most Philippine languages are linguistically part of the same family as Bahasa Indonesia or Bahasa Melayu (Malay). It depends how much contact that certain ethnic group had with the Spanish, and mine had very little until the 1870s when they were finally able to take over that part of the Philippines.

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=244-16

In fact, I don't know any Filipino or Filipino American who consider themselves Hispanics.

Even though on the surface, our culture seems to look a lot like Hispanic culture, there are still very many differences. Simply being part of the same empire doesn't mean that you have a lot in common. After all, India and the United States were both under the British Empire. Look how much the US has in common with India.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
latino = from latin america so no, a french canadian would not be more "latino" than a mexican american that doesn't know how to speak spanish. france is not located in latin america so its not possible for french ppl to be latino (of course now if you have a haitian immigrant or any other immigrant from latin america in france thats a different story but you should understand what i'm saying).

hispanic = spanish speaking, so no, a filipino is not hispanic because they do not come from a spanish speaking country. they also would not be latino because the Philippines are not located in latin america.

a lot of ppl are confused about the terms hispanic and latino. one can be a latino but not hispanic, for example. and hispanic isn't a race.
Well there's a language in the Philippines called Chavacano, it's mostly Spanish words but native grammar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34nWf-mcwks

It's spoken by 500,000 to a million people. Would they be considered Hispanic?

Old 02-07-2010, 02:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:

Not at all.

I have known Latino peoples and I have known Filipinos and there is nothing of the Latino culture there even though they have had a strong Hispanic influence historically.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia